16 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

FTM 2014 exports to GEDCOM the web address for a citation to the custom _LINK tag which RM 7.0.8.0 does not recognise. You can modify the FTM GEDCOM so that RM will import the URL into the WebTag for the citation. For example,

FTM GEDCOM Output:

3 _LINK http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1861&h=11149416&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt

converted to a RM WebTag equivalent:

3 _WEBTAG
4 NAME TBD
4 URL  http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1861&h=11149416&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt
4 NOTE Imported from FTM

I used a regular expression search and replace in Notepad++:

Search:

3 (_LINK)(.+)

Replace:

3 _WEBTAG\r\n4 NAME TBD\r\n4 URL $2\r\n4 NOTE Imported from FTM

Web addresses for other things might be at a GEDCOM level other than 3. Because the Notepad++ regular expression function does not do arithmetic, one would have to revise the search and replace expressions for each different level. A simple program could handle all levels if someone wanted to write it. Wouldn't it be nice if the RootsMagician revised the import to handle FTM's _LINK tag without our having to pre-process the GEDCOM? Reminds me of RMπ (RMpi) GEDCOM Pre-Import Tweaker for RootsMagic whose code I have not looked at in over a year and don't have time now...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:50 PM

Are these URLs for citations only or are there other areas of FTM where we need to watch for this?  I am adding this in the tracking system. I would love to get a FTM file that has all the variations of links that would need to go into WebTags.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Renee, while I have FTM2014, I am not a power user. Maybe tschlarm http://forums.rootsm...57981-tschlarm/who has posted some good mappings of FTM fields to RM fields would be willing to help you with that.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 CLMartin

CLMartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

Are these URLs for citations only or are there other areas of FTM where we need to watch for this?  I am adding this in the tracking system. I would love to get a FTM file that has all the variations of links that would need to go into WebTags.

Renee,

I am not able to upload a screen shot, so I'll just let you know that the only other place that has Web Links in FTM is in the person's individual screen where you see their birth, death, burial, and all other facts and descriptions.  The Web Link is not associated with any fact at all, but rather a separate item just for that person. There is no special linking to multiple individuals.  It is just an "add on" so to speak for that person, kind of like a little source for the person but is not attached to a fact.

If you go to one of my trees on Ancestry, you will see the Web Links I have made in FTM that were synced there. Scroll way down and you will see them.

Hope this was helpful!

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:23 AM

I am not able to upload a screen shot, so I'll just let you know that the only other place that has Web Links in FTM is in the person's individual screen where you see their birth, death, burial, and all other facts and descriptions.  The Web Link is not associated with any fact at all, but rather a separate item just for that person. 

FTM does not export the Web Link to the GEDCOM 5.5 file so RootsMagic cannot do anything with it. FTM emigres must campaign with Ancestry.com to get this changed along with other missing things. 

#6 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

Other tidbits:

On the FTM Person tab:

Person Notes and Research notes both end up in RM7 Person Details/Note. The FTM privacy flag for these does not appear in the GEDCOM, but I don't the RM has privacy on their notes anyway.

Person/Media ends up in the RM7 Personal Media Album under "* General Media"

Person/Web Links are not exported in the GEDCOM.

Person/Tasks area also not exported in the GEDCOM.

Hope this helps.

#7 CLMartin

CLMartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

FTM does not export the Web Link to the GEDCOM 5.5 file so RootsMagic cannot do anything with it. FTM emigres must campaign with Ancestry.com to get this changed along with other missing things. 

Thank you Tom H:

I was just responding to Renee's query re wishing she had an FTM file showing the web links.

#8 jammer

jammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

After the latest update last week, my FTM2014 'LINK" tags were successfully loaded as WEBTAGS(verified by the WEBTAG Report), but they are not linked to anything.  How do you link the existing WEBTAGs to a person on the 'EDIT PERSON ' screen?  or point me to the docs....thanx

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

... or point me to the docs....thanx

Alt-H

F1

Webtags is in the Index Tab -or- can be queried via the Search Tab

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

After the latest update last week, my FTM2014 'LINK" tags were successfully loaded as WEBTAGS(verified by the WEBTAG Report), but they are not linked to anything.  How do you link the existing WEBTAGs to a person on the 'EDIT PERSON ' screen?  or point me to the docs....thanx

't don't see how the Webtag list report could even show Webtags that aren't linked somewhere.

Which selections did you check for the Webtag list report.?

What shows in the 1st column in the report?

Are you saying that column is blank in the report?  If so, these may be the Invisible Webtags being talked about on the forums.

The 1st column show where the Webtag is linked, and, the 2nd column shows the data entered in the Webtag.

There is a Webinar which covers using Webtags in RM.

Webinar #44, New WebTags in RootsMagic 6

http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars/

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

WebTags imported from FTM are mostly, if not always, linked to a citation. You have to drill all the way down into the Citation Editor for a citation, select the Detail Text tab (Iirc) to find the WebTag for the citation.

Yes, it is appallingly inconvenient; a huge improvement would be a roll up to the WebTag button on the Edit Person screen of all the WebTags linked to the sources and citations tagged to the person and their facts.

In the current database design, there is no way to link a single WebTag to more than one thing. Nor is there a WebTag Memorize/Paste function. I think a Citation Memorize/Paste does copy the WebTag along with the other properties of the citation to the pasted instance, resulting in duplicates that cannot be merged. There is room for improvement ;-)

#12 jammer

jammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

Got it...thanx TomH...further analysis, a single WEBTAG per person is established, additional LINKs per person facts, produce 'ghost' WEBTAGs with no links.  A lot of heavy lifting here...

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

I don't understand what you are reporting. AFAIK, there is nothing that FTM exports that RM can import as a WebTag for a person or for a fact. Only for citations. And 'ghost' WebTags? Can you post an example?

#14 jammer

jammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

-If FTM is NOT exporting citation links, can someone explain what I'm experiencing here?

GEDCOM Info: FTM2014 GEDCOM 5.5-UTF8 format; SOURCED from an OFFLINE database on my DESKTOP.

1) Exhibit A: is an EXAMPLE of the GEDCOM "INDI" citation '_LINK' production from FTM2014.  Within FTM an URL
    is associated with a citation on "NAME" and "BIRTH" facts.
2) The 1st LINK is the citation URL associated with "NAME" in FTM.
3) Second link in GEDCOM file is associated with the 'BIRTH' fact.
4) Exhibit B: is the REPORT->LIST->WEBTAG  showing these citation URLs 'associated' with a "PERSON FACT"{BIRTH}
   or NOT 'associated' by the existence of blanks in the same column location.("GHOSTs").
5) IMHO; the "GHOST" WEBTAGs 'are the result of having threee(3) GEDCOM Individual(INDI) groups with citation
   URLs associated with INDI tag "NAME".

Please enlighten me to any misconceptions.

Exhibit A:
0 @I35@ INDI
1 NAME Mary Elizabeth /Winzeler/
2 SOUR @S2@
3 _FOOT S. Miller & F. Root, Summer 1975.
2 SOUR @S18@
3 PAGE Page# 63 German Township Line item# 29 Year 1873
1 BIRT John Winzeler Homestead
2 DATE 24 JAN 1873
2 PLAC Archbold, German Twp., Fulton Co., Ohio, USA
2 SOUR @S18@
3 PAGE Page# 63 German Township Line item# 29 Year 1873
2 OBJE @M16@

Exhibit B:
Cite: Ohio, Fulton County, Probate Court - Birth Registers 1864-1884 Vol: 001
WebTag
WebTag
WebTag
WebTag
WebTag
Cite: Ohio, Fulton County, Probate Court - Birth Registers 1864-1884 Vol: 001, Adam Wendel Miller (Birth)
WebTag
Cite: Ohio, Fulton County, Probate Court - Birth Registers 1864-1884 Vol: 001, John Martin Miller (Birth)
WebTag
Cite: Ohio, Fulton County, Probate Court - Birth Registers 1864-1884 Vol: 001, Mary Elizabeth Miller (Birth)
WebTag
Cite: Ohio, Fulton County, Probate Court - Birth Registers 1864-1884 Vol: 001, Mary Elizabeth Winzeler (Birth)
WebTag

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

No misconception, jammer. Maybe just a communications failure. Those _LINKs are all for citations, nothing else, and they end up as Citation WebTags in RM as of 7.0.9.0. Previous versions ignored them. What you describe as "ghosts" are the WebTags for hidden citations that are associated with the "preferred" name on Ancestry and in FTM and which I showed how to reveal using my RMtrix utility three years ago.

#16 jammer

jammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

Thanx TomH...I agree with the communlcation failure and I'm sure it's my issue.  For example;  I read the blog entries on Dec18th with Renee, CLMartin and yourself, and become confused with CLMartin's comments @0946(& others) concerning FTM2014 Weblinks being a separate item under person and are not associated with FACTS.  Operationally; in FTM2014/Desktop, I have/can have a separate citation set for each FACT under a PERSON, and can use the same citations across multiple PERSONs.  The GEDCOM example in my previous reply illustrates it for BIRTH.  Am I reading it out of context?   Is there a difference between online and offline db GEDCOM exports?  What am I missing here? or point me in the right direction again.  I promise not to 'kick the dead horse' again.

Thank you so much for your time.

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

A FTM "Weblink" is for an Individual, not a Name or Fact or Event. It is not exported to GEDCOM 5.5 by FTM. What is exported in the _LINK tag is, afaik, solely for citations. Citations are attached to Individuals, Names, Facts/Events. The URL is not to the Individual, Name, Fact/Event; only to the source for the citation. Semantics.