4 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

Please confirm to all of us who fear that Ancestry.com is absorbing everything genealogical that you will not sell out RM to this monster.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:45 PM

I really, really doubt the RootsMagician would ever sell RootsMagic out to Ancestry or anyone else. He loss Family Origins selling to Parson who was bought out by Ancestry. They killed the program and that is how RootsMagic was born. He's totally understands what happens when you let control of a program out of your hands.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3263 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

I really, really doubt the RootsMagician would ever sell RootsMagic out to Ancestry or anyone else. He loss Family Origins selling to Parson who was bought out by Ancestry. They killed the program and that is how RootsMagic was born. He's totally understands what happens when you let control of a program out of your hands.

http://formalsoft.com/newsltr.htm

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:12 AM

Please confirm to all of us who fear that Ancestry.com is absorbing everything genealogical that you will not sell out RM to this monster.

I would have thought all (small?) companies risk failure of some sort including being absorbed by 'the giants' The biggest protection individual users like us have is 'transferable data'. If we don't like the way a company or programme is going we can pick up our data and take it with us! That's why 'clean' gedcom output  plus local (rather than just online) storage is so important!!

Bob

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

... local (rather than just online) storage is so important!!

Bob

I've ben using and teaching computers and software since the early 1980's and cannot fathom (well, actually, I think I can) why those huge corporations expect me to be satisfied with storing all of my data in the cloud. Oh, yeah, they want to CONTROL (use and sell !!) my data, and to trust them to keep it secure. Oh, jeepers NO!! I will maintain and secure my data locally, thank you very much !!!