18 replies to this topic

#1 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:22 PM

Hello all,

I am a new user of RM7, a refugee from 20 years with TMG, one file of about 730 people, and a "permanent beginner".

I am looking for tips on the easiest way to hide "inconvenient facts" as I share my data with other family members.  My great concern is hurting feelings of others by sharing too much.

Examples of facts I want to keep a record of, but share very selectively, are:

1.patterns of mental illness,

2. patterns of substance abuse

3. other potentially inheritable medical diagnoses

4. Births outside of marriage, either claimed or confirmed

5. Any family facts or assertions that are disputed or ruffle feathers somewhere.

As a new user, I have failed to find much on the topic of privacy, other than privatizing living members.  Many of my family sensitive issues go back to deceased ancestors.  I have searched these forums and the Roots Magic help topics within the program, and did a Google search for "RootsMagic privacy".

I suspect many of you have good solutions, and I apologize in advance if I have failed to find the answer in an obvious place.

#2 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

A bit more information might be helpful for context.  I am in the medical field and have some knowledge of the genetic element of various medical conditions.  I want to record our family medical history in detail for use by future generations.  I would like to share that information now with my children as they think about planning families, but avoid discussions with my sister about whether her family are all alcoholics (just an invented example).

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

Facts have a Private checkbox or one can surround portions of Fact Notes(only) with curly braces to hide private information. Reports have matching settings to override these non-printing areas of research. Additionally, a user can create a custom fact for such privacy and then, I believe, (via the Fact Type list) edit that Fact Type to uncheck the option (ie. not print in all or selective reports).  

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thank you, kbens0n.  That looks as if it will hide a medical fact.

Is there a simple way to suppress a family branch?  For example, I may be the only one who suspects there is a child born out of wedlock.  I don't want to rock the family boat, but do want to track this individual's line.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

I created a medicsl database and tailored it for the purpose. User defined facrs for, Illinesess, Suegeries, Drugs, Family Histories, etc.

If I don't share the database, another person doesn't get the information if I goof up.

I put nothing that is truly private in my main database that I am going to share with everyone.

I enter it into another database that I never share.

#6 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

Laura said:

<I created a medical database and tailored it for the purpose. User defined facts for, Illnesses, Surgeries, Drugs, Family Histories, etc.

If I don't share the database, another person doesn't get the information if I goof up.

I put nothing that is truly private in my main database that I am going to share with everyone.

I enter it into another database that I never share.>

Thank you, Laura.  I will look into giving this a try.  Does your "medical database" include all people in your main database, or just those you have recorded medical facts for?

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

My medical database is actually for tracking my living family members health information.

You know all those forms with all those questions you have to fill out when going to a new medical office? Drugs, Surgeries, Illnessess, Childhood diseases, Immunizations, Family histories.

For Family histories, tt is entered in rhe Family history fact note for each person. I did it this way because the relationships to other family members are different depending on the generation of the person the report is for. I have very little of that information in my main database.

I can print out a Narrative report for each person and take it to the doctor's office. If I take an extra printed copy, I can enter See attached sheets for most questions on their forms and give them the report.

I can email a revised report to any family member who may be taking care of another family member and need the information.

To answer your question, I would only import the people that I had medical information for into the medical database.

Right now I am working on a database that catalogs all the books in the house, Name, Author, Catagory, Subject, Binding, Bookcase, Synopsis, etc.

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Is there a simple way to suppress a family branch?  For example, I may be the only one who suspects there is a child born out of wedlock.  I don't want to rock the family boat, but do want to track this individual's line.

The only way is to use the various means of selection for reporting (ie.

color coding,

groups,

and/or the selection prompts such as <People to include> or <Select from list> (coupled with Mark & Unmark groups -or- uncheckmarking individuals' checkboxes)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

Leander, on 08 Jan 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:snapback.png

>The only way is to use the various means of selection for reporting (ie. color coding, groups, and/or the selection prompts such as <People to include> > or <Select from list> (coupled with Mark & Unmark groups -or- uncheckmarking individuals' checkboxes)

Thank you again, kbens0n.  This exactly the kind of overview answer a new person needs.  Appreciate the help.  I think I will try working with Groups a bit.

Leander

#10 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

Laura said:

"My medical database is actually for tracking my living family members health information.

You know all those forms with all those questions you have to fill out when going to a new medical office? Drugs, Surgeries, Illnessess, Childhood diseases, Immunizations, Family histories.

For Family histories, tt is entered in rhe Family history fact note for each person. I did it this way because the relationships to other family members are different depending on the generation of the person the report is for. I have very little of that information in my main database.

I can print out a Narrative report for each person and take it to the doctor's office. If I take an extra printed copy, I can enter See attached sheets for most questions on their forms and give them the report.

I can email a revised report to any family member who may be taking care of another family member and need the information.

To answer your question, I would only import the people that I had medical information for into the medical database.

Right now I am working on a database that catalogs all the books in the house, Name, Author, Category, Subject, Binding, Bookcase, Synopsis, etc.

Laura"

Thank you for your help, Laura.  I think I may try the same system!

Leander

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

I think I will try working with Groups a bit.

Just a "heads up":

For groups and color-coding (and setting relationships, ETC.) ...be aware that RootsMagic currently does not automatically update groups or color-coding by extending them with individuals added later (after the group was created or color-coding performed). You will have to re-run those functions and re-enter the same criteria to make newer additions become included.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

You can add the new person or any other person to a Group or multiple Groups by clicking in the Groups button on the Edit person screen and checking all Groups that you want the person to be included in. If you uncheck a Group, that person is removed from the Group.

You can also use QuickGroups from the Pedigree, Family, Descendants, and People views. Highlight the person and right click. Choose QuickGroups from the menu screen that opens.

To color code just one person, type CTL+C to open the Color Coding screen. Choose your color and Highlighted person.

You will need to redo Tools, Set Relationships.

#13 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

From kbens0n:

"Just a "heads up":

For groups and color-coding (and setting relationships, ETC.) ...be aware that RootsMagic currently does not automatically update groups or color-coding by extending them with individuals added later (after the group was created or color-coding performed). You will have to re-run those functions and re-enter the same criteria to make newer additions become included."

Thanks.  I probably would not have figured that out till I got "bit"!

Leander

#14 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:55 AM

You can add the new person or any other person to a Group or multiple Groups by clicking in the Groups button on the Edit person screen and checking all Groups that you want the person to be included in. If you uncheck a Group, that person is removed from the Group.

Where do you find the Groups button on the Edit Person screen? I don't have one, so do I need to enable it somehow, or did you mis-speak? I'm confused ....

#15 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:37 AM

If I double click on a selected individual, or choose "Edit>Person", I see an Edit Person screen.  Along the top row of icons, at the far right, is an icon called "Groups" that appears identical to the icon in the left sidebar on a main screen.  I am using RM Windows, 7.0.11.0.

I see you are an Advanced Member, so I am probably just misunderstanding your point.

Thank you,

Leander

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:27 AM

QuickGroups was introduced in Version 7. Previous versions will not have a button on the Edit person screen.

#17 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:07 AM

I'm using 7.0.11.0, but the button was hidden, and I didn't know to look for it. I have a widescreen monitor on my laptop, and routinely have RM set to use about 55% of the screen width. That leaves me room to place a browser beside RM for research (as well as other things that I do simultaneously with RM). The row of buttons don't adjust their width at all when shrinking the Edit Person screen, so the Groups button just slid out of sight. I wonder if its possible to design the buttons to use a percentage of the window size rather than a fixed width?

#18 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

Thanks.  I probably would not have figured that out till I got "bit"!

It's a recurring theme on this forum that new RM users are "bit" by this behavior of RM. Users will mark all the descendants of John Doe as red and then add a new descendant of John Doe expecting that new descendant to be red. It's a very reasonable expectation, but it doesn't work that way. In the case of groups, it's usually said that what RM has is static groups and what it needs is dynamic groups. And it's not just groups. Color coding, setting relationships, etc. are all static.

In going from RM3 to RM4, RM was a complete rewrite and it was RM4 that first introduced the groups facility. When the issue of dynamic groups first arose on these forums with RM4, the RM folks made a comment about dynamic groups having been planned for RM4 but the "dynamic" part of the feature ran into trouble during development and it had to be pulled from the product to get the product out the door in a timely fashion.

I suspect that the problem ran a bit deeper than just about getting the product out the door in a timely fashion. For example, suppose you color code all the descendants of John Doe as red and then you add a new descendant of John Doe. As described above, the new descendant is not color coded red automatically. But consider what RM would have to do behind the scenes to make all such features completely dynamic. Each time you add a new person, it would have to check all the groups, all the color codings, all the relationship settings, etc. to put the newly added person in the appropriate groups and with the appropriate color, etc. This could slow RM down to a crawl. And it's not just when adding a person. It would be when unlinking people, relinking people, when importing GEDCOM, etc. that RM would have to do all the checking.

I may be being Chicken Little and such completely dynamic facilities might be made to work. But I think that more reasonable would be some way under user control to reapply all the criteria for groups, for color coding, for relationships, etc. And maybe the criteria could optionally be reapplied any time an RM database were opened. Etc. In any case, the key event would have to be the saving of the criteria. Without saving the criteria, nothing could be done, anyway.

GenSmarts is not a product of RM, but it does seem to be in some sort of partnership relationship with RM. There is an RM interface to GenSmarts and you can buy GenSmarts from the RM web site. GenSmarts will make research recommendations for you based on your RM database, and it reads your RM database directly. GenSmarts has the ability to limit its scope of work to a subset of your RM database. The subsetting is done in GenSmart itself, and nothing about a subset in GenSmarts is stored in your RM database. I mention this only because the GenSmarts model is an excellent model of how to store subset criteria. You can mark individuals to include in the subset one individual at a time. You can mark individuals to include in the subset as ancestors or descendants of an individual, etc. And these various ways of marking are not mutually exclusive. The equivalent in RM would be to be able to color code two or three individuals as red, one at a time, and then also to make all the descendants of John Doe as red. A dynamic color coding in RM would remember all such color codings, not just the descendants of John Doe. GenSmarts can do it, so why not RM? Again, I would suggest that the only big issue would remain the question of exactly when and how often any saved criteria should be applied.

Jerry

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

I'm using 7.0.11.0, but the button was hidden, and I didn't know to look for it. I have a widescreen monitor on my laptop, and routinely have RM set to use about 55% of the screen width. That leaves me room to place a browser beside RM for research (as well as other things that I do simultaneously with RM). The row of buttons don't adjust their width at all when shrinking the Edit Person screen, so the Groups button just slid out of sight. I wonder if its possible to design the buttons to use a percentage of the window size rather than a fixed width?

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: private, privacy, suppress branches