• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xkanuk

xkanuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:14 AM

I'm a FTM4Mac/Ancestry.com survivor.  Given the recent EOL announce for FTM, I've recently installed RootsMagic7 for my Mac and updated to current release.  I've subscribed to MyHeritage to give it a go regarding its integration with RM.

I clicked on WebHints in RM7 and it brought up a MyHeritage link (newspapers.com?) with an obit of the person.  I "confirmed" the link but was expecting some option to "attach" an image of the obit and perhaps a source citation to my person record.  

When I go back to RM7, the hint shows as confirmed, but there is no evidence that any source or media has been attached.  

Am I missing something here?

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:30 AM

Am I missing something here?

Hints do not result in an exchange of data. They are just what the name implies ...hints that other websites have information available that matches someone in your database and one should investigate that info at those sites.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:43 AM

RM's Webhints for FamilySearch Family Tree also do not result in any exchange of data. RM does support data exchange with FSFT, but the mechanism for exchanging data with FSFT is totally different and separate from the mechanism for hints from FSFT. I don't think MyHeritage has an API that RM could use for exchanging data. RM can't exchange data with MyHeritage until and unless MyHeritage supports an API.

Absolutely nothing about Webhints is stored in your RM database, neither the Webhints for Myheritage nor the Webhint for FSFT. You can't search for WebHints in your RM database nor can you run reports against them. The only thing you can do is to go to somebody in RM's Family View, Pedigree View, or Descendant View and wait a few seconds to see if a light bulb is displayed. The light bulb is yellow if it is not confirmed and it is clear white if it is confirmed.

Whether the light bulb is yellow or white is not stored in your RM database. The confirmation of the hints is stored on the FSFT server for their Web hints and on the MyHeritage server for their WebHints. You can logon to the FSFT Web site and see the hints there as Record Hints. The hints are communal to the whole world, and the whole world can see them. Indeed, if another FSFT user has already confirmed a hint, it will show up in your RM as confirmed even though you didn't confirm it yourself. You can't logon to the MyHeritage Web site and see the hints. The only way to see the hints is through RM screens. And the MyHeritage hints are specific to you. They can't be seen by anybody else, even if they are running RM.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

The MyHeritage API that we work with does not have the capability to exchange data back and forth. That was MyHeritage's future plans. For now you need to manually copy and paste into RootsMagic.

Renee
RootsMagic