13 replies to this topic

#1 Marsha Alexander

Marsha Alexander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

I am new to Roots Magic – coming over from FTM. Several problems/questions:

1. I am entering everything manually rather than to do the file transfer method. I keep the genealogies for each of my family names in separate files – 10 of them. But many of the place names are common for all of the files. So in Roots Magic, when I enter a place name, it only shows up for the current file I am working with. When I start on a new file, the place list is blank - so I have to re-enter all the place names – for every file? Isn’t there some “Master Place List” someplace?
  2. Regarding the Gazetteer – I have many German towns to enter. I like to have the Town, District, State, and County recorded. But for German towns, the District is missing. For example: This is what I want – Elmshorn, Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. The Gazetter does not show Pinneberg. Is there some way I can edit the Gazetter and enter all the missing Districts manually? I can’t find any edit function for the Gazetteer.
  3. In FTM, the United States is always abbreviated USA. In Roots Magic it is spelled out. Which is preferable to genealogists?
  4. It seems to me that FTM handles place listings more efficiently. No?

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry if this are kind of stupid questions.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

I would advise against separate files for the very reason that one character will create a unique place or other entity.

There has been much discussion on this and personally much hope for improvement within Rootsmagic place management and showing associated facts. Rootsmagic does have unique Place Details which is over and above what FTM offered, these allow you to build detailed entries which would enhance any report and it is hoped the reporting will be improved in the future.

The Gazetteer cannot be editied,again this has been wished for in the past.

See either of the two videos below for my own personal views on the subject.

Review: Genealogy Software - Mapping your family Tree

Review: Rootsmagic mapping your genealogy and family tree

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

I am new to Roots Magic – coming over from FTM. Several problems/questions:

1. I am entering everything manually rather than to do the file transfer method. I keep the genealogies for each of my family names in separate files – 10 of them. But many of the place names are common for all of the files. So in Roots Magic, when I enter a place name, it only shows up for the current file I am working with. When I start on a new file, the place list is blank - so I have to re-enter all the place names – for every file? Isn’t there some “Master Place List” someplace?
  2. Regarding the Gazetteer – I have many German towns to enter. I like to have the Town, District, State, and County recorded. But for German towns, the District is missing. For example: This is what I want – Elmshorn, Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. The Gazetter does not show Pinneberg. Is there some way I can edit the Gazetter and enter all the missing Districts manually? I can’t find any edit function for the Gazetteer.
  3. In FTM, the United States is always abbreviated USA. In Roots Magic it is spelled out. Which is preferable to genealogists?
  4. It seems to me that FTM handles place listings more efficiently. No?

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry if this are kind of stupid questions.

I would also advise against multiple databases.

RM does not force you to use any particular set of place names. You can ignore suggestions from County Check, or if that's too much of a hassle, you can turn County Check off. Even if you turn County Check off (which I highly recommend doing), you can still use Gazetteer as a very useful reference resource. You will discover that many German place names in Gazetteer will be close but not quite right, but that doesn't mean you have to use the name from Gazetteer nor does that mean that you can't use Gazetteer as a useful reference.

There is no way to edit the place names in Gazetteer.

The official name of the country of which I am a citizen is United States of America, and if you prefer to use abbreviations then I think that USA is the best abbreviation. Indeed, our very wonderful Consitution starts out with "We the  People of the United States of America, ..."    Unfortunately, "United States" is the place name standard for the United States of America on the LDS Web site. RM's County Check and Gazetteer embrace the LDS place name standard. I understand why RM follows this practice, but in my opinion the LDS place name standard is horribly flawed. It's so bad, it's hard to come up with adjectives that are adequate to describe its extreme level of badness. A physicist would say that the standard is so bad, it's not even wrong. It goes beyond wrong. But it's the standard that much of genealogy embraces, including RM. I recommend turning off RM's County check and using RM's Gazetteer as a very useful but very flawed reference. By the way, the official name for quite a few countries in the world is "United States of something or other", so it's not just a matter of the LDS standard not using the correct official name for my country. The LDS standard doesn't even distinguish between other similarly named countries.

By the way, since over 99% of my place names are in the USA, I typically do not include "United States of America" where the place name is very clear to an American reader without it. So I would have John Doe born in Jefferson County, Tennessee rather than in Jefferson County, Tennessee, United States of America. Including the country name over and over and over again in such cases just seems very redundant and makes reports appear to be very turgid. Even place names such as Georgia which in theory could be misconstrued as a country in Europe are usually very clear. For example, would anyone think that Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia was somewhere in Europe? I have lived in Europe and I have asked Europeans about American place names. Almost universally, they recognize state names from the USA without any problems at all.On the other hand, I refuse to omit the word County or Parish or Township or other such political subdivision names from place names, and the LDS place name standard insists that such subdivision names be omitted. But without the political subdivision names, many place names in the USA can be completely ambiguous. I suspect the same is also true for place names outside the USA. Such ambiguity is the main reason that I think it's totally essential in doing genealogy correctly that the LDS place name standard be ignored - even it is the only standard we seem to have.

Jerry

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

Since I'm beating up on the place name standard, I'll also mention that it doesn't allow you to enter cemetery names for burials (or cemetery plot numbers or anything like that). It doesn't allow you to enter the name of a hospital where someone was born or died. It doesn't allow you to say that some one died in "the Civil War" or in "World War II", even if that's all you know. I would emphasize that RM does not force you to use the place name standard, but it certainly encourages you to do so, especially if you do not turn off County Check.

Jerry

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

Jerry, I guess it is how we look at it.

CountyCheck has two buttons to close the screen, Change and Keep original place.

To me that is giving me the choice to take RootsMagic's suggestions or keep my place as is.

CountyCheck has changed in one way that I noticed.

I used Scott County, Arkansas, and it gave me the suggestion of Scott County, Arkansas, United States.

Before, the suggestion would have been Scott, Arkansas, United States.

#6 Marsha Alexander

Marsha Alexander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

Oh, this is all giving me a headache. Does any one have any similar experience with places in Legacy software? Ancestry.com has made life miserable by discontinuing FTM support.  I like the suggestion about using County. For example, I have a lot of people in Bronx, Bronx, New York. Bronx, Bronx County, New York definitely make more sense. Also, some places don't have town names. I live in Manatee County, Florida. I just put Manatee, Florida that might be confusing to someone. I too think using "United States" is also redundant. 

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

You might join the RootsWeb mailing list and get an answer. That mailing list isn't very active.

http://lists.rootswe...are/LEGACY.html

I did a search for Place in the Body and Subject and got some results.

#8 rob p

rob p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

This is 'another one' that makes me sick.

Shame on me; I went along, fat, dumb & happy with FTM - creating all sorts of custom places.

Cemetery names, political districts, geographic landmarks, all sorts of genealogically important stuff.

GPS coordinates.  Date-specific place names (I hate to see Jamestown, Virginia, USA for a 1609 record!).

So, on entering data,  when FTM offered to move the "Unrecognized" location text to the "Description " field, I accepted, and the place would be considered, "Resolved". Reports, searches, everything was swell.

But, they all come across as a flat list. FTM didn't have "Place Details" - which would be SO  good to have, now . I have place names like,"District 10, Coffee, Tennessee, USA" and "Donahoe Cemetery, Bartlett, Bell, Texas, USA". Over 3200 of them! And all the GPS data I so painstakingly entered (Cemeteries, unique locations) is not even exported in FTM's Gedcom.

And, to answer Marsha A, ...Legacy is no better, if not worse.

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Oh, this is all giving me a headache. Does any one have any similar experience with places in Legacy software? Ancestry.com has made life miserable by discontinuing FTM support.  I like the suggestion about using County. For example, I have a lot of people in Bronx, Bronx, New York. Bronx, Bronx County, New York definitely make more sense. Also, some places don't have town names. I live in Manatee County, Florida. I just put Manatee, Florida that might be confusing to someone. I too think using "United States" is also redundant. 

Providing the state is in place then pretty safe but one must be careful - Place name duplication across countries

This is 'another one' that makes me sick.

Shame on me; I went along, fat, dumb & happy with FTM - creating all sorts of custom places.

Cemetery names, political districts, geographic landmarks, all sorts of genealogically important stuff.

GPS coordinates.  Date-specific place names (I hate to see Jamestown, Virginia, USA for a 1609 record!).

So, on entering data,  when FTM offered to move the "Unrecognized" location text to the "Description " field, I accepted, and the place would be considered, "Resolved". Reports, searches, everything was swell.

But, they all come across as a flat list. FTM didn't have "Place Details" - which would be SO  good to have, now . I have place names like,"District 10, Coffee, Tennessee, USA" and "Donahoe Cemetery, Bartlett, Bell, Texas, USA". Over 3200 of them! And all the GPS data I so painstakingly entered (Cemeteries, unique locations) is not even exported in FTM's Gedcom.

And, to answer Marsha A, ...Legacy is no better, if not worse.

Sounds like you have been doing some pretty good work Rob, stick with it, it will pay dividends someday. I am a big advocate of Place Details even though much of the quality information I enter is not presently reported out to enhance the quality of reports and books but I believe and hope it will be in the next version.

Rootsmagic has a PlaceClean utility which may help you split up that flat list that FTM exported so give that a try to begin with. There is a general expectation that Rootsmagic development will bring together all the valuable existing aspects of place management into one new and multi functional UI, there has been a lot of discussion on these boards over the years.

The image below is just for your information as to what I try to do and build at present in Place Details, it is valuable within the database but would be lovely to have the option of including it in reports.

place-details-inset.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

I am entering everything manually rather than to do the file transfer method. I keep the genealogies for each of my family names in separate files – 10 of them. But many of the place names are common for all of the files. So in Roots Magic, when I enter a place name, it only shows up for the current file I am working with. When I start on a new file, the place list is blank - so I have to re-enter all the place names – for every file? Isn’t there some “Master Place List” someplace?

You can use File>Import Lists to add the Place List from one database to other. There are other options for lists to copy over too.

In FTM, the United States is always abbreviated USA. In Roots Magic it is spelled out. Which is preferable to genealogists?

USA became the standard in the paper age but has changed. Confusion became greater when USA also stood for United States of Africa. The FamilySearch place name standard was changed to reflect USA as United States, spelled out to a point. 

You can change all your USA to United States using two options.
1. Go to Tools>DataClean>PlaceClean and under "Add or Remove Country" select "Add this country to places": then select "United States". If you click on the box in the header row if will select all to change.

2. Go to Search>Search and Replace and under "Field to Search" select Places.  You can enter USA and replace with United States

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

When working with the Place list itself, it is very helpful to Customize the Toolbar and add the Place list icon.

When you click on the icon, it opens the Place list.

#12 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

You can also use the place List for things that are not really places.

Such as: Civil War

Then place details: Ohio 149th Regiment

West Virginia 3rd Cavalry

or

WWII

then place details US Army

US Navy

#13 rob p

rob p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

Rootsmagic has a PlaceClean utility which may help you split up that flat list that FTM exported so give that a try to begin with. There is a general expectation that Rootsmagic development will bring together all the valuable existing aspects of place management into one new and multi functional UI, there has been a lot of discussion on these boards over the years.

I can see how valuable this would be if I were starting anew. I hope RM continues to integrate this "Place Details" feature into reports, searches, sorts, etc.

But meanwhile, it appears I'm stuck (?) with what I've created in FTM. The "PlaceClean" tool can, in fact, fix most of my woes, but I'm not too keen to do it 3200 times! (But my GPS data is long gone... thank you, FTM.)

What if I keep on creating the myriad of detailed custom places as I have with FTM? It works swell for reports & publications. (Even though it's difficult to search for who lived nearby to "District 10", for example.)

I don't want the current part of my database to fit/work well with FTM and the future part to get along with RM. What to do?

#14 Marsha Alexander

Marsha Alexander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

I recently attended a RootsMagic user group. After listening to everyone's problems in doing the GEDCOM transfer from FTM, I'm going to stick to just entering everything fresh - and clean. Seems easier than going back and trying to identify and then clean up all the "garbage." Time consuming but one computer open to FTM and the other to RootsMagic should make the copy process easy. Also, I think my FTM source data will need to be reformatted for RootsMagic. Curses on FTM! Why in the world didn't they find a buyer for the software? From everything I read it ranks as the #1 genealogy software. What a stupid business decision. But after working for awhile with RootsMagic I think in the long term I am going to be more than satisfied.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gazetteer