• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Will60S

Will60S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:44 AM

I am new to RootsMagic, having just purchased version 7 a couple weeks ago. and have been making my way through all the video Webinars. I just finished watching the RootsMagic To-Go Webinar and decided this is a really great feature. So I went to Meijer and bought a 32 Gigabyte Thumb Drive. This will be big enough to last forever :)

Anyway, I returned home to install my RootsMagic To-Go. I cannot find the icon on my tool bar and have looked through the menu system and looked at help in the program. I looked in my copy of Getting the Most out of RootsMagic 7 and it tells how to install the program. Everything I can find starts with pressing the Roots-Magic To-Go button on the tool bar.

I have not found anything here on the forums yet so I hope this is not a duplicate thread.

How can I install this on my thumb drive? Is there a way to get the button to appear on my tool bar when it is not there?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:37 AM

I haven't watched that webinar, but I don't think there's a toolbar item that you are looking for. RM versions 5, 6 and 7 installed a [RootsMagic x To-Go] icon on my desktop (where the x is the version number). I have maintained RM versions 4 thru 7 on my computer, so I moved all the RM icons into a desktop folder (that's how I prefer to organize).

#3 Will60S

Will60S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for the help. I mostly use a MacBook Air computer for the last year or so. I did not see anything on there but I also have a Windows 7 PC back in my radio room. (I'm a ham radio operator - another hobby). So I installed the RootsMagic PC version on that computer and sure enough as you said, it installed a icon on my desktop for the RootsMagic To-Go utility. So I was able to install it on my thumb drive.

I think this will be a really nice feature for when I am working off site. I will just have to use the PC for integration when I return. Then Drop Box will take care of getting it to my MAC. Thanks again for the help.

This resolves the problem.  :)

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3409 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:15 AM

Then Drop Box will take care of getting it to my MAC. 

I'm a Dropbox user but not a Mac user, so I assume that Dropbox will work fine to share  your database between your PC and your Mac. But here is sort of a cautionary note. RM-To-Go is not really designed to share an RM database between two or more machines where RM is installed. It is designed to have RM installed on one machine and then to use RM on other machines where RM is not installed at all - such as a machine at the public library or at your brother-in-law's house.

The mode of operation which you seem to be going for is to have RM installed on two machines and to share the database between the two machines. You normally do so by actually installing RM on both machines and sharing the database via Dropbox or other similar tool. And the "other similar tool" could be a thumb drive that you use to synchronize the database between the two machines. But even if you were using a thumb drive in this manner, RM would be installed on both machines and you would not be using RM-To-Go.

With RM-To-Go, the RM software itself is installed on the thumb drive and also a copy of your database is stored on the same thumb drive.Strictly speaking, the program which is called RM-To-Go is stored on the same PC where RM is installed. The purpose of the RM-To-Go program is to synchronize the database between the hard disk of the PC and the thumb drive. So before you go to the public library, you synchronize the database between your PC and the thumb drive using RM-To-Go. When you then take the thumb drive to the public library, you are not running RM-To-Go. You are running a copy of the real RM that is stored on the thumb drive. When your return home from the public library, you run RM-To-Go again on your PC to resynchronize your database, and then you start using RM on your PC again.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8316 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

RootsMagic To-Go isn't supported on the Mac that is why the utility was not installed there.  It's only on the Windows version of RootsMagic. When we have the native Mac version of RootsMagic done it will work there.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:27 AM

Jerry makes a good point that RM to go is not intended to 'manage' your database just to view it on another PC!!

This was my intended use for RMTG but I found the programme would not run on PC's at some Archives I visited. I ended up using a freeware programme called Simple Family Tree. I installed it on a usb memory stick and then just save updated gedcom(s) to the stick as needed, so far SFT has worked at all the locations I've tried.

Perhaps this would work for Will?  Install using your your shack PC, then just copy gedcoms to the usb stick on the Mac?  Might provide a temp solution until the native version of RM is ready for the Mac?

Bob

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:35 AM

Jerry makes a good point that RM to go is not intended to 'manage' your database just to view it on another PC!!

This is actually not exactly complete (ie. not view-only).
To-Go allows one to plug into any available computer, enter additional data found while researching away from the home computer installation, and then return to that home machine and synchronize the newly-entered data to the existing database.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:18 AM

This is actually not exactly complete (ie. not view-only).
To-Go allows one to plug into any available computer, enter additional found while researching away from the home computer installation, and then return to thathome machine and synchronize the newly-entered data to the existing database.

I stand corrected about syncing data and that makes RMTG more useful than  Simple Family Tree  that I use!!  SFT may still be a 'stop gap' solution for Will's dilemma.

Bob

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:23 AM

I have never went to an archive and plugged a jump drive into their computer to use RootsMagic To Go to either just view the database or edit the database..

To limit using RootsMagic To Go to view only when plugging into another computer is a users choice.

I would not plug a jump drive into another computer to use RMTG just to view only.  I will use the RM app on my smartphone or Kindle Fire or another Android tablet or iPad.

I use RMTG often to transfer a current version of my database to the computer my husband uses.

I did it today.  Our WiFi is down and Dropbox is not an option.

I also don't have to think about there being a glitch in uploading or downloading the database using Dropbox.

Since I have the database saved to the same path on both computers, I don't even have to change the path to the database saved on the computer in RootsMagic To Go.

RMTG tells me which version of the database is the newer version, computer or jump drive, whichever computer the jump drive is plugged into.

My main use of RMTG is for part of my backup plan.  I have an SD card that lives in my tablet.  Every time I make changes in my database, I use RMTG to copy the database to the SD card and a jump drive when I close RM.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3409 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:28 AM

A little more about RM-To-Go: it is correct that when you make a thumb drive using RM-To-Go and take the thumb drive to another computer, you have an absolutely full function copy of RM on the thumb drive.You can view your database, and as others have pointed out, you can update your database. Apparently I didn't make it very clear that you can update. That's why you sync your main database with the thumb drive before you take it to another machine, and that's why you sync your main database with the thumb drive after you return the thumb drive back to your main machine. A great danger in using Rm-To-Go is forgetting to sync and therefore losing some updates - either the updates you did on the thumb drive or updates that you did on your main machine. You have to be very disciplined about doing the sync if you use RM-To-Go to do updates.

The little RM-To-Go program that runs on your main machine actually has two functions. One is to do the aforementioned sync of your database between the main machine and the thumb drive. The other is to install your current RM program on the thumb drive. The current version of your RM program will be installed on the thumb drive, and it will include your license key so that the program can run on any other machine. If you update the RM on your main machine, you need to run the little RM-To-Go program on your main machine to bring the copy of the full RM program on the thumb drive up to the same level of RM. Well, there's a third thing that the little RM-To-Go program does. It places a copy of your spell check dictionary on the thumb drive to include any words that you have added to the spell check dictionary (usually surnames, in my experience). But it only copies the spell check dictionary once. It doesn't keep it synced thereafter. So for example, if you add words to the spell check dictionary while running the full RM from the thumb drive on another machine, the added words will not be in the spell check dictionary on your main machine unless you copy the file for the spell check dictionary yourself.

Finally, there the problem of media. The little RM-To-Go program that you run on your main machine doesn't do anything to place a copy of your media on the thumb drive nor to keep media synced between your main machine and the thumb drive. You have to do that yourself. I do so, but then the copy of RM on the thumb drive thinks all the links are broken because the file path for the files on the thumb drive is not the same as the file path for the files on my main machine. So I usually just do without my media when running from the thumb drive. When I really want to use my media when running from the thumb drive, I usually just do a global replace of high level part of the file names on the copy of the database on the thumb drive. You can do this from within RM itself. But RM really needs a better solution - probably a solution where it supports relative addressing of folder structures as is supported from HTML. I do sync all my media myself between my main machine and my thumb drive and I do maintain the overall folder structure. But things like the drive letter and the high level of the folder structure of necessity are going to be different between the thumb drive and your main machine.

Jerry

#11 Debbie56

Debbie56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

I was trying to install RootsMagic to Go using my MAC, but if I am reading this correctly, this feature is not yet available on MAC.  First, is this correct, and second, is there any timeline when it might be available for the MAC?

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8316 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

RootsMagic for Mac does not support RootsMagic To-Go so you will not see the utility on install to use that feature. It will be available when the rewrite for the native Mac version of RM is released. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:41 AM

I stand corrected about syncing data and that makes RMTG more useful than  Simple Family Tree  that I use!!  SFT may still be a 'stop gap' solution for Will's dilemma.

Bob

As someone who, until recently, has rarely found himself working on the same PC I started using RM on a thumb drive back in version 3, and yes I know RMtoGo did not exist as a feature back then. I would say in the years between then and now ~70% of my data management has been performed on a thumb drive and my home and laptop updated when possible. If working like this you must discipline yourself to sync up before being tempted to open your database on your desktop and make some alterations to what effectively is a second copy of your database.

I still find many research facilities prohibiting the entry of laptops and often other devices which may be used to grab images etc so I have found RMtoGo invaluable.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#14 lorluk

lorluk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

when will pure native Mac version of RootsMagic be available?

if I choose to buy roots magic 7 for mac now and deal with features not offered on Mac

until pure native copy available...

will i need to repurchase the pure native Mac version OR

will there be an option to just convert to the pure native version...at no additional cost

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

when will pure native Mac version of RootsMagic be available?

Versions of RootsMagic are announced when their availability is "ready to sell". They have likely slowed work on the rewrite in order to incorporate Ancestry.com transfer capabilities into version 7.x (already announced).

if I choose to buy roots magic 7 for mac now and deal with features not offered on Mac
until pure native copy available...

will i need to repurchase the pure native Mac version OR
will there be an option to just convert to the pure native version...at no additional cost

Purchasing version 7 now will not get you a free upgrade to the Mac-native version... but all owners of a prior version typically get a discounted price on newer versions.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8316 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

The native Mac version would be a new version number so there would be an upgrade price to go from RootsMagic 7. You really should download RootsMagic Essentials for Mac and give it a test. You will find it works like any Mac program. A lot of our users don't even realize its not a native Mac program.

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 lorluk

lorluk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

The native Mac version would be a new version number so there would be an upgrade price to go from RootsMagic 7. You really should download RootsMagic Essentials for Mac and give it a test. You will find it works like any Mac program. A lot of our users don't even realize its not a native Mac program.

Thanks!