• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jayne Paradis

Jayne Paradis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

I have been trying out Roots Magic and was looking at some of the different reports available.  The pedigree reports only seems to go to 4 generations and no further.  How do i get it to up to say 8 or 10 generations, for example?

Jayne Paradis

Winnipeg, Canada

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:15 PM

[]  Print cascading charts

Click on the above box.  You can select 4, 5, or 6 generations per page.  You can select the total nuber of generations to print.  You can work with the name index and place index.  Just try all options.  You do not have to print.  Just look at the results on the screen.

#3 haleswd

haleswd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

I am looking to print a pedigree wall chart that goes back 16 generations.  I can't tell if the Pro version can do something that large.   I don't want to purchase it and waste my money.  Can you tell me if the pro version is capable of such a large tree?

#4 sfr46

sfr46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:45 AM

I am looking to print a pedigree wall chart that goes back 16 generations.  I can't tell if the Pro version can do something that large.   I don't want to purchase it and waste my money.  Can you tell me if the pro version is capable of such a large tree?

I'm in the same position as you having to find a new home for my research in the future but I see no rush at present. I have been doing a lot of research on what is available and I feel confident in saying the pro version is not going to unlock any extra reporting features for you, hopefully someone at Rootsmagic will confirm.

What I don't want in the future is something that accepts my data pefectly and then I cannot find or report that data out, like a locked box.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

None of the wall charts are available in RootsMagic Essentials else haleswd would not need to ask the question. For a comparison of the features included in the full vs the free versions of RootsMagic, visit http://rootsmagic.co...c/Features.aspx

As to the question, there is no stated limit on the number of generations in the Help system and the input control tops out at 100. However, there might be a limit of 32 because the program is a 32-bit program; that is definitely the limit for the narrative Ancestor report which uses Ahnentafel numbering (2 raised to the power #gen). In either case, 16 gens seems to be well within either limit.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

Running RM 7.0.10.0 on Win7
For those willing to believe the various sources (historical, legendary, and mythological) that I have referenced in my reasearch, here's some testing from my database:

-

Tools - Relationship Calculator
-- I have at least one individual linked to an to an 84th granddaughter

-

Reports - Charts- Relationship Chart
-- created 84th great grandparent chart in 1 or 2 seconds

-

Reports - Charts - Wall Chart - Ancestor Chart set to 90 generations
-- appeared to stop at adding 4929 people, but Task Manager shows RootsMagic Chart is still running
-- played a game of Solitaire - RM Chart chimed in the background, and failed to present the chart, although Task Manager says it is still running
 -- played a game of Mahjong - RM Chart still not displaying, so I ended the task
-- restarted RM Chart with 50 generations - again quit adding people at 4929
-- restarted RM Chart with 30 generations - added, linked & displayed 4800+ people in 28 or 29 generations (hard to count accurately)

-

Reports - Narrative _ Ancestors only - 30 generations
-- took under an hour to create a 925 page report including indices
-- successfully saved as a PDF

#7 sfr46

sfr46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

None of the wall charts are available in RootsMagic Essentials else haleswd would not need to ask the question. For a comparison of the features included in the full vs the free versions of RootsMagic, visit http://rootsmagic.co...c/Features.aspx

I stand corrected and my apologies for my ignorance.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

Reports - Charts - Wall Chart - Ancestor Chart set to 90 generations

-- appeared to stop at adding 4929 people, but Task Manager shows RootsMagic Chart is still running
-- played a game of Solitaire - RM Chart chimed in the background, and failed to present the chart, although Task Manager says it is still running
 -- played a game of Mahjong - RM Chart still not displaying, so I ended the task
-- restarted RM Chart with 50 generations - again quit adding people at 4929
-- restarted RM Chart with 30 generations - added, linked & displayed 4800+ people in 28 or 29 generations (hard to count accurately)

Nice test. Looks probable that the chart limit is 32 (or 31) except, if you only counted 28 or 29 for a 30-gen chart from a tree with way more than that, there is a gen or two gone astray...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

As to the question, there is no stated limit on the number of generations in the Help system and the input control tops out at 100. However, there might be a limit of 32 because the program is a 32-bit program; that is definitely the limit for the narrative Ancestor report which uses Ahnentafel numbering (2 raised to the power #gen). In either case, 16 gens seems to be well within either limit.

For the ancestor narrative report, the Ahnentafel numbers go negative on the 32nd generation.

#10 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:55 AM

Printed reports have limitations set by standard paper and font sizes. Wall charts are only limited by the size of the printer/display. You can have wall charts printed on large format paper by Kinko's, Office Depot or any of a number of online services.