• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marsha Alexander

Marsha Alexander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

Could someone please explain the difference between Residence and Address? Also Baptism vs. Christening?  Thanks.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

In RootsMagic, Residence is a fact. You can add an address in the Place, Place Details, or Description or note if you choice to do so. This is usually a historic address although a user could enter current addresses.

Addresses that go on the Address list are current addresses. You can print an Address list report to send someone a list of current addresses or print labels to mail letters or packages.

The practicality of using Christen or Baptism:
Christen is the fact that RM and many other programs use as a substutute for the Birth fact which will be shown on the screen and printed in many reports. So, you would enter a baby's baptism or Christening in this fact. You can change the default sentence and replace christened with baptized.

Baptism is used for people that were baptized at older ages.

This subject tends to start long fruitless discussions about Christening and Baptism and what it means in various religions on the forums. We can hope that will not happen this time.

Bruce has had many users wanting to change the Birth substitute to Baptism in Family Origins and RootsMagic. It never has been changed and, I don't expect it ever will unless RM and the other programs got together and decide to use Bapism instead of Christen for the Birrh substitute fact.

#3 Marsha Alexander

Marsha Alexander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

Got it for residences vs. addresses! Thanks.

For baptism vs. christening, I think I will just stick with the dictionary definitions. In old records labeled as "christening", if the date is close to the birth date, I will always assume it is a baptism.

Many thanks for the responses.

Dictionary definitions:

Baptism

“(In the Christian Church) the religious rite of sprinkling water onto a person's forehead or of immersion in water, symbolizing purification or regeneration and admission to the Christian Church. In many denominations, baptism is performed on young children and is accompanied by name-giving.”

Christening

"To give (a baby) a Christian name at baptism as a sign of admission to a Christian Church."

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

You can decide to handle it that way but just realize if you have no birth fact the baptism will not be substituted as Laura counseled. Changing the Christen Fact Type sentence template to read as baptism will solve this issue.

Go to Lists>Fact Type List>Christen and click Edit

Highlight Principle role and click Edit Role

Change: [person] was christened< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

To: [person] was baptized< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Marsha Alexander

Marsha Alexander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Thank you. But I can't understand why, if you don't have a birth date, you would want the baptism date to automatically be used in its place. I would rather decide for myself how to handle it. Perhaps I would want to enter the baptism date as the birth date; perhaps I would enter the birthdate as a day before the baptism; or I might want to leave it blank altogether and just add a notation. I'm not concerned about age calculations or LDS requirements. For me those concerns are irrelevant. It is things like this that makes FTM easier to use software for the non-pro. This seems like a big to do about nothing.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

Perhaps I would want to enter the baptism date as the birth date; perhaps I would enter the birthdate as a day before the baptism; or I might want to leave it blank altogether and just add a notation.

I deal with very very few adult baptisms so I find it very safe to enter the birth date as the Baptism date prefixed with BEF for Before. Birthdates can become important as databases grow and I find it useful to make the best approximation possible from the information to hand rather than leave the birth date completely blank.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

RootsMagic allows you to do everything you just stated EXCEPT you mistakenly stated that baptism date is automatically used in place of birthdate. The software supports everything you want to do ;-)

Well, it does actually use a Christening date (if provided) AND only in the absence of a birth date ...but only to calculate approximate age for display (and maybe for the Living flag if more than 105 years has passed since Christening?)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

As long as you at least add a birth fact, even if only an about date, then you won't have any issues using the baptism fact if you want. As already mentioned it won't work act like the Christen fact would have.

Renee
RootsMagic