Photo

Narrative Report: Descendant (Question on Facts & Photo)

Report Narrative Descendant Facts Photo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy J. Barron

Timothy J. Barron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

As a new "refugee" from Family Tree Maker, I have a couple of questions pertaining to Narrative Reports in RootsMagic.

Reference Image:

http://timbarron.net...tive_report.jpg

Question 1: Is there a way to limit which facts are included in the narrative report?  

With Family Tree Maker, there was a (default) to include only "preferred" facts, which are birth, marriage, and death.  As you can see in my example, the RootsMagic narrative includes all facts.  This is something that I find to be useful or helpful.  The reason being, is that I have my own extensive "narrative" notes for each couple, etc.

Question 2: Is there a way to adjust the photo placement?

Note how "disjointed" the photo placement of the wife is in my example.  It appears the wife photograph is place next to the marriage fact, and then my notes begin.  Or is there a way to "force" the notes begin after the photograph, etc.?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

Question 1:

Go to Lists, Fact type list and Edit a fact. Unchecking Narrative reports means that fact will not be included in a Narrative report for everyone in the database.

On a person's Edit person screen, you can mark the fact as Private, and it will not be printed in a Narrative report and some other reports for that person unless you choose to print Private facts for that report.

If you choose to print Private facts on a report, all Private facts for everyone in the report will be printed.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

Question 2:

You can control somewhat what is printed to the right of a picture by adding extra lines in a Fact sentence template on the Edit person screen or extra lines in notes.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5556 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

You can save the report to Rich Text Format and then open it in Microsoft Word (no others work as well with this flavour of RTF) to make adjustments. If pagination changes, you can update Tables of Contents and Indexes in Word.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

Uncheck the box [] print notes to suppress all notes in the report.  But the base details of all facts would still be printed.

If you want to make many changes in the way lots of facts are [printed/not printed], make a copy of your database.  Make the modifications to each fact type as desired.  Make the report and then delete this temporary working database.  But make certain that you delete the temporary copy!  That way, you do not have to go back and reset the individual fact type settings to default.  Years ago, I had proposed the capability of having multiple profiles of fact type settings just for this purpose.

#6 Timothy J. Barron

Timothy J. Barron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

Question 1:

Go to Lists, Fact type list and Edit a fact. Unchecking Narrative reports means that fact will not be included in a Narrative report for everyone in the database.

On a person's Edit person screen, you can mark the fact as Private, and it will not be printed in a Narrative report and some other reports for that person unless you choose to print Private facts for that report.

If you choose to print Private facts on a report, all Private facts for everyone in the report will be printed.

While not intuitive, this did work, so thanks for answering.  All of the facts in my Family Tree Maker (FTM) file were created as the result of adding records via the Ancestry website.  But they are not something that I use, as I have free form narrative notes for each and every person, including transcriptions of every record, etc.

#7 Timothy J. Barron

Timothy J. Barron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

Question 2:

You can control somewhat what is printed to the right of a picture by adding extra lines in a Fact sentence template on the Edit person screen or extra lines in notes.

Unfortunately, it will not be a viable option with a database of 10,000 people, where each person has notes, etc.  With FTM, the photos could be place on the right side, or left side, etc.