13 replies to this topic

#1 mmurosky

mmurosky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

Hello,

My apologies if this topic is addressed already and I missed it. I am one of the FTM users impacted by Ancestry's decision to discontinue desktop software. My FTM file is 15 years of research. My FTM workflow was to assign sources to individuals and facts. I also have a lot of media in my FTM tree. Some media items are linked to source citations and other media items are linked to people. 

Is there a guide to converting from FTM 2014 to RootsMagic? Is there an area with any FAQ for individuals like myself that are evaluating options?

Some examples of how my data is assembled in FTM are shown in the links below. Will this get unraveled if I attempt to shift to RootsMagic? Will I need to do a lot of manual fixing?

http://murosky-ances...creenshots.html

Thank you!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

There is a tip/hint thread started by another FTM émigré in these forums. Because of the frequent use of the FTM abbreviation, it is possible to find most posts concerning migration with this Google search "ftm site:forums.rootsmagic.com", sans quotes. The forums search tool wants more than three characters so it cannot find FTM.

An issue for media that will be an initial disappointment is the apparent loss of the profile picture. On the Facebook group, the RootsMagician has stated that he is working on interpreting FTM's unusual GEDCOM structure so that the picture set as the profile photo in FTM will become the Primary one for that person in RM.

Another is that sources attached to the FTM preferred Name are invisible in normal usage in RM and, currently, can only be made visible by using an outboard SQLite script.

Your screenshots on your smart looking blog are good references. I suggest you download the free version of RootsMagic and import your database so you can compare the two for the things that are important to you.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 mmurosky

mmurosky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

Hi Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will search for the other threads.

I am just a bit surprised given how many people are all searching for these answers their isn't a sticky or something on this topic. 

#4 lnilsson193

lnilsson193

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:20 AM

I also have a problem so I need help Fm 2014 to RootsMagic 7

Exports from ftm 2014 by gedcom file size 103 MB import it RootsMagic7 but after people 6440
Then comes a message that says

There is more data on another disk. Insert the disk with
C:\RootsMagic7 \Nilsson Family tree 2014-_2015-12-17 alla personer.G00

There is only one file of this GEDCOM

But I split files into smaller GEDCOM files as it works, I just want to have a file to avoid any broken links

What am I doing wrong
Hälsningar
lnilsson193

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

Just a guess, but, did you choose to export the gedcom as a Gedcom 5.5 in FTM?   That is a message we used to get with older gedcom versions.

Russ Worthington has added several videos to his blog.  In the video for Living people, he shows the choices to make when exporting from FTM 2014 to import into RootsMagic.  All the videos and other blog posts would be useful.

http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/

#6 CLMartin

CLMartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

To: Inillson193

I also am a refugee from FTM 2014. You can only use gedcom for 2014, so you've done that right. I used a small portion of my tree to gedcom for practicing purposes and did not have the problem you are discussing. I heard someone else suggest compacting your FTM file before making your gedcom.  Perhaps this will work if it compacts it a good percentage.  Give it a try!  Good luck.

For your reference (when and if you get your tree working), I am having other problems with converting to RootsMagic, i.e.:

(1) dates and descriptions do not transfer on media;

(2) description in the Event fields are truncated to 67 characters (including spaces);

(3) the Name field does not connect a source, and won't; and

(4) where the gedcom puts sources into RootsMagic is totally unacceptable, especially since the Web Address does not transfer.

I have another thread at the moment requesting help on these issues.

Gotta send a lot of L-O-V-E Ancestry's way!!!

#7 lnilsson193

lnilsson193

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

I use the GEDCOM 5.5 for that is the only option FTM allows to use
I have compaq file before I make a GEDCOM

1. GEDCOM file with UTF8 receive the same error still stops at 6440 indevider

2. GEDCOM file with the ASCII File works with imports and all persons listed but the letters A, A. Ó. is not included in the RM

3. GEDCOM file to AISO File stops at 6440 individuals also

There is no problem when I export to Legasys 8. With the same file

So where can the problem be in the Rm or when the FTM creates gedcom

Hälsningar
lnilsson193

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:51 AM

I suggest that you contact RootsMagic Tech Support and request instruction on submitting your problem with your large UTF8 GEDCOM file. Possibly related is a longstanding problem of sorting certain accented characters which has been attributed to a bug in the collation sequence used to compare, sort, index Unicode strings. The collation sequence is by a third party and we have never heard that the bug was squashed - it still gives rise to some display order issues.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Kbochenek

Kbochenek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

Trully a disappointment when after devoting years to FamilyTreeMaker not to mention countless hours fo provide what we felt was the best geneology information to younger generations that we are abandoned by the company and essantially left out to dry.  Then comes RootsMagic with a solution and even a discount to former FamilyTreeMaker devotees saying that we can import the FTM files into RM.  Only after purchasing does one find out that it only pertains to 2006 or earlier versions.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?????  How many devotees are using a 10 year old version of the software?????   Are all geneology software companies cut out of the same mold ????

If anyone on this blog know of a company that truly cares about their customers, not planning to cut them loose at some time in the future, please message me.

As a businessman, I cannot understand why in the world RM wouldn't dedicate whatever it takes in staff to attract the multitude of FTM users rather than bait and switch, p*ssing them off.

I personally will sit and wait to see if another software company buys out FamilyTreeMaker and allows to continue with the hours of data that we have invested in their original software.  As for RootsMagic, I will consider the $35 a lesson and advise all other FTM members to steer clear of this deceitful product.. I shoud hope that all other FTM users that read this will do the same.

#10 ValSG

ValSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:08 PM

Kbochenek,

RM only has back to the 2006 as straight import because of Ancestry.  They, Ancestry, took over the FamilyTreeMaker and changed it, but didn't share out to other software vendors what was needed for them to keep that direct import.  This is not Rootsmagic's fault.  It is Ancestry's fault.  Legacy and Rootsmagic work together, they can direct import each others.  Ancestry didn't play marbles with them.  Ancestry picked up the bag and took it home.

Much like Microsoft not sharing their secrets to others.  FamilyTreeMaker became completely proprietary when Ancestry took it and now they have dropped it.  Bruce is doing what he can, as he can, without doing anything illegal, of which to try and figure out how to make a direct import with the newer versions, without Ancestry sharing, would be just that.  Read the warning that comes with the software.

With all that said.  Bruce has done a good job with the short notice that he had, and considering we ALL already had the strain of approaching holiday, this must have knocked Bruce and other vendors sideways along with all of us FTM users.  The pressure was now on for them to do the best they could for the transport on such notice, and remember, Bruce and other vendor "magicians" have their own families and the holiday too.

Ancestry has been the scrooge and they now put out the bah humbugs along with it, by not giving notice that this was coming up.  They, Ancestry, before this lock down, should have shared out the parts of the code that is needed for other vendors to work on direct imports, should have cared about their software users.  But, Ancestry didn't do that.  Ancestry didn't care about their software users.  Never have really, as proven by the stunt they pulled.  Ancestry, did what Ancestry seems to do best.  Lock things down and then pull the rug out from everyone.

Merry Christmas to Bruce and team and his & his team's familes.  Thanking them for their patience and enduring this upheaval along with all the rest of us FTM users.  A rock to cling to in the turmoil of this holiday season, while we wait for the turbulence to settle and as we, FTM users, can get our feet back on the ground, get our bearings and move forward.

My many thanks to Rootsmagic and all involved.

Merry Christmas to all, and may this be a sign that the New Year will be a bright and good one, that there will be good to come out of all this bad upheaval.

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Every second Bruce uses to try and accommodate RM"s gedcom import for Family Tree Maker users because of Family Tree Maker's non -conforming gedcom export or Ancestry's not releasing what is needed for other programs to construct a direct import of FTM's databases is a second he has to take away from the time he can spend on the rewrite of RootsMagic.

So, I suppose, it could be argued that he is penalizing RootsMagic's present customers to accommodate another company's customers who would not he changing if the other company hadn't let them down.

I am not saying Bruce shouldn't spend that time for new customers which, hopefully, become long time customers.

But, Family Tree Maker users should put the blame where it belongs, Ancestry, not RootsMagic or any other program.

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

Kbochenek,

Your rage at RootsMagic is unjustified, ill informed, inflamed and borderline slandering. The features list for RootsMagic 7 states:
" Direct Family Tree Maker import (version 16 and earlier) *"
Nothing deceitful there. And RootsMagic quickly produced video and print guidelines showing how to import from pre-2006 FTM (direct) and post-2006 versions (GEDCOM).

Moreover, after failing to do the most basic research, you did not have to pay $35 to find out. The free RootsMagic Essentials software functions on import exactly the same as the full version, as shown on their website in the comparative features list.

So how is it that RootsMagic deceived you?

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

As a businessman, I cannot understand why in the world RM wouldn't dedicate whatever it takes in staff to attract the multitude of FTM users rather than bait and switch, p*ssing them off.

As a businessman I am sure you have now realized that you have invested many years of research to a company with little or no regard for the single recognized genealogy standard of GEDCOM to enable transfer of data, bad mistake.

I also notice that if you had taken time to embrace what FTM called Place Details these are not exported in any unique way to GEDCOM, so lost.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

Here's a link to all the videos and magic guides we have created to help FTM user understand the process of importing into RootsMagic.

http://rootsmagic.com/FTM/Videos/

Renee
RootsMagic