28 replies to this topic

#21 steady

steady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:55 AM

Hi

I have finished changing my media so that Roots can read them and have changed 720 items. Surely this is wrong. Is there something I have done wrong or is this the way Roots Gedcoms the media files. I found that the size of the file is not the cause as some of them were only about 500kb?

#22 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

I thought the conclusion was that Ancestry assigned the JPG file extension to GIF and TIFF files in some of its databases over some period of time. If that is correct, it is not RootsMagic's handling of the GEDCOM from FTM that is at fault. Nor does it seem to be a widely reported issue. It seems moot that RootsMagic should undertake to detect these mistyped files and take any corrective action.

Instead of fixing your 720 defective filenames one at a time, perhaps a procedure along these lines would have speeded things up:

1. Run GraphicMagick or equivalent  to detect the mismatched extensions.
  2. Use the results from that to build in a spreadsheet a series of Windows commands to make copies of the files with the correct extension.
  3. Execute the command line file from 2. Now we have the files correctly named but not linked to RootsMagic.
  4. Use the GraphicMagick results to build in the spreadsheet a series of SQLite commands to UPDATE the MultiMediaTable columns that contain the path and filename of these mismatched files so that they will point to the corrected files.
  5. Execute the batch of SQLite commands in a SQLite manager.

That should result in RootsMagic being happy with the corrected files.

An alternative would be to replace steps 4 and 5 with operations on the GEDCOM file using a text editor having a scripting language such as Notepad++ and then import the GEDCOM into a new database.

Admittedly, both may be daunting procedures for most people so, if it were a common problem, it could be in RootsMagic's interest to build in an automatic solution.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#23 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

Following up on Tom's note, I'm not sure that I any longer understand what the original problem was. So I just did the following experiment. All my .TIF or .TIFF files really were .TIF/.TIFF files.

• I linked a .TIF file into RM as an image, and everything was fine. RM opened the file just fine with its internal viewer.
  • I linked a .TIFF file into RM as an image, and everything was fine. RM opened the file just fine with its internal viewer.
  • I linked a .TIF file into RM as a file, and everything was fine. RM opened the file just fine with an external viewer.
  • I linked a .TIFF file into RM as a file, and everything was fine. RM opened the file just fine with an external viewer.

So was indeed the original problem as Tom suggested that the file extension did not match the actual file type? (e.g., where a .TIF file had a .JPG extension)

Jerry

#24 steady

steady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hi

All the files are jpg not gif,tiff,tif.

#25 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

As I scroll down viewing the thumbnails in the Media Gallery, I open the Properties of any thumbnail that has a Red X.

I type Check at the beginning of the Caption.

Then I can enter Check in the search box and the Medka Gallery list is filtered for the media that needs corrected.

#26 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

Hi

All the files are jpg not gif,tiff,tif.

So your problem was that they were in one of the JPEG formats unsupported by the RM media processes? If so, I think there was a reference to one or more batch converters that could change the format to one of those it does support.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#27 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

RMTrix produces a columnar list of media. All the columns are sortable just by clicking the top of the column. One of the columns is broken links. So I just bring up the report and click on the broken links column.

Jerry

#28 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

So there were two different problems conflated in this discussion:

• steady's incompatible JPEGs
  • BarbNortonEl's mismatched file types and extensions

#29 steady

steady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:34 AM

Hi

I am afraid I am not very computer literate, so I will finish my listings the way I am doing at the moment. That is : I have made a list of the files in Roots that are not showing- open up the Family Tree media folder and scroll down to the ones I have just itemised- right click it-open with paint - then save as jpeg again - it then asks if I wish to replace -I click Ok- it is then saved as a smaller file and is opened in Roots.

Thank you for all your input.