Photo

Facts: Can you batch move text used in fields?

facts descriptions places

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neeksmith

neeksmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

Hi you all. I'm a eons long FTM user who is attempting to make the switch to RM. I've been playing around with RM for the last week or so and I'm sad that I didn't make the switch earlier. What in the world was I thinking? LOL

Anyway, in FTM, there is a way to move text in the fields for facts. For example, let's say you entered text in the description field but it really should be in the place field. Is there a way to do this in RM? I've got description fields showing up in the place field that I need moved.  

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

There isn't anything inside RootsMagic that will do that.

I'm not sure if TomH has a SQLite script for that or not.  He's usually on here everyday and should respond. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

Anyway, in FTM, there is a way to move text in the fields for facts. For example, let's say you entered text in the description field but it really should be in the place field. Is there a way to do this in RM? I've got description fields showing up in the place field that I need moved.  

That is quite a handy and simple little routine in FTM, it's a need genealogists often come across and would not be difficult to impliment.

I know I have highlighted this before using FTM as an example so I believe it should be in the tracking system RM maintain.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

Does FTM have a "batch move text" from Description to Place? If so, fix it in FTM. My guess is that it does not.

You can cut and paste in the RootsMagic Edit Person screen from Description to Place, one at a time. You can expedite this by using Search > Find Anywhere to look for the text string you want to move, click on the hyperlink to open the Edit Person screen and make the changes. Keep the new Place text in the clipboard to save repeated copying. Use Ctrl-A, Delete in the Description field to wipe it.

Yes, there is a way to do this with SQLite scripting but it is not trivial. And it would require that the data is very much bounded by distinctive rules so that there will be an acceptably low number of exceptions (false positives or negatives).

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:14 AM

Does FTM have a "batch move text" from Description to Place? If so, fix it in FTM. My guess is that it does not.

I don't believe so , I was referring to the one click move rather than the slightly more long winded copy and paste.

The other thing helpful with FTM in this regard is the search within Place List which sadly RM still lacks.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#6 CLMartin

CLMartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:51 AM

There is a way to do switch the place and description fields.

Go to any person that you know you have this problem and open up their screen.

Pick the problem fact and right click on it

A drop down list appears. Choose "Fact Data Options."

It will ask you if you want to back up your tree first. (Of course pick yes or no.)

A new popup screen appears. You will see the person you highlighted with the place and description.

At the top of the popup, pick "All individuals."

At the right side, "Uncheck All." 

Now go through the list and checkmark all the people you have a problem with.

They are easy to spot because you know you are looking for a description that has a place name.

Once you have checkmarked all the people, go to the bottom of the popup and checkmark "Move data in the selected facts."

By default it picks "From place to description."

Hit the down arrow and pick "From description to place."

When you are certain this is correct, hit OK.

I've used this feature many, many times. As you can see, you can also select a fact to be chanted to a different fact or select a fact to be private or not private.

Walla Walla Bing Bang, you are done!

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:10 AM

There is a way to do switch the place and description fields.

Thank you, I didn't know about that and it was also in FTM2012.

A simple utility to help clean data and overcome those bad data entry habits we have all come across time and time again.

ftmfactbatch.png

Root

#8 CLMartin

CLMartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

You're welcome!

Like I said, I find I use this feature time and time again.  We get to know our trees so well, that even with thousands and thousands of people, we can spot something peculiar. When I find that I mistakenly picked a field like Adoption and it should have been Graduation (well that's a stretch, but you get my drift), instead of making a new Graduation field and cutting and pasting the info to it and deleting the Adoption, it is so fast to just go into the Adoption and change it to Graduation!  Great feature!

Did you know that this same feature is in Manage Facts? Go into Manage Facts. Highlight Adoption. Hit Data Options. All Individuals will show you everyone who was adopted. Or choose Immigration and see everyone who Immigrated, etc.  It's just a quick way to see some information that you don't need changed, but want to look up without making a report. You can't print a report from here, but it is nice to use if you are just looking for a particular thing.

Sure hope that have this type of feature in RootsMagic!!

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

Sure hope that have this type of feature in RootsMagic!!

The need is a very old one and presently this would take a lot longer in Rootsmagic and all that time editing information could be better used on new research.

I sure hope the Rootsmagician is in creative and listening mood when he reads these posts.

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: facts, descriptions, places