I had asked a difficult question here last week, that not surprisingly got many views, but only one response -- "How Do You Manage Multiple Systems and Trees?"
So I have taken the bull by the horns and jumped into the problem to see what will happen. I started with three Gedcom files, one from my LifeLines database, one from my Ancestry.com online tree, and one generated from a RM database built from my FamilySearch Family Tree. I then created an empty RM database and successively imported the three Gedcom files on top of one another. That left lots of overlaps in persons, families, sources, etc, that I have been diligently working through.
Which has led to an interesting (to me anyway) question. Every merge removes a RIN from the database. I have been trying to do my merging in a way that, as far as possible, 1) the lower numbered RINs are preferred, and 2) the actual RINS from the most complete starting database are preferred (since persons were added to that database in an orderly fashion that make the numbers nice). But for various reasons I have not been able to always end up with the preferred RINs during the large number of mergings I have been doing.
I know this will sound like a fairly crazy question, but I'm still wondering. Does a user have any ability to change the RIN numbers of records. In some cases I know that a RIN must be available, since I just merged away the record that had the RIN I want to reuse. But I haven't found any documentation on how I might take advantage of these "holes" in the RIN space. If you think I'm an idiot for wanting to do this, I might even agree with you. But I still want to know.