• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 mckhbayless

mckhbayless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hello.   I have a question.  My wife has been using Ancestry extensively because it's research linkage is so quick for document searches, etc.  We would like to import her data into Rootsmagic.  Will the documents attached to each person import directly into RM.  Or are the documents just weblinks in Ancestry.  If so, do the weblink addresses transfer?

I appreciate any help you can provide.  Thanks.

#62 Diane R

Diane R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

New to  Roots Magic, moving over from FTM.  Will Roots Magic eventually, hopefully soon, import FTM after 2006 so we do not have to use the gedcom.  I imported a gedcom and of course it does not import any media.  I am moving from FTM 2014, really need to be able to import media files with the family tree.  Thank you

#63 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

Hello.   I have a question.  My wife has been using Ancestry extensively because it's research linkage is so quick for document searches, etc.  We would like to import her data into Rootsmagic.  Will the documents attached to each person import directly into RM.  Or are the documents just weblinks in Ancestry.  If so, do the weblink addresses transfer?

Importing a GEDCOM from Ancestry does not download anything else. I think the RM Media Gallery gets populated with links to the documents but they are faulty and RM cannot download even if they weren't. The citation comment may also get the URL to the evidence but cannot do anything with it. You can copy it into a Web Tag for the citation and open your Internet browser with it. Then you could download the document to a local file and change the broken media link I mentioned earlier to point to this file.

Only FTM2012/14 can download the media en masse currently and RM can import its GEDCOM with links to the downloaded files. RootsMagic has just announced its partnership with Ancestry to integrate Tree Sync later this year. So either wait or use FTM2012/14 (maybe you can find someone with it willing to do it for you).

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#64 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:19 AM

See the link below, should be of interest to all Ancestry users

http://blog.rootsmag...com/?p=2612&v=2

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#65 CAFett

CAFett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:59 AM

I am a former FTM user (15 yr) and just downloaded RM7.  I have been through the posts and I am stuck on the 'translation' of the Sources/Citations of FTM and how to find them, completely, in RM7.  For example, in FTM my source was,1910 Census, I would 'personalize' that source by creating a citation to that source and add the media file to the citation.  I cannot find, other than in the Person file, those media connections.  How do I do that in RM7?.  I am sure I am missing something pretty obvious.  If someone could simplify the process rather than giving me more details on the software I would appreciate it. 

#66 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:28 AM

CAFett,

I was a long time FTM user as well (probably a version or 2 before FTM2006) and I am also learning my way around still.

Like FTM, RM7 also has a Master Source List (Lists/Source List). However, this this area will not show you the citations on the master source like we were used to seeing in FTM in the Sources tab. As far as I can tell there is no easy way to browse all citations attached to a master source as we were used and be able to edit them. It appears all editing of citations is done in the Citation Manager and this is (more often than not) accessed from a person.

You can create a Report (Reports/Lists/Research Reports/Source List), but if you were looking for editing about the only way I've found is to edit the sources on individuals. There may be a 3rd party tool out there that will show this type of info, but nothing I've found inside the program.

Media for citations is also done from the Citation Manager. You can go into Lists/Media Gallery and tag your media using the tag type 'Citation' and do things that way, but that seems a bit backward to me. Though I have to admit the RM7 Media Gallery has most of features I wished FTM would have had (type-in search being a biggie that I don't know how FTM ever missed).

Hopefully something in here helps you out or at least points you in the right direction.