5 replies to this topic

#1 glo

glo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:49 AM

Hello,

I'm a new user, I've been "playing" with RM for a few days and watched almost all webinars and read tips and such. 

I like that it's very powerful and customizable.

I also apologize in advance for spelling and grammar errors, I'm not a native english speaker.

I find myself having a bug with the

Help>Contents

window.

I open it, it appears, I can navigate thru the topics immediately if I don't click on the other titles, but as soon as I click on search or index or content then this happens and nothing else appears. I have to close the window, reopen it and try to navigate to the topic I want immediately. This happens every time.

Schermata_2015_12_16_alle_16_59_56.jpg

(btw, I've tried searching for how to insert an image on the forum but couldn't find, I hope I'm not breaking rules linking like this... Clicking on it will open it)

Another thing, which I think is enormously important and that I've notice has been raised for a few years already and hasn't been fixed is the problem with geocoding.

Talking for a moment about the fact that standardized places are totally wrong so I'll never be able to use them, and maybe this is related to the geocoding part.

I am european, 100% of my research is I believe not going to go further than 200km from my house.

we use: Town or City/Province/Region/Country (as in, european state)

but RM tries to standardize each of my places to Town or City/Region/Country

This is not acceptable, there may be more than 1 town or city with the same or similar name in one region, but in different provinces. To me the level of a province is much more important than the region.

But nevermind, I can live with that, just need to keep the places written as I want.

Geocoding on the other hand, just doesn't work.

I click on geocode, it asks me if I want to search for them, I say yes and accept the suggestions.

When i go back on the list, click edit on one place, the geocode strings are in red and also the online map doesn't work.

So then I read here that this function doesn't work for those using it with a system different from the us-standard of period and comma (that we, and many others, use inverted from the us).

This seems pretty important to me, that an entire part doesn't work.

Is it being worked on? will we have a fix soon? I've seen this has been reported for a long time, but I believe it's a very important and useful part of rm, that I would love to use.

Thank you!

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

You can enter your place names in any way you wish, and RM will not change them. But you may want to turn off County Check to avoid being nagged by all the warning messages about your place names not being standard.

I agree that that the standard for place names is totally wrong, and that geocoding doesn't work very well - at least in part because the standard for place names is so wrong. But I would contend that this problem exists not just for place names outside the USA, but also for place names inside the USA. So the best approach for many users, even inside the USA, is just to turn County Check off.

I was about to say that County Check is the only part of RM that really tries to enforce the place name standard, but that is not quite true. If you use RM to pass data into the FSFT Website, RM will pass a standardized place name to FSFT. This is a recent change to RM that was caused by some recent changes at the FSFT Web site. I have very little experience with what RM does to standardize place names outside the USA when passing such place names to FSFT.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

The Help window is not stable on the Mac. It's a standalone Help library that is Windows based and doesn't translate well even with the wrapper over the RootsMagic program. This will be resolved when we have the native Mac version of RootsMagic.

Can you check on your Mac if you can change some type of regional or language setting so Mapping will work? That is how users with International versions of Windows get around it. I am just suspecting the Mac might do the same thing. So when you really need to use that feature you can change the settings. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 glo

glo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

Thank you both.

Yes I intend to keep the place names as I entered them, I just thought it was weird that a standardizing feature would have created a messy list, not a huge issue anyway.

The Help window is not stable on the Mac. It's a standalone Help library that is Windows based and doesn't translate well even with the wrapper over the RootsMagic program. This will be resolved when we have the native Mac version of RootsMagic.

Thanks for confirming the behavior of that window, I thought that maybe I had something going on. So I'll just have to wait for the native Mac version, I thought that this was the mac version but I'm guessing you mean we'll have an actual app from the app store or anyway an app-like version. Great, can't wait.

Can you check on your Mac if you can change some type of regional or language setting so Mapping will work? That is how users with International versions of Windows get around it. I am just suspecting the Mac might do the same thing. So when you really need to use that feature you can change the settings. 

Yes, thanks I just tried that. I put English as primary language, and although it warned me that I'd probably have to restart the Mac to have all programs/apps work with the new primary language, I tried RM anyway and the geocoding wasn't red anymore.

The online map opens and goes to the area where it should. I don't understand why it doesn't pin me though (shouldn't it do that? I may be wrong here), I have to zoom out and see where the place actually is (the level of zoom is such that the name of the place isn't shown) and then zoom in again. I wonder if I accidentally turned some setting off, I'm not familiar with bing maps.

On that note, is it possible to change the maps RM points to? google maps perhaps? I have no idea if what I'm asking is even possible, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thank you for your help.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

RootsMagic only has a license to use Bing Maps within the program.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 glo

glo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:11 AM

Ah I suspected it could be something about licensing, thank you anyway for clarifying. And for replying so quickly.