Photo

separate city, county and zip for places?

TMG fields sentences

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 robertjm

robertjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi all,

I'm working on importing my database from The Master Genealogist, and working over glitches as I find them.

In TMG, when you enter a fact, there are separate fields for ADDRESSEE, DETAIL, CITY, COUNTY, STATE, COUNTRY, POSTAL, PHONE, LATLONG and TEMPLE. These are apparently stored in the db as L1 through L10.

When I look at the RM7 sentence for this record, it comes up as

Louis Edwin Marshall was listed in the 1922  [L3] City Directory as  "[M1]"   [M2].

I am well aware of the split Memo field apparently not being implemented in RM7. But, I was hoping that the place was split into the different parts. Is it, and I'm just not seeing it, or is that just not being done? I tried to use [city] in the sentence. But, that didn't do anything. But, when I used [place] it inserted the entire string I have for the Place field in RM7 (i.e.: Oakland, Alameda, California).

This is one of the custom tags I created in TMG, so if it can't be done, then so be it. But, I'd hope the separate address parts were, truly separate as it makes sense from a db design standpoint.

Thanks for reading,

Robert

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

With one exception, a place in RM is a single string, not broken into parts. The single exception is that that you can use a second string called PlaceDetails. Typically, the PlaceDetails field would be used for something like a hospital for a birth or death event or a cemetery for a burial event. Hence, the place variables you can have in a sentence template are [Place] and [PlaceDetails], and that's it.

I really like the improvements you can make to sentences in narrative reports using PlaceDetails, but I'm moving away from PlaceDetails and putting everything back into the single string for Place. The reason is that PlaceDetails does not export well to other genealogy software, sort of like all the place parts in TMG don't export well to other genealogy software. Each RM user will have to evaluate the relative advantages and disadvantages of using PlaceDetails and make their own decision about whether to use it or not.

Jerry

#3 robertjm

robertjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:38 PM

Bummer. But, not necessarily unexpected. I guess I'll look at possibly converting from my CITY_DIRECTORY tag to ADDRESS (or whatever it's called in RM7).

The M1 and M2 in the above examples are both currently stuffed into the Note field, so I guess I can change that to reference NOTE. But, I'll have to find a way to strip out the II which migrated over from TMG, if that's easy to do. Might just need to manually edit them.

#4 robertjm

robertjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:42 PM

GRRRR!!! What's the Note field in RM7 called? I tried [Note] and that didn't work.

#5 robertjm

robertjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:17 AM

OK, so apparently I can stuff the city if I use [Place:first] (or stuff the state if I use [place:last]), so that resolves the name part of the sentence I'm trying to write, and I was finally able to get [Desc] working.

With that taken care of, I'm almost good to go with my original custom tag.

Here's the sentence structure;

[Person] was listed <in the [Date:Plain] [Place:first]> City Directory as  <[Desc]> .

Which writes out:

He was listed in the 1933 in Oakland City Directory as Louis E. Marshall r2721 Linden || (pg. 502 Polk's).

How do I get rid of that second "in" which is being auto-populated by the [Place:first] element???

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

[Place:First:Plain]

#7 robertjm

robertjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:05 AM

Sweet! Thanks much Laura.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:29 AM

You may find something of value on this page http://sqlitetoolsfo...Magic Migration

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:50 AM

GRRRR!!! What's the Note field in RM7 called? I tried [Note] and that didn't work.

The note field in RM is called Note but there is not a [Note] variable in the Sentence Template Language. Rather, the note is always there in narrative reports. It's as if every sentence template ends with [Note]. Well, there is a report option not to include notes, but the option is all or nothing. The [Desc] field in RM works more like the [M] field in TMG, but RM's [Desc] field is limited to about 100 characters. Actually, it's not limited as you enter it, but it's limited if you export it via GEDCOM.

Jerry

#10 robertjm

robertjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Jerry! There's a gotcha worth knowing then. Fortunately, the entries I have are much less than 100 characters, as they are transcripts of the city directory entries. I'll just need to move that from the Note field into the Desc field for that tag.

I've seen that page Tom. In fact, I installed one of the sqllite programs yesterday in anticipation of massaging the data. Guess I know what I'll be doing later today after church. :) It's supposed to be raining by Noon here anyways. Perhaps "stay in" weather to work on my genealogy. Also, sounds like I may be done with what I need to do in TMG before putting it on the shelf and working in RM7.

Later,

Robert

The note field in RM is called Note but there is not a [Note] variable in the Sentence Template Language. Rather, the note is always there in narrative reports. It's as if every sentence template ends with [Note]. Well, there is a report option not to include notes, but the option is all or nothing. The [Desc] field in RM works more like the [M] field in TMG, but RM's [Desc] field is limited to about 100 characters. Actually, it's not limited as you enter it, but it's limited if you export it via GEDCOM.

Jerry

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

Update 7.0.9.0 - 17 December 2015
Fixed: Importing GEDCOM from FTM with long fact descriptions will put the description into the fact note rather than just truncate it

The GEDCOM doesn't have to come from FTM, it will add those long descriptions to the note field with any GEDCOM import.

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

The GEDCOM doesn't have to come from FTM, it will add those long descriptions to the note field with any GEDCOM import.

Do I understand correctly that a drag-and-drop from RM to itself will move long descriptions to the note field rather than losing the descriptions?

Jerry

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

You are correct!

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

You are correct!

I like that. Relocating data is SO SUPERIOR to losing data.

#15 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

You are correct!

Actually, I'm not correct. I should have tested before posting instead of just asking.

The new update works fine for long Description fields on the GEDCOM import side, but RM's GEDCOM export still truncates long Description fields. So long Description fields are still truncated on drag and drop.

Jerry

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Did you look at the note field?

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:35 AM

Did you look at the note field?

Yes. The a long Description field is moved into the Note field on a drag and drop. But it's still truncated.

Jerry

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

Ok, now I see what you are reporting. I tested with 920 character text. The drag n drop moved the description to text as it should to notes but was truncated at the 255 character limit. So it will move description text to notes if there are 100 characters but truncate still at 255. The same results with a RootsMagic GEDCOM. I have reported this to development.  

When I look at the report of this fix for Update 7.0.9.0 - 17 December 2015

Fixed: Importing GEDCOM from FTM with long fact descriptions will put the description into the fact note rather than just truncate it

It is only saying its a GEDCOM from FTM. So I may have misunderstood what was fixed.

Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

It is only saying its a GEDCOM from FTM. So I may have misunderstood what was fixed.

Yes, I think the import from FTM is fine. Actually, any import is fine. The remaining problem is on the export side of things.

Jerry

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

The RootsMagician told me he would have to make our GEDCOM illegal in order to make it work in drag n drop. Something he has to think about. That is why it only works with other GEDCOM imports right now. 

Renee
RootsMagic