• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

I am aware of the various problems with FTM-produced GEDCOM files, but this appears to be an issue on the RootsMagic side.  After I imported the GEDCOM file RM could not find any of the media files that were referenced in the GEDCOM file.  After some fiddling around I found that in the Media Gallery view (which appears to list all the missing media entries) that by going through the Properties button I could manually link to the files.  The problem that I see is that the path+filename that RM has after import is something like the following:

\/Users/me/Documents/Genealogy/media/filename.jpg

which is correct except for the leading backslash.  After "finding" this file via properties the file location is given as:

Y:\Documents\Genealogy\media\filename.jpg

a very Windows-like path+filename.  Is there some way to fix this short of manually linking to each of the 400+ media files I've got?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Try using Search>Search and Replace>Multimedia filenames to change what is currently there to the path that is needed - up to where they are identical.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

Worked like a charm - thanks.  Looks like all the other problems I'm running into are because of errors in FTM's GEDCOM output formats, like putting a text comment on a DEAT line followed by one or more CONC lines.  I'm not a GEDCOM expert, but I don't think that's kosher.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

I'm not a GEDCOM expert either, but I can tell you we have found several things in the FTM GEDCOM not kosher.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 alfranco918

alfranco918

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

Today, I paid the $20 to transfer to RootsMagic from FTM, to see if it will do.  I ran into this exact problem.  This post, and the response by Renee Zamora, helped and I was able to successfully attach all of the files that were in my FTM.  Thank you both!

Regards,

Albert M. Franco
alfranco918