2 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:09 AM

When using RM7 in conjunction with FamilySearch (FS), some elements are not copied over. Birth place must be manually entered. Other elements, such as spouse and parents are also not copied over. I wrote FS about this problem and they referred me back to you. They wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Derick,

Thank you for contacting the FamilySearch support team. Your support case #01931557 was created because of your concern about the syncing process for using your third-party personal RootsMagic software with FamilySearch.

Please contact the RootsMagic support team to report your problem. Since RootsMagic software certifies to sync with information that can be viewed at FamilySearch, if the process is not working properly, it is the responsibility of the RootsMagic engineering team to resolve any problems.

When a problem has been properly reported, our engineers and the RootsMagic engineers work together to identify and resolve any problems, however, we cannot and do not provide support for any problems that are initiated from another software program. Please review the information in the attached knowledge article that explains our policy regarding third-party software, and which provides a contact link to notify RootsMagic about your concern.

You can view your case details, including the attached knowledge article through your case in the Help Center. You may need to sign into your account to access the article.
<https://familysearch...5003000000ch04R>

This is your original case description:
Family Search will not pull up birth place

If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us directly by phone or chat. Click on <https://familysearch.org/ask/help> for details.

We do wish you success with all of your family history efforts.

With Regards,

FamilySearch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 ennoborg

ennoborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

I have never seen birth places being omitted on upload to FamilySearch, but it may seem that way if you upload a place name that can't be verified. I never tested that, but it may help if you can give an example.

Spouse and parents are never copied automatically, because FamilySearch doesn't want you to upload a lot of persons with one click. They want you to check if the person already exists, and to sync data if that is the case, and RootsMagic follows their wish by only allowing you to add one person at a time, and warning you to check for matches first.

As a user, I agree with FamilySearch here. There are loads and loads of duplicates, and some are quite difficult to remove.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

Go to Lists>Fact Type Lists and make sure you don't have more than one birth fact. If you do then the user created one won't automatically be sent.

Renee
RootsMagic