3 replies to this topic

#1 Clarinetter

Clarinetter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

I have been customizing sentences in an individual's profile ready for a narrative report, rather than doing so globally which I may ultimately do.

Is there any way to prevent RM from enclosing a nickname parentheses e.g. (Peter)?

[Using RM (UK) version 7.5.7.0 as at 24th July 2018]

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

Tools, File options, Nickname format dropdown menu.

#3 Clarinetter

Clarinetter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:50 AM

Thank you Laura, but it still encloses it in inverted commas as the only other option. Once I've exported a narrative report I'll just replace the parentheses with search and replace in Word.

[Using RM (UK) version 7.5.7.0 as at 24th July 2018]

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:30 AM

I have to ask: given that you don't want any punctuation to be associated with the nickname, why not just include the nickname as a part of the regular name field?

In my personal case, nickname is one of the RM features that I used extensively for many years but which recently I have decided to quit using. The reason is lack of compatibility with third party genealogy software. In my case it was because my nicknames were not being stored into FSFT through the FSFT API interface with RM. I do use punctuation when I store nicknames in the regular name field, but you don't have to. And occasionally I will see data for other users where they list such names as Joseph Joe Doe or Jane Jenny Doe whereas I would store the data as Joseph (Joe) Doe or Jane (Jenny) Doe.

Jerry