• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CLMartin

CLMartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

I am having an issue with spacing of words within the note field. I have a screen shot, but I'm not sure how to get permission to load it, so I'll just tell you what it is doing.

Long sentences in my description field from FTM is going into Notes on RM.  After gedcom, I have found lost spaces between words.  Perhaps the spaces are being lost in the translation. For instance...

FTM says this:

The Adam family removed from Virginia to Illinois by the time of the 1860 Census and had removed to Cowley County, Kansas before the 1870 Census as Nathaniel was deceased by 1869 in Kansas.

GEDCOM says this:

1 EVEN The Adam family removed from Virginia to Illinois by the time of the

2 CONC 1860 Census and had removed to Cowley County, Kansas before the 1870

2 CONC Census as Nathaniel was deceased by 1869 in Kansas.

RM says this:

The Adam family removed from Virginia to Illinois by the time of the1860 Census and had removed to Cowley County, Kansas before the 1870 Census as Nathaniel was deceased by 1869 in Kansas.

I notice that the gedcom splits the first time where "the" and "1860" are located.  However, the second time the split occurs between "1870" and "Census" the spacing is fine.

Thank you.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

1. To be able to use images in this forum, they just have to be hosted somewhere else. Example:

- go to postimage.org

- click the word Browse (for Select files to upload:)

- navigate to the screenshot, select it and click Open

- click Upload it! button

- click copy to clipboard button on line 2  (Direct Link) and leave the window open in case you need to copy it again

- come here to the forum and create a new post or reply to an existing one

- the editor toolbar will have a toolbar button labeled Image (looks like an old polaroid photo with a colorful green tree?)

-paste the Direct Link from postimage.org into the URL block and finish. It will embed the image in the post.

2. Generally, most genealogy software that creates GEDCOMs never end a line with a space character when intending to continue on the next line and instead break a word apart in the middle, continuing the rest of the word (and sentence/paragraph) on the next line(s). If FTM is not doing this ...there may be GEDCOM export options that can be changed to get it right. Otherwise, you can open up the GEDCOM in an editor that supports search & replace and in all lines that end in spaces and a carriage return/linefeed (cr/lf):

REPLACE <space character><cr/lf character> WITH some character (eg. <tilde character><cr/lf character> that you can later search&replace back to a space character from tilde character (with RM's Find Everywhere or Search & Replace).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

What version of RootsMagic do you have? (Help>About RootsMagic)

Renee
RootsMagic