5 replies to this topic

#1 Architect

Architect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

Hi guys,

I just bought Rootsmagic 7, and I was wondering if it was possible to modify value or create some so I can customize sentence template and make some in other language.

I saw that I can create and modify Fact type, but they style have values (exemple: [couple]) that will still include english articles. Is there anyway to modify those?

Thanks alot for any help you can provide.

Best regards,

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:59 PM

You will need to get rid of the articles with things like [date:plain], [place:plain], etc. in the sentence templates. Then, you can introduce articles back into the sentence templates in the language of your choice.

However, you will find that certain text in some reports is not governed by sentence templates. A particularly difficult example is the list of children to be carried forward in NGSQ and NEHGS reports. In any case, even with sentence templates in the language of your choice, you are likely to have save narrative reports as RTF files and edit them with a word processor to find and fix any residual English that might need to be translated into the language of your choice.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

In any case, even with sentence templates in the language of your choice, you are likely to have save narrative reports as RTF files and edit them with a word processor to find and fix any residual English that might need to be translated into the language of your choice.

Fortunately, because they are hard-coded, they will be repetitive and with few patterns making global search and replace pretty easy and fast. Support for other languages was promised and expected years ago but has been sidetracked. A new version is being built on a new 'universal' development platform to support multiple operating systems. Maybe multiple language interface will follow... 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Architect

Architect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the fast answer.

I've tried that already. For exemple, the sentence : [Couple] was/were maried in...

I've swtich it to : [Couple] ce sont/s'étaient mariés à...

Unfortunately, the value [Couple] Still send Person "and" person, or sometimes "They".

I've find no way to modify the value [Couple] to take off the "and" or any other value included in template sentence.

So basically the way I understand your answers, I will need to switch those with a "search and replace" only after I've done my report?

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:32 AM

Instead of [Couple] use [Husband] and [Wife] for the marriage fact.  That should allow you to replace the and in that sentence..  [Husband] and Wife] can be used in any Family fact sentence.  And is hardwired in if you use [Couple].

I don't remember [Husband] and [Wife] cycling with They.

To prevent RM from cycling between the name and he or she or they for any fact, use :Nocycle, i.e. [Couple:Nocycle]

This will not affect any hardwired sentences in a Narrative report such as "They had the following children"  Those will have to be replaced in a word processor program.

For an example of what you can do with sentences in RM, my marriage default sentence is:

<?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|<%[Husband] married [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> married [Husband]>< [desc]>< [Date:DayofWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>|<%[Husband] and [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> and [Husband]>'s marriage date and place are not known>.

It has a Value switch with 2 nested Gender switches

Value switch:  <?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|<%[ = if the is an entry in Date, Description, Place, or Place detail print the following

True part of rhe Value switch:

Gender switch:  |<%[Husband] married [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> married [Husband]> prints Husbands name first the focus person is male in the Narratuve report and the Wife's Given and Surname first if the focus person is female.

< [desc]>< [Date:DayofWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>|<%[ prints the entries in the fact

False part of the Value switch:

Gender switch:  |<%[Husband] and [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]>|[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]> and [Husband]> prints the names according to gender as the other gender switch does

's marriage date and place are not known>.  finishes the Value switch.

Switches are opened by a < and closed by a > so you may need more than one > together within the sentence or at the end.

I use [Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]> to make it easier to Customize a sentence in the Edit person screen to add a females's previous married name if that is her surname in the marriage record.

[Wife:given]< ([Wife:surname])> type in previous married surname

This prints the wife's maiden name, maiden name between ( ), and previous married surname.

Check out Help, Content, Search, Sentence template language and display the first article on the list.

I practice constructing sentences in a copy of my database named Play.  When the sentence does what I want it to, I then copy it into my main database.

#6 Architect

Architect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:16 AM

Wow thanks a lot Laura, that will sure help my work.

Thanks to you all for your very fast answer.

Alexander