• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sandideck

sandideck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

I have a PC and RM 7. I am going to convert to a Mac. I use Dropbox for my backup. I read that you can't use Dropbox if you have Mac Software. What is the best way to backup my files. I feel backing up on the same computer isn't much of a Back-up. If the computer crashes you lose everything. 

#2 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

I use Dropbox on several Mac computers without any problems at all, and you are correct that backing up on the same computer isn't a backup.  I don't use Dropbox for a backup (although I could), but I do back up to external USB drives using Carbon Copy Cloner, a widely used Mac backup program.

#3 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

I use dropbox for some backup of RM7 but I mainly use google drive so that everytime I quite RM7 I make a backup to google drove. This give me a daily backup of RM7. I also use TimeMachine on the Mac and also backup to a USB drive each night. The USB drive is exchanged to a bank lock box each month.

I think the problem with Dropbox is to not use it to store your working RM7 file. RM7 makes many changes to the file even when you just open the file so I don't think the backup to dropbox can keep up.

Roger

#4 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

Roger is right about not putting your "live" RM7 file in Dropbox.  That would lead to lots of unnecessary sloshing about over your Internet connection.  It doesn't sound like that's what you're planning on doing, just putting a backup copy of your RM7 file(s) out on Dropbox, yes?

Also, putting a periodically-updated full, bootable, backup USB drive in a safe deposit box is a good idea.  It gives you off-site backup (in case of a house fire, for example) without having to use up Internet bandwidth to backup "in the cloud."

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

The option to use File>Save to Dropbox for Apps and File>Backup - To Dropbox both do not work on the Mac. You won't even see those options appear. These options would let you save to the cloud without have Dropbox installed on your computer. If you have a Dropbox folder on your computer then you can save your backup there. Go to Tools>Program Options>Folders and select your Dropbox folder to make it the default folder to save to.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 sandideck

sandideck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

Roger,

I like your idea about the back-up to Google drive and then the USB. How do I set up the back-up to google drive? Is that the icloud? As far as the fully bootable USB that would be the Roots Macic on the go? where you download the software on the USB also?  I am not  very good with a lot of computer things like backing up etc.but if you give me the basic steps I can follow them. Thanks for the help

#7 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

What I have done is set up google drive on my mac once that is done.  (Google Drive is the cloud backup and it is free.)

Go to Rm Tools>Program Options> then select folders on the left side and in the option backup file point this to your Google Drive folder. I have another folder in Google Drive called RM7 backup. At the end of the month I go in and manually delete the old backups from my google drive folder. You can keep them as long as you want. One good habit is to do a database tools option on a regular basis but I have never had a problem. See note about UPS system as I think this did the trick.

Also click the option under General to Add date to backup file names, and ask for backup when exiting. This will then save/override a backup each time I close the program and the auto update of Google Drive will then send the file to Google Drive. I let time machine do the hourly backup of my main Roots Magic file. This gives me a hourly and daily backup. At night around 1 I have Super Duper backup both of my mac hard drives. Then each month I swap those backup drives with a spare I keep in a bank safety deposit box. When Super Duper dose it's thing I have it make the backup of my boot drive bootable.

One other thing I have done is purchased a UPS which will keep my mac running for about an hour if we loose power. I feel that this was the best thing I have done to protect the computer and prevent data coruptions.

I have only had to use the bank copy of my backup one time and that was when lighting hit our house and did its number on my computer. Once I had the computer restored from the backup I downloaded the RM7 Backup from Google Drive and almost did not loose a thing. I also have my digital genealogy notes backup to the same Google Drive account.

#8 sandideck

sandideck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Roger, 

I followed your instructions and the only trouble I am having is backing up to a flash drive. I am still learning my Mac. It doesn't have a CD drawer so have to use the flash drive. Do you have to install another program to backup to flash drive. It said something about installing windows through Boot Camp but don't like to put a lot of extra stuff on my computer unless I need to. I am trying a backup system that cost 5 a month called backblaze. Have you ever used that. I am in the trial right now but have to decide to keep it or not.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

What type of issue are you having making the backup to the flash drive?  Are you unable to see the flash drive when you browse for it?

I use BackBlaze and love it, though I only have it on my Windows computer.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

sandideck

I use a program called SuperDuper to do my midnight backup to a usb connected drive. It cost about $28. There is another one called Carbon Copy and maybe others I am not aware of. I have had good success with SuperDuper and the support has been great. I have never considered using a CD or DVD as backup even though my mac has one.

I have looked at cloud backups like backblaze but decided against them because if you need them it can take some time to do a restore. The one time I needed to use my backups it was a very short time once I got the Mac hardware replaced. All I had to do was go to the bank safe deposit box and get the usb drive. Took more time to get hardware than to do the backup.

You do not need to use Boot Camp for this. Boot Camp is for running windows type of programs and I have never used it.

Ask if you have any more questions

Roger

#11 sandideck

sandideck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:28 PM

Thanks I think I will look into your SuperDuper. Was the 28 dollars a flat fee? BackBlaze is 5 a month. I like to use advice from people that have used the product. I have figured how to move files to a flash drive so that issue is resolved. 

#12 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:55 AM

Thanks I think I will look into your SuperDuper. Was the 28 dollars a flat fee? BackBlaze is 5 a month. I like to use advice from people that have used the product. I have figured how to move files to a flash drive so that issue is resolved.

Both SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner cost about the same one off (though I guess future versions might have an incremental cost at some stage) and produce a full bootable clone of your boot drive. Backblaze, which also has an annual fee of 50 US dollars in addition to a monthly option, is more for disaster recovery and only backs up your files, not the whole system. These products are aimed at different purposes.

Together with using the built in Time Machine, one can create a pretty exhaustive backup strategy, though one can end up with a lot of copying for backup purposes. Better safe than sorry, though.

#13 the_green_man

the_green_man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

New to this forum and just reading old threads for info.

On a Mac you don't need anything fancy for backups - it's built in to OS X. Time Machine. Just connect any external hard drive and link it to Time Machine. It takes care of backups for everything automatically.

#14 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

I use time machine but I would not let that be my only backup. My only experience is when my house was struck by lighting and it wiped out both my computer and all of the connect disk along with several other things in the house.

If I had not had a backup copy in the bank vault I would have been out a lot.

Roger

#15 sandideck

sandideck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Have addressed this issue before. Want to back-up my data. Put some files on a flash drive but then when I plugged it into my mac could not open it because it said "there is no windows program configured to open this type of file. Everyone makes it sound  so easy but I can't seem to do what I need to do. I backed up to I cloud but again when tried to open I got the same message about no windows program.

#16 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:44 AM

Have addressed this issue before. Want to back-up my data. Put some files on a flash drive but then when I plugged it into my mac could not open it because it said "there is no windows program configured to open this type of file. Everyone makes it sound  so easy but I can't seem to do what I need to do. I backed up to I cloud but again when tried to open I got the same message about no windows program.

It would help us to help you if you could explain exactly what you are attempting to do here.

What is on the flash drive? It sounds like there may be something that is trying to auto start a Windows program as you plug it in, and it would seem that the Mac is having a problem with that.

How is the flash drive formatted? If it is just one of the standard FAT formats containing a folder with RM backup files, then you shouldn't be getting those sorts of messages. Unless you also have something like Parallels installed and that is intercepting use of the flash drive.

Edited: You say open - does this mean that you are trying to open the file from, say, Finder. If so, then you would get that sort of error message. To open the files, you need to use RootsMagic to open a database file or restore a backup. The Mac has no way of knowing how to process either of the RM file formats - database or backup - hence the error messages.

Edited by J P, 17 January 2017 - 02:50 AM.

#17 sandideck

sandideck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

I will try to explain better but I don't have a lot of knowledge in regards to doing this. I put data in my roots magic family files. So when I close it out it asks for backup. I have a new flash drive that I bought. The flash drive is new, nothing on it. I am able to move the file to the flash drive. So now I have a flash drive with the family name I am working on. I put the flash drive back in my mac to view the data that is on it and I get the error. It does ask me what I want to use to open it and Roots Magic comes up in a box as an option. I click on that but I still getting the message. Is there another way to try to open this info on the flash drive?

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

If you try to open by clicking on the file on the flash drive the Mac won't know what to do with it. It's always best to open the file inside of RootsMagic. For the backup that is the only way to do it.

Open RootsMagic for Mac and use File>Open and find the RMGC file on the flash drive to open it. 

If you have a backup RMGB then you use File>Restore inside of RootsMagic for Mac to open it as a database. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

Best and Free backup solution on a mac is to use Time Machine. Buy an external hard drive for $60 on Amazon, attached it, turn on time machine and forget about backups. TM backs up hourly any changed files after the first long backup of your entire mac. It is easy to restore a file or an entire computer from this backup.

A second layer of backup would be a second time machine drive kept offsite and swapped in and out periodically or a real cloud backup service. Backblaze is the simplest, cheapest and best one for the mac and you are always currently backed up.

Power surges, theft and fire are physical risks that you can cover with an offsite or cloud backup. Clone backups like superduper and carbon copy seem nice but tend to fail if your machine dies and is replaced with a different unit and/or different operating system version which can be a nasty surprise.

#20 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

I use two tiers of backups.

a) TimeMachine to an external NAS. In your case an external USB drive should be fine. I highly recommend using TimeMachine as one of your backups for the Mac since it's easy to use and restore from, and easy to set up (plus it comes with so there's no extra cost except for your storage).

B) I have specific folder also mirrored using Carbon Copy Cloner to an iCloud drive.

The full situation is I have another Mac Mini running OS/Server, so my laptop uses Time Machine to backup to both the NAS and the other Mac (and the other Mac backs up to the external drive and to the NAS).

I'm the paranoid type, so don't feel I'm saying this is the recommended setup for everyone, but it's fairly easy to do with OS/X and Time Machine.

Since I also have Windows laptops those backup to the NAS using Acronis, and selective folders sync to OneDrive.