• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 steady

steady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:38 AM

I have just Gedcommed my tree from FTM and created a media gallery. Some of the thumnails are blank with just the name of the person. How can I rectify this as the media IS on my computer? Can I cut and paste? I am using RM7.

steady

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

If you see a little red x at the bottom of the images then there are broken media links. Go to Lists>Media Gallery>Tools>Fix broken media links to repair them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 steady

steady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

I have tried the fix media links,but that does not fix my problem. What is happening is, when I want to look at the media for a person,there are some items of media that I can view,but some just have the name in blue at the bottom of the space where the media should be. If I click on the space it changes to a red square but with no media in it. I hope you understand all that.

Steady

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

I have tried the fix media links,but that does not fix my problem. What is happening is, when I want to look at the media for a person,there are some items of media that I can view,but some just have the name in blue at the bottom of the space where the media should be. If I click on the space it changes to a red square but with no media in it. I hope you understand all that.

Might you have had some media that was saved in the .TIF(F) graphic format ?
I believe RootsMagic does not handle certain .TIF(F) formatted files, particularly larger ones that use certain compression scheme(s).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

Can you look at the Media Tag and give us the pathname to your media.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 steady

steady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hi

The path I have is: c:\users\owner\documents\family tree maker\the munday family2 media\my baptism.jpg. This is the path that most of the media is.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

I vaguely recall that there are some JPEG configurations that the RootsMagic image processor cannot handle. If you have something like IrfanView, you might try comparing the properties of tiles that display vs those that do not and then convert the latter to have the properties of the former.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Also check whether the blank thumbnails are for JPG files that were added as type "file" rather than type "image".

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 steady

steady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:26 AM

Hi

Could the problem be the size of the image. I tried with one of my images. I changed it from a jpeg to a gif which reduced the size and it placed the edited image in the media file. Let me know what you think.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:54 AM

Try double-clicking on the blank boxes to see whether the RootsMagic picture viewer opens (does it display the image?) or whether an external application opens the file.

#11 rob p

rob p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:09 AM

...that reminds me...
Is there a setting or way to have the media viewer use the computer's default viewer for that type? (PDFs, Word docs, and texts do.)
The RM "picture viewer" is clunky to use when zooming, panning, etc. (like on a hi-res image of a large document for instance).

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3528 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

...that reminds me...
Is there a setting or way to have the media viewer use the computer's default viewer for that type? (PDFs, Word docs, and texts do.)
The RM "picture viewer" is clunky to use when zooming, panning, etc. (like on a hi-res image of a large document for instance).

When you first load an image into RM, there is an option to load it either as a file or as an image. If you load it as a file, it will be opened by the computer's default program for that file type. If you load it as an image, it will be opened by RM.

Having loaded an image, you are kind of stuck with your choice of file or image. Within RM, you can change the option only by deleting the image and importing it a second time with the other option. Or if you are willing to use SQLite, you can change the option that way.

I'm probably in the minority, but I import almost all my media as files rather than as images. In addition to getting a better viewer, I also get the ability to have the RM window open and active at the same time as the window for viewing the media. The disadvantage in loading images as files is that if you do so you are not able to use any of the RM facilities for printing images,

Jerry

#13 rob p

rob p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

When you first load an image into RM, there is an option to load it either as a file or as an image. If you load it as a file, it will be opened by the computer's default program for that file type. If you load it as an image, it will be opened by RM.

Having loaded an image, you are kind of stuck with your choice of file or image. Within RM, you can change the option only by deleting the image and importing it a second time with the other option. Or if you are willing to use SQLite, you can change the option that way.

Apparently these all arrived from the FTM Gedcom as "images". I don't see in the GEDCOM where that designation is made. (If it were, I could make a Gedcom edit before import.)

Was there an import option in RM?

And, I understand the power of the SQLite tools/database structure, but these are not actions the average bear wants to do (or is capable).

#14 BarbNortonEl

BarbNortonEl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

I have some of these "blank" thumbnails as well appearing in Media Gallery.

(fresh export/import GEDCOM from FTM2014 yesterday after update 7.0.10.0 using the updated instructions)

If you double click on the blank thumbnail, the Media Edit window appears but it too is blank.

I looked at what these files were in FileExplorer and all the ones I checked (about five but I have more then that) have come from Ancestry from various databases. They were all very small files (under 700 KB) and all JPEGs.

I could see their thumbnails in FileExplorer but when I tried to "Open with..." (from FileExplorer) to my Adobe PS Elements program I got the error "Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."

So I "Open with.." the file to Windows Paint and it was able to open the file. I didn't change anything and "Saved as" to the same file name, selecting to create it as a JPEG. That same file is now over 8 MB.  {Edited to add - I don't use Paint so I'm not sure if this is the default setting but it wanted to save the file as a TIFF, not a JPEG. I had to change it to JPEG.}

I refreshed my Media Gallery and the thumbnail for the file was now present.

So, in my case, it is something (some sort of compression?) done by Ancestry to these files that RM (and Adobe) cannot read.

#15 steady

steady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:04 AM

I am in the process of doing what BarbNortonEL suggested. So far I have had to change 261 and that is only from A-F. I have the rest of the alphabet to go! If this is the case it is not vey good for people wanting to change from FTM to Roots. It is VERY time consuming. The process I describe above actually reduces the size of the jpeg file in my case. Is there any other way I can complete this?

#16 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1505 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

There are lots of image processing programs available that can do batch processing of groups of files. I have used Graphic Workshop Professional for many years. ( http://www.mindworks...com/gwspro.html )  If you would like to explore other options, consider searching at Download.com ( http://download.cnet.com/windows/ )  Some programs are free, some free to try, some have a cost to purchase.

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:38 AM

If Paint wanted to Save As TIFF, then it is likely that the original file was TIFF, mislabeled with the JPG extension. Simply renaming the file with the right extension would satisfy Adobe PS and probably the RM Photo Viewer. Unfortunately, renaming would break the media link in RM unless you do it very carefully from within RM.

Next time you encounter one of these, browse with Windows File Explorer, set it to show the file extension, right-click on the filename, select File Properties, and see if it reports the file type the same as the extension. Just tested that theory and discovered that Windows File Properties does not appear to read the file header and merely trusts the extension to be accurate.

Edited by TomH, 05 January 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#18 BarbNortonEl

BarbNortonEl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

I finished up fixing these "blank" thumbnail files on Sunday. I only had 50 to fix so it wasn't a large task for me (I feel bad for you steady!)

As I went through them, some defaulted to GIF extension, so there is a mixture of TIFF and GIF files.

Tom, I check the file Properties as requested and both kinds displayed JPEG type with a .jpeg extension. 

I still had original copies of all these images so I tested one I knew was a GIF variety and changed the extension to .gif and that did allow Adobe PS to open it so I imagine it would work in RM as well. The trouble is you can't tell if it's a GIF or a TIFF from the file properties.

Because there is no way to sort the Media Gallery to put these "blank" thumbnails all together, you really do have to go one by one as you scroll down the page.

And to complicated it even further, not all images from the contributing databases have this problem. It appears to depend on when you downloaded them (my earliest one appears to be from 2011), so Ancestry must have found the problem and fixed it at some point in time. I think my images were from about 8 different databases (some US and some Canadian).

#19 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

I found a command line utility that can report the image type by reading the file header. Here is an example of the output from the options I chose:

JPEG	jpg	!DELETE.jpg
JPEG	jpg	!TEMP.jpg
JPEG	jpg	15-Shaw-AuntTriss-UncleTom-Portrait.jpg
PNG	jpg	5613OCF-Z.jpg
JPEG	jpg	Reeve-Grandad&freiends.jpg

The first column is the image type detected from the file header. The second column is the extension.

The PNG file is misnamed with the .jpg extension.

The utility is GraphicsMagick http://www.graphicsmagick.org

The command line I used was:

>gm identify *.jpg -format "%m*%e*%f\n" >jpg.txt

I opened jpg.txt in Excel delimited by "*" so that everything was in columns (some extensions are ".jpg-original") and it would be easy to filter for non JPEG cells.

#20 BarbNortonEl

BarbNortonEl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Thanks Tom. Even though I've already fixed mine manually in my RM media folder, I can still run it on the FTM media folder to see what drops out.