6 replies to this topic

#1 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:33 AM

Is there a way to use the "split" shared event and have it not record the user numbers in the split events?  I need this to make the census events show up in the website I manage.  I don't like the user numbers showing up in the description, however the other data's verbiage is PERFECT.

I love this tool... it runs good under parallels for the mac too.

Happy new Year

Allen

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

Allen, if you could set up and use a SQLite manager such as SQLiteSpy on your Mac system under Parallels or even one under MacOS provided it can access the RM database, I could readily modify the original script so that the record numbers are not shown.

Otherwise, it will be months before I can open up RMtrix and work on it again after a three year lapse. Besides, I am disinclined to put effort into it until RM8 comes out and I see whether it still works or is even needed.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

Sorry to ask a sort of unrelated question but what is the best SQL manager for use with RM and can any of them manipulate within strings. Finally is there any notes of caution altering the rootsmagic database through external means? I'm kinda new to this but would be willing to learn if it was worth it.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

There is no one best SQLite manager in my experience. I use both SQLiteSpy and SQLite Expert Personal and have to because there are a couple of things that only the one or the other can do; both are free. See SQLiteManagers for a summary comparison of several products. Perhaps there is a fee-for-licence one that is better still.

SQLite contains some functions albeit not all that one might wish for. Unless a SQLite manager supports a higher level scripting function, one would have to use a different platform such as PHP, Tcl/Tk, C#, ...to gain more functions.

There are many notes of caution to manipulating the database externally. The safest approach is to operate on a copy and check the resulting database for issues before committing to it as the next working file. A frequent artefact is because we use a fake RMNOCASE collation sequence for table indexes requiring RMNOCASE (names of people, places,...). That results in an integrity test failure in RootsMagic requiring us to run Rebuild Indexes in it to clear the error. In my experience, no harm has been done. See RMNOCASE - faking it in SQLite Expert, command-line shell et al

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

I am going to assume that since you didn't specifically mention it that none of the managers you are aware of can perform string manipulation based on logic like one can in VB?

I will look at other options maybe working with the gedcom file itself

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

You can extend Visual Basic with SQLite or maybe the more correct language is you can connect to a SQLite database through Visual Basic and through ODBC using Excel and Access. I used Visual C# for the RMtrix utility. One thing missing from SQLite is the ability to use REGEXP to replace elements of a string; it supports a REGEXP extension only for comparisons.

#7 sfr46

sfr46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

I have been watching this forum for a while and just registered. This is maybe not the best thread for this post but it seems more and more obvious that successful transition from any genealogy program to another will require some custom manipulation of data to avoid losses.

This process would seem to require a thorough vetting of the possible new host including it's possibilities followed by how to facilitate a complete data transfer. These decisions are not taken likely and I am well aware and appreciate the efforts of Rootsmagic to secure the business of FTM users.

My observations at present are:

1. Rootsmagic has a quick and simple interface, much quicker than FTM. That being said it seems to me that Rootsmagic is much to layered and requires much digging to reveal essential information.

2. The Rootsmagic reporting mechanism seems weak in many respects in comparsion to other software options.

3. Managing places and their whereabouts within Rootsmagic falls behind what FTM and Legacy offer.

4. Rootsmagic have unique place details which is a plus but it seems that this feature has not been fully embraced by the developers.

5. Other unique selling points of past releases would seem to still have much room for improvement towards the expectations of users.

6. It would seem that the present version of Rootsmagic is a stopgap legacy offering while a complete new version is being developed.

I would not be prepared to transfer my data to Rootsmagic, Legacy or other program at present on their current merits. I am not sure how the desktop genealogy software market will develop in the future and how my precious data would be transformed and not recognized by other programs.

It would seem from my research that the developement team of Rootsmagic are not too far from retirement and I have not read anything to convince me of a development beyond that time. It may well be that a desktop genealogy program of 2016, 17 or 18 becomes the last viable desktop offering and one which will warrant careful evaluation. For that reason I will also wait and see who ticks all the boxes in the year(s) to come and which platform I should entrust with many years of time consuming research.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RMTRIX