• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cajflem

cajflem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:00 AM

For the last few incremental upgrades, I have been getting an error while installing the upgrade: "An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory: MoveFile failed; code 183. Cannot create a file when that file already exists". No hint as to which file is the issue. I hate having to uninstall/delete the old installation in order to install an upgrade.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Anyone with ideas for a solution?

Thanks,

Charles A.J. Fleming

Charles Fleming
Fort Worth TX

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

I haven't had the problem, and I've also done all the incremental updates.

I have left RM5 and RM6 installed on my system (Win7-64bit), so I have flexibility when I want to work on multiple files simultaneously. Hasn't been a problem, but I do have to tell the install routine each time to leave the old versions alone.

I also exit RM7 before running the update. Did you? That could cause problems of various kinds.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:33 PM

You can rename each update to reflect the Rev level.  That way, you could install an earlier Rev level if needed.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:33 PM

You can rename each update to reflect the Rev level.  That way, you could install an earlier Rev level if needed.

I agree. So I have an archive of all of the install modules. They're not very big, so they don't use up much of my hard drive space. And I have, indeed, occasionally used an old setup module.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

Try turning off your antivirus software when you do the update. It may be conflicting. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 RMather

RMather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

I am having the exact same problem.  To install an update, I must unstall rootsmagic, clean the registry with ccleaner, download the update from the website, then install it.  Does anyone know what the problem is?

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Most likely a conflict with an antivirus or other background program. It can be difficult to identify, but I would start by going to

START - Run - msconfig and examine the STARTUP tab. There's probably quite a few programs listed - are there any listed that you have no idea what they do? Google 'em, and consider disabling them at startup.