• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BarryWalker51

BarryWalker51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

In the Edit Person screen, if I add an Alternate Name for that person and add a Date, then click Save, the newly created Alt Name appears in the Index panel on the left, but without a date, so it appears out of sequence.  

The temporary fix is to go back to the Edit Person screen, change the person's birthdate, by adding a space after the date, then click Save and Close.  The Alt Name now has the date added and is indexed correctly.

Can you force the Index panel to be updated each time you close the Edit Person screen?

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Maybe close all your running programs and reboot your computer, because as soon as I do the same and click the <Save> button ...it appears on the left panel in the correct place every time.

EDIT: I missed your reference to index panel. No you cannot force the index panel to be updated each time you close the Edit Person screen

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

I can duplicate and confirm this behavior:

Capture.jpg

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:40 AM

This has been happening as long as I can remember. It can be fixed by running the File - Database Tools - Rebuild Index command. I do this at least once in each working session (actually, I almost always run all 4 tools). I suspect that the RootsMagician has decided to not automatically run the Rebuild Index tools whenever an Edit Person window is closed because on larger databases it can take a long time (2-3 minutes or longer on my database of nearly 400K records.

#5 BarryWalker51

BarryWalker51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:54 AM

Good tip Zhangrau. I hadn't thought about rebuilding the index, but it works.  Maybe a bug fix could be to only update the Alt Names and date for the current person, when you close the Edit Person screen, instead of rebuilding the whole index each time.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6216 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:55 AM

There have been  or still are issues with screen refreshing not happening when appropriate.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

There are a number of bugs in the setting of the birth dates and death dates for the Index side panel. A lot of them have to do with duplicate birth and death events, and with the adding and deleting of birth and death events after the individual has first been entered into your database. For example, enter John Doe born 1848, exit the Edit Person screen, go back into Edit Person, add a second birth fact for him that says he was born about 1849, exit the Edit Person screen, delete the born in 1848 fact. The index sidebar should now list John's birth date as 1849 but it lists it as blank instead.

As zhangrau said, rebuilding the indexes fixes all the problems (except that the ambiguity about which date to store when there are multiple birth or death facts really can't be solved). I have no problem with the idea of rebuilding the indexes, but I think a lot of the bugs should be fixed so that rebuilding the indexes should not be necessary.

Jerry

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

Confirming issues noted in tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic