• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TreeBeard

TreeBeard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

I’m running RootsMagic 7 on a Mac running Yosemite. When I start the help file I only get the Contents tab menu. Other tabs are visible but when I click on them e.g. the Index tab there is nothing visible. Same with the Search tab.  Also when I select another tab I can’t move back to the Contents tab. I have to exit the Menu then re-enter to get to the Contents tab which works fine.

Please advice how this can be fixed.

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:04 AM

I’m running RootsMagic 7 on a Mac running Yosemite. When I start the help file I only get the Contents tab menu. Other tabs are visible but when I click on them e.g. the Index tab there is nothing visible. Same with the Search tab.  Also when I select another tab I can’t move back to the Contents tab. I have to exit the Menu then re-enter to get to the Contents tab which works fine.

I'm afraid this is a longstanding problem because the striped down version of Internet Explorer packaged with RM for Mac does not completed handle CHM files - Microsoft Compiled HTML Help file format. Maybe someone on here knows of a solution, but I would assume that that would involve using another program that can fully interpret such files.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:04 AM

I suspect the easiest way may be to open the RootsMagic.chm file in the program's installation folder with:

iChm -> http://www.macupdate.../mac/28171/ichm

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

Treebeard,

Unfortunately, the fact that you can't search the Help File isn't anything to do with the RootsMagic Developers or Microsoft.  The limitation is a common 'feature' of all Windows programs 'converted' to run on Mac OSX using the WINE engine, which attempts to replicate a Windows environment on Linux and OS X.  The WINE developers have not (yet) managed to fully replicate (or more correctly re-write) the code needed to make the Windows Help features work fully.  

The only work-around options, as far as I am aware are:

- a CHM File reader as already mentioned above, or

- use a utility that can convert CHM files to PDF or e-Book format so that it can be viewed and searched externally.  PDF is probably the best choice, as you can then launch the file in the Mac's Preview app when needed and keep it in the background.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

Following the suggestion above to try a CHM file reader utility on the Mac, I thought I would explore further and thought it was worth documenting some initial experience.

I first tried iCHM as suggested, but I found that it does not provide an index function, but otherwise works just fine.

So I then stumbled upon CHM Reader, which has the advantage of being available via the Mac App Store (and is also free in basic form - there is an enhanced version for a small charge - but iCHM is also free). CHM Reader does provide an index function.

Both provide an interface with multiple (open) tabs and also allow for bookmarking in the same way, though that seems a little awkward to use and may not be as good as the standard bookmarking provided with RM help under Windows, though I don't know what that looks like.

There are other similar utilities in the Mac App Store, but I haven't tried those, so I am just reporting my limited experience. Please treat my comments on that basis.

#6 oatcart

oatcart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

I suggest the new RootsMagic PDF eBook be available free of charge for Mac users who cannot access Help.