• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

After making manual changes to the FTM-generated GEDCOM file based on output in the LST file, and using the method for correcting the media pathnames suggested earlier, I've managed to import the file with no error messages.  I do, however, have a some questions:

1.  What does RM do with user-defined tags?  For example, the FTM GEDCOM file has _MILT entries for military service information.

2.  I tried to use the FACT tag (GEDCOM 5.5.1) but it looks like RM doesn't like that tag.  Should RM have handled FACT tags?

3.  RE the pathname issue - is this considered a bug that RM will fix in the future?  Maybe in the OS X native app?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8527 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

Did you do the Import using the new RootsMagic update 7.0.9.0? There were several enhancements to the way FTM GEDCOM files import - http://forums.rootsm...update-history/

Inside RootsMagic go to List>Fact Type list and you should see any custom facts you had inside FTM. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

Just looked and I am running 7.0.8.0.  Will try to update now ...

Updated to 7.0.9.0 and went back to the original FTM GEDCOM file.  Only two problems with the import file:

1.  FTM is using what appears to be a non-standard date format for the DATE records in the media record entries (MM/DD/YY HH:MM:SS AM).  This was the great majority of the problem entries in the LST file.

2.  FTM has some odd usage for the PLAC tag, and there were two or three of these that failed.

Much better than the last try.  Thanks for the update.

Interestingly, I have also been trying to import these files into the Gramps open-source code with even more problems than I ran into with RM.  I tried exporting this tree into GEDCOM format from RM and importing it into Gramps, and that worked pretty much OK (ignoring the various non-standard user-defined tags).

#4 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

Missed one still-remaining problem, the mangled path+filename for the media files (see my 'Problem with Media Path - Import FTM GEDCOM File' post).  You showed me a kludge-around using search-and-replace, but it would be nice if that wasn't necessary.  The path+filename information is correct in the GEDCOM file, it's being mangled by RM on input.

#5 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

Does RM support the GEDCOM standard:

1 FACT
2 TYPE

or

1 EVEN
2 TYPE

Where TYPE is the value of a custom event/attribute, and any value following the EVEN/FACT tag used to further define the TYPE value.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

I  am not near my copy of RootsMagic, but Import ~may~ support both while Export uses the latter, I believe.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N