65 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

Ancestry announced the retirement of their Family Tree Makers (FTM) software on 08 Dec 2015. Since that time frame RootsMagic has made several updates to help with the importing of FTM files. Some previous discussions on the import process are now obsolete with the release of version 7.0.10.0.

RootsMagic has created videos and Magic Guides to assist FTM users in the importing of their files. You can access these training materials here - http://rootsmagic.com/FTM/Videos/

RootsMagic Updates

7.0.10.0 - 30 December 2015
Fixed: Importing GEDCOM from FTM now imports all built in FTM fact types
Fixed: Importing GEDCOM from FTM imports media date, description, and note
Fixed: Primary name sources and media in GEDCOM files are imported as general sources and media
Fixed: Children in each family are sorted by birth after importing FTM GEDCOM file
Fixed: Importing a GEDCOM from FTM Mac converts the media paths to preserve media links
Fixed: Some death information was being skipped when importing a FTM GEDCOM
Fixed: Numerous other tweaks to the import for FTM GEDCOM files

7.0.9.0 - 17 December 2015
Fixed: Importing GEDCOM from FTM with long fact descriptions will put the description into the fact note rather than just truncate it
Fixed: Importing GEDCOM from FTM preserves the "profile" or "primary" photo for a person
Fixed: Importing GEDCOM from FTM preserves links to the online source for citations (as a WebTag)
New: A person's media album now displays media attached to citations belonging to the person

Renee
RootsMagic

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

Known FTM import issues that cannot be addressed at this time.

1. Customized citation over-rides in FTM come over as Fixed citations in RootsMagic. It would require a file format change to support which would cause an issue with people being able to move between RM6 & RM7. This will be addressed at another time.

2. FTM To-Do Items are not exported in their GEDCOM. Since they are not included in the FTM GEDCOM they will not appear in RootsMagic. They will not appear in the LST file after the import either. You will need to manually copy & paste your FTM To-Do Items into RootsMagic to preserve them.

3. The Primary name note in FTM will not appear as a Person note in RootsMagic. Development could not attach it since it isn't linked to a name / person, but is actually stored in the record itself.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:23 AM

Fixed: Children in each family are sorted by birth after importing FTM GEDCOM file

If only RM would sort children by birth order when importing it's own GEDCOM file!  :)

A longstanding complaint about all versions of RM (and Family Origins before it) is that keyboard data entry procedures and GEDCOM import do not automatically sort children in birth order. There is a manual way to do it. And there is a semi-automatic way to do it, but the semi-automatic way still requires manual intervention. The same is true for multiple spouses - keyboard data entry procedures and GEDCOM import do not sort the spouses into marriage order.Spouse order can be fixed manually or semi-automatically with manual intervention. Now that the problem is solved for FTM import, maybe the rewrite of RM could include this feature for RM itself? (No need to add it to the Wish List. It's been in the Wish List for a very long time).

By the way, there was no mention in the 7.0.10.0 announcement of spouse order on import of FTM GEDCOM.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

By the way, there was no mention in the 7.0.10.0 announcement of spouse order on import of FTM GEDCOM.

Confirming issue is noted in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 jammer

jammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

Renee:

Please convey a big thank you to the dev team for this effort!!...even imported "FUNERAL" facts...so refreshing to see this response, after experiencing the lack of response from ACOM during FTM beta testing.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

The owner and President of RootsMagic, Bruce Buzbee, is also the main programmer. The Vice President, Michael Booth, is the other programmer.

#7 riegelstamm

riegelstamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

I appreciate RootsMagic's commitment to modifying RM to accommodate FTM users and comply with the GEDCOM standards. However, I just did a fresh import of my GEDCOM, and the following FTM tags still did not import, per the LST file:

_JUST (source citation quality justification)

_DNA

In addition, RM doesn't import or export the following 5.5.1 tags correctly or at all:

FORM (multimedia format). I suspect RM is looking for this at the same level as the TITL tag, which is how RM exports it, but it's wrong per GEDCOM 5.5.1. FORM must be 1 level lower than TITL.

OBJE.CHAN.DATE (multimedia object change date)

FACT

The following address element tags must be part of an event structure and may not be at level 1 of an INDI record:

ADR1

EMAIL

FAX

PHON

RM dumps SOURce AUTHor and PUBLication details into the TITLe field instead of keeping them in their respective fields. This is unacceptable.

If you require further information, such as GEDCOM 5.5.1 page references, please contact me. I will update my review of RM at Part 3: Importing Your FTM Tree into RootsMagic 7; there are some additional minor problems with imported & exported GEDCOMs that I will include, but the above are the major issues. If they are fixed, I will comfortably be able to recommend RM 7 to the readers of our blog. Kudos to RootsMagic for continuing to improve their flagship product, which is more than I can say about some other software publishers.

#8 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the update. I haven't finished the verification yet, but looks like most things came across from FTM 2014. The LST file isn't too big.

As a "wrap up" for FTM Refugees, is it RM's opinion the most complete export from FTM 2014 is the Gedcom 5.5/FTM2012 export?

So far that has been my experience as it also includes:

Media Date

Media Description

which Gedcom 5.5/Other does not.

I have a feeling this is the kind of advice many FTM converts are looking for. If so, you may want to update the FTM to RM video on your web site.

#9 riegelstamm

riegelstamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

tschlarm, FYI, FTM for Mac has only one GEDCOM 5.5 option, and it includes both Media Date and Description.

RM Support, I found another problem with the latest update concerning media file links in the Mac edition. Here's what one looks like after it's imported:

\~/Documents/Family Tree Maker/Test GEDCOM Export Media/Larko Mary smiling.jpg

It should look like this:

Y:\\Documents\Family Tree Maker\Test GEDCOM Export Media\Larko Mary smiling.jpg

And when it exports back to GEDCOM, it should look like this:

~/Documents/Family Tree Maker/Test GEDCOM Export Media/Larko Mary smiling.jpg

#10 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

I will add to the above of import issues. I used FTM2014 and exported to Gedcom/FTM2012.

It looks like the structure of:

1 ADDR
2 DATE 2009
2 PLAC 111 My Street, City, County, State, USA

in a persons record is not being imported. The Date I could understand as RM doesn't support dates on the address. I will have to look at my usage of this and decide if I should have used the Residence instead. I don't recall if FTM docs gave users much guidance in this respect.

Also sources on the FTM Address fact are thrown into the LST file as 'Unknown info'. Also not surprising.

Not a big deal to me, but others may want to know.

---------------

The structure:
1 _DCAUSE Dropsy
2 DATE 23 NOV 1882
2 PLAC Muscoda, Grant, Wisconsin, USA

_DCAUS is being processed and brought into the DEAT item, but the rest appears to be ignored and thrown into the LST file as errors. It's typically the same as whats in the DEAT item so again for me it's not a big deal but it may be to others.

---

I don't suppose there is a way in RM7 to create a custom fact and then assign it to a GEDCOM tag? Say, if we wanted a separate cause of death field with sources because we have conflicting reports we could still achieve this on import from FTM. 

All in all, the FTM import is much improved over previous versions. Many thanks to the dev team.

#11 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:25 PM

tschlarm, FYI, FTM for Mac has only one GEDCOM 5.5 option, and it includes both Media Date and Description.

I'm not familiar with the Mac version but thanks for the heads up. It's good to post it here so everyone is aware of the Windows/Mac export differences.

I guess I should have been specific about the fact I was exporting from the Windows version of FTM 2014.

#12 riegelstamm

riegelstamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:12 PM

It looks like the structure of:

1 ADDR
2 DATE 2009
2 PLAC 111 My Street, City, County, State, USA

As I recall, RM imports FTM's address into the Address book for the person, not into Facts. Click the Address button on the Edit Person screen and see if it's there. But be aware that neither FTM nor RM import or export ADDR correctly. Per the GEDCOM 5.5 and 5.5.1, an address structure must be part of an event detail, not directly under the INDIvidual record.

#13 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

Addresses again...

0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME Fred /test/
1 ADDR My Description
2 DATE 1950
2 PLAC 1234 Street, My City, State, USA

RM does import the ADDR line (FTM Description field) into the Address book, but the PLAC is dropped. PLAC corresponds the the Place field in FTM so arguably this is more important than the ADDR (Description) field which is being imported. DATE doesn't have a corresponding entry in RM so I understand why it got dropped.

Exported from FTM2014 Windows Gedcom/FTM2012.

Whether or not it is to GEDCOM 5.5.x spec we are kind of stuck with it. I doubt we'll get any help from Ancestry, so best bet is pointing it out to RM in hopes they can do something.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:31 PM

If only RM would sort children by birth order when importing it's own GEDCOM file!  :)

Better that it had been added as a global tool so that it could be used on any database whether or not imported.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

Another tidbit:

- Facts you have marked in FTM as Private will not be private after conversion to RM7.

- Same also goes for Person Notes and Research Notes you might have marked as Private.

As far as I could tell, there's nothing in the gedcom file exported from FTM2014 Windows that marks it as private, so appears to be an FTM issue.

Just an FYI so that if you are thinking about posting your tree to FamilySearch via RM (or to MyRootsMagic), you don't post something you don't want the world to see by accident.

Speaking of which, does RM7 has a way to mark all facts of a type (i.e. Social Security Number) as Private? I see you can uncheck the 'Publish Online/create html' option in the fact list, but that's about it.

#16 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

Speaking of which, does RM7 has a way to mark all facts of a type (i.e. Social Security Number) as Private? I see you can uncheck the 'Publish Online/create html' option in the fact list, but that's about it.

RM does not have a way to mark a fact type as private, only individual events for that fact type. The best you can do is turn off the places where the fact type is used, and you already mentioned that option. I have some "private" fact types where all options are turned off. I only turn any  of the options back on just when they are needed, and then I turn them back off.

It's a pretty clumsy and slow process in RM to find which options are on or off for any particular fact type. You have to look at each fact type, one at a time. You can get around this problem with an SQLite report, or using TomH's RMTrix utility. Either way, you can get a report for all your fact types that looks much like an Excel spreadsheet. Using the utility is probably much easier for most users than is using SQlite.

Jerry

#17 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

RM does not have a way to mark a fact type as private, only individual events for that fact type. The best you can do is turn off the places where the fact type is used, and you already mentioned that option. I have some "private" fact types where all options are turned off. I only turn any  of the options back on just when they are needed, and then I turn them back off.

It's a pretty clumsy and slow process in RM to find which options are on or off for any particular fact type. You have to look at each fact type, one at a time. You can get around this problem with an SQLite report, or using TomH's RMTrix utility. Either way, you can get a report for all your fact types that looks much like an Excel spreadsheet. Using the utility is probably much easier for most users than is using SQlite.

Jerry

Thanks for the info.

RM7 has a 'Private' checkbox on each fact/event. That is what I was hoping to work with. It seems to be analogous to the FTM 'Private' checkbox. So I assume they work the same way.

FTM had a nice interface for setting a fact to private (think global search/replace) or making it Private automatically (think as a default setting) when you add a new fact/event of that type (i.e. SSN) to that person.

Doesn't look like RM has such a feature at this point. Would be a nice addition to any RM devs reading this.

#18 riegelstamm

riegelstamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

tschlarm, Back to the ADDRess issue: RM looks for separate city, state, postal code, and country fields rather than the place field, which is how addresses are supposed to be structured. RM's only problem is that, when it exports this data, it puts it at the wrong level in the GEDCOM. I've identified the problem to RM as well as on my blog in this article: Part 3: Importing Your FTM Tree into RootsMagic 7. Hopefully it will get fixed, but that won't solve your problem because FTM also structures it wrong, and you're right, Ancestry isn't likely to fix it.

Concerning private info, there's no way to indicate this in the GEDCOM standard. The main purpose of the boxes in FTM is so that FTM can privatize info before you export it to GEDCOM. I believe some apps use curly brackets in the GEDCOM to mark private data, but that's not standard. About all you could do is include the word "private" in the fact note for each fact that is private, or something like that, but there's no easy way to find or filter private info that I can think of.

#19 rob p

rob p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

First, THANK YOU RootsMagic for these efforts.

I re-exported my (Windows10) FTM2014 file after a few clean-ups, and imported into RM7.0.10.0.
Remarkable!

My LST file still contains a jillion "_FOOT" errors (These are apparently FTM exports when you re-write or customize their default footnotes. They don't really matter to me, because RM's are structured a little differently, and I may leave them alone... for now, anyway.)

I had a few errors related to entering an ADDRess with a date. (A genealogy program isn't a good place to store Contact data, anyway.) The few that mattered (date-significant), I changed to "Residence" in FTM (easy global swap, and they should have been "Residence" anyway), and all's well.

The only other errors listed were a few "_PRIV" (Private Tags). The only ones that 'failed' were Media items marked "private" in FTM.
Example:
0 @M4420@ OBJE
1 FILE D:\my stuff\My Family Genealogy\Family Tree Maker\P Family Tree (2) Media\slaron57 ancestry message.docx
2 TITL slaron57 ancestry message
2 DATE 7/22/2015 3:49:26 PM
1 _PRIV

Facts or Events that were marked private didn't show up on the LST file, but I can't find that designation in my resulting RM file. (?)

What we FTM-er's need to do now is determine what didn't transfer that didn't show up on the error log... and figure out where you put everything.

#20 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the update. I haven't finished the verification yet, but looks like most things came across from FTM 2014. The LST file isn't too big.

As a "wrap up" for FTM Refugees, is it RM's opinion the most complete export from FTM 2014 is the Gedcom 5.5/FTM2012 export?

So far that has been my experience as it also includes:

Media Date

Media Description

which Gedcom 5.5/Other does not.

I have a feeling this is the kind of advice many FTM converts are looking for. If so, you may want to update the FTM to RM video on your web site.

I'm still finding some problems like those explained by riegelstamm, is this RM's final effort to help?