15 replies to this topic

#1 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

Haven't tried it, but was informed of the GEDCOM Ancestry Tree Downloader tool at http://www.llenrup.com/downloader.

"GEDCOM Downloader is a utility tool for people with family trees hosted on Ancestry that they want to download.

ancestry is a great service but sometimes you just want to get all the media you have uploaded down and have your local GEDCOM file access it from a more accessible web site."

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5874 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

This is a huge find, Romer. The main reason I got Family Tree Maker 2012/2014 was to batch download media and that capability is to end by 2017. So I am keen to see how well this utility will function with Ancestry and the downloaded files with RootsMagic.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Big news, indeed !!

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:56 AM

The issue that has concerned me since I first came across details of this site is the anonymity of "owner/Creator", which is why I won't use it.  

Who is the author and what credibility does he/she have?

What trust can you place in someone who 'refuses' to disclose an identity on their site or provide contact details, other than a link to a closed Google Group (which I have no intention of using)?

Am I going to trust the bald statement: 

"Do llenrup.coms GEDCOM Tools store my files?" Answer "No", which doesn't provide any guarantee that the content won't be retained or reused?

Am I going to provide an anonymous site with a GEDOM File containing "private" information on living individuals, plus an Ancestry ID and Password which would be needed in order to access any private online trees?

Perhaps I'm simply too careful, he said while donning his tinfoil helmet.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#5 ValSG

ValSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

His name is John Purnell, according to this...

http://www.wikitree....d-what-can-i-do

Quote:

"I have created a free web based tree splitting service athttp://llenrup.com/splitterthat should help.
answered Feb 26 by John Purnell G2G Rookie (210 points)"

Clicking his name on the page gave his bio page there.

*I too had felt...."hmmmm" when looking at his website, looking at all the pages/links, because of the lack of identity and the process he uses.  So, I googled [erm, Yahoo'd] "Llenrup" and got the hit to the wikitree.

So, this just might be a plausible way of doing things for some, especially with Ancestry stopping FTM sales.  Granted, personally, like mjashby, I'd want things with the guy checked out a bit more...  Maybe some more googling [erm, Yahooing in my case] of he, himself, might give us more to go on, not to mention, if anyone wants to give him a scribble or a shout out and see what he answers.

#6 ValSG

ValSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

There was also a discussion the the FamilyHistorian forum, back last June, about the website and John Purnell.  Ya'll might want to take a peek... and see what they were saying...  The entries about it start at the ninth one down.  Mike Tate states he added it to their Knowledge Base...

http://www.fhug.org....hp?f=40&t=12682

[hmmm... Mervyn, are you the Mervyn on that FamilyHistorian page?  I just now realized the same names as one of the posters there...]

Hmmm, he also is listed on GenSoftReviews... the second and third entries...

http://www.gensoftre...=onli&type=util

#7 ValSG

ValSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Well, what d'ya know...  I had not noticed... got my blinders on I'm reckoning...

Purnell - Names Encyclopedia
www.namespedia.com/details/Purnell
*Purnell reversed is Llenrup*

Plain as day, when you realize it.

^_^

#8 dnelson

dnelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

Hi,

I am another FTM user looking to get my images off Ancestry.

I have tried this but after uploading my gedcom file and logging me onto Ancestry successfully, the correct number of individuals is displayed, and I select whether to save to DropBox or GoogleDrive ((http://www.llenrup.c...comUploadFinish). Then nothing happens. What should happen at this stage?

Regards

Debbie

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5874 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

Debbie, I have yet to find anyone who has reported success. Have you checked your Dropbox or Google Drive folders or did you not even get the chance to logon. The author is accessible via his support forum at https://groups.googl...com-tools-forum

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 dnelson

dnelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

Thanks TomH. A case of "If it seems too good it usually is" !

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7949 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

On GEDCOM Ancestry Tree Downloader support group page I found John Purnell (author) reply to TomH interesting. I will share it here.

I made this site to help with my own family history needs and to learn some particular web programming techniques.  The last time I checked there are some problems downloading some images as ancestry has changed some of its internal APIs. It's possible they are making this deliberately difficult now. Some day when I get time I will investigate. The splitter does not need any passwords only the downloader. Even making this local would still need your ancestry credentials to operate.

So basically, it doesn't work right now. Just like people have reported.

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Timothy J. Barron

Timothy J. Barron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

Hi,

I am another FTM user looking to get my images off Ancestry.

The only viable option that you might have is buying Family Tree Maker (FTM), while you still can, and then synching the tree from Ancestry to FTM.  It will download all images you uploaded, as well as images for any records that you linked, such as census, etc.

#13 gldaggett

gldaggett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:30 AM

There are some reasonably priced FTM2014 CD's listed on ebay now and then. I bought one for security as I had downloaded the software originally. It was genuine FTM disk in a sleeve.i paid under $30. Small price to pay for security of all the hours I put into this.

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3083 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

There are some reasonably priced FTM2014 CD's listed on ebay now and then. I bought one for security as I had downloaded the software originally. It was genuine FTM disk in a sleeve.i paid under $30. Small price to pay for security of all the hours I put into this.

Interesting. I purchased a full TMG license after it was no longer possible to purchase TMG directly from the company. And I purchased a full FTM license on 12/31/2015 because I thought that was the last day it was possible to purchase the product. It never occurred to me that FTM CD's might be available even later than that. In the case of TMG, I got a license from a dealer in Europe. Downloading the product was still easy, but I needed a license to unlock it.

I have never been a TMG user nor an FTM user, and with one possible exception I never really intend to use either product. So buying both products was probably a fool's errand. In the case of TMG, I think the product has some intriguing concepts and I wanted to see exactly how RM imported some of the more interesting TMG data structures. It has given me a lot of good ideas for using RM. In the case of FTM, I might actually be interested in using the product a little bit, just for making reports. I would have to export RM GEDCOM to FTM in order to be able to do so. But I was intrigued by some of the sample reports that FTM refugees posted. FTM appears to be able to make very beautiful books, much better than anything I have seen RM or TMG do. But whether or not I ever use FTM to make books, it felt like good insurance to have a copy just in case.

Jerry

#15 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:18 PM

Well, with the recent ancestry.com/RootsMagic announcement of being able to sync between the two, etc, it sounds as though a third-party tool will no longer be required once the functionality's been put into place.

#16 PeterSanders

PeterSanders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:56 AM

There are some reasonably priced FTM2014 CD's listed on ebay now and then. I bought one for security as I had downloaded the software originally. It was https://dudehung.com...iew-and-results from the jes extender website and genuine FTM disk in a sleeve.i paid under $30. Small price to pay for security of all the hours I put into this.

Yeah, I saw one on ebay recently so it's definitely a working version and not a scam then?