#1 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Rene and RootsMagician,

Is there a way you can add Genesmarts to the Mac Bundle?  I have a registration key (V2) from back in the day and man I miss that program.

For those who do not know what Genesmarts is, it gives you places to check for additional information on your ancestors.  Here's some of the good information it suggests and it even tells you where to go get it.  It's a one button thing as it is a tool on your RM at the top.

For me the marriage between the two programs makes RM the most powerful research tool out there.

Allen

----

1. Cumberland North Carolina Tax List

Researching the Cumberland North Carolina Tax List makes sense because he was born in 1758 in Cumberland, North Carolina, United States and he was married in 1797 in Randolph, North Carolina, United States.

Some background on James McDonald [337]: He was born on 21-AUG-1758 in Cumberland, North Carolina, United States, and he died on 12-JAN-1848 in Morgan, Tennessee, United States. He married Sarah Cox [338] on 20-JUL-1797 in Randolph, North Carolina, United States, and had the following children: Elihu [1061] (ABT. 1799), George [1080] (1801), Allen [904] (1803), Amos [1081] (1808), Emilia [4587] (ABT. 1810), James [256] (1815), Nancy [340] (1818), Samuel [339] (1820), Sterling [1082] (1823), John [1083] (1827), and Sarah [341] (1827).

Here is a recap of some of the people and places that might be involved in searching a Tax List

State: North Carolina County: Cumberland Person: McDonald, James

Alt Spellings: MACDONALD, MCDONNALD, MCDONOLD, and MCDONLD

Spouse(s): Sarah Cox [338] Inlaws:

Parents: Brothers:

This record can be researched at the following location:

1)SaltLakeCity UT
This information might be found on 1 Microfilm at the Family History Library. The volumes for these are:

MFRoll:18682#2 Title:Listoftaxables1777-1793
The internal GenSmarts inventory id for this record set is 11081.

2. Morgan Tennessee County Land Transactions

Researching the Morgan Tennessee County Land Transactions makes sense because his child, Sarah McDonald [341], was born in 1827 in New River, Scott, Tennessee, United States and he died in 1848 in Morgan, Tennessee, United States.

NOTE: The city NEW RIVER related to this suggestion may is ambigous - a place by this name is known to exist in other counties in this state (according to govenment sources). Counties known to contain a place by this name: ANDERSON.

Some background on James McDonald [337]: He was born on 21-AUG-1758 in Cumberland, North Carolina, United States, and he died on 12-JAN-1848 in Morgan, Tennessee, United States. He married Sarah Cox [338] on 20-JUL-1797 in Randolph, North Carolina, United States, and had the following children: Elihu [1061] (ABT. 1799), George [1080] (1801), Allen [904] (1803), Amos [1081] (1808), Emilia [4587] (ABT. 1810), James [256] (1815), Nancy [340] (1818), Samuel [339] (1820), Sterling [1082] (1823), John [1083] (1827), and Sarah [341] (1827).

Here is a recap of some of the people and places that might be involved in searching a County Land Transactions

State: Tennessee County: Morgan
Person: McDonald, James

1) Independence MO

This information might be found on 1 Book at the Mid-Continent Library (moving May, 2008). The volumes for these are:

CallNo:976.874B155 Title:MorganCO,Tennessee,landsurveybooks The internal GenSmarts inventory id for this record set is 20435. 

3. Morgan Tennessee Tax List

Researching the Morgan Tennessee Tax List makes sense because his child, Sarah McDonald [341], was born in 1827 in New River, Scott, Tennessee, United States and he died in 1848 in Morgan, Tennessee, United States.

NOTE: The city NEW RIVER related to this suggestion may is ambigous - a place by this name is known to exist in other counties in this state (according to govenment sources). Counties known to contain a place by this name: ANDERSON.

Here is a recap of some of the people and places that might be involved in searching a Tax List

State: Tennessee County: Morgan

Person: McDonald, James

1)SaltLakeCity UT
This information might be found on 1 Book at the Family History Library. The volumes for these are:

CallNo:976.874R4m Title:MorganCounty,Tennessee,taxlists:year1836,1848,1874,1876 The internal GenSmarts inventory id for this record set is 18677. 

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:16 PM

GenSmarts is sold separately in the RootsMagic store http://www.rootsmagic.com/Store/

Does it not run with CrossOver ?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

RootsMagic doesn't offer discounts on GenSmart in our bundles because we are just a reseller. Any Mac version of GenSmarts would have to come from GenSmarts. Their website does say it will run using an emulator on the Mac.

GenSmarts is currently only on version 2 so if that is the version you have then that's their latest.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:04 AM

It will run standalone under crossover (wine bottle is what the crossover container is) you have to have a genesmarts bottle and a roots magic bottle.  What would be great is if there was one bottle with both roots magic and genesmarts together that way it will work integrated with one click just like it does under windows.

Allen

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

That would be nice but I think GenSmarts would need to have the same wrapper we have for RootsMagic or a native Mac version for us to attempt to work together. I would recommend you send this request to GenSmarts too at: support@gensmarts.com

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:15 AM

Renee,

I'm very familiar with the mechanics of Crossover... you would have to get with Genesmarts and roll an install with RootsMagic / Genesmarts together... it would take some collaboration between the two of you.  It would be an amazing accomplishment.

Allen

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

I am confirming this enhancement request is in our tracking system. Since we are talking two separate companies users need to let GenSmarts know they are interested in them working with CrossOver to make the same type of wrapper RootsMagic is using. They would need to bare the cost of translating their program to run on the Mac. Not every Windows program can be translated, it all depends on what libraries they are using, Legacy Family Tree is a prime example. If GenSmarts can do that then we could look at working with them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

For it to work properly it would have to be in the same distribution install as Rootsmagic.  I can make a separate and workable bottle for genesmarts and rootsmagic, but for it to work you would have to have an install in the same wine bottle for both programs.  Then the Genesmarts button would work and it would make RM much more powerful for the MAC users.

Of course both programs run as advertised under Parallels and I can't live without Genesmarts it has found so many things I have overlooked.

Allen

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:20 AM

Yes, I am not knowledgeable about this process at all, but I have added all your information for development to look at.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

Renee,

I'm very familiar with the mechanics of Crossover... you would have to get with Genesmarts and roll an install with RootsMagic / Genesmarts together... it would take some collaboration between the two of you.  It would be an amazing accomplishment.

Allen

Yes, this!!!!

#11 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:32 AM

If you have Crossover, the first step is to choose to install Gensmarts in the same 'Bottle' as RootsMagic.

Gensmarts 2 is supposed to work in Crossover, but haven't tried personally as I don't use that software. - https://www.codeweav...ver/gensmarts-2

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#12 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:33 PM

Very interested in this discussion!

#13 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

Does anyone know if GenSmarts is a 32 or 64-bit app?

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:35 PM

32-bit is what's installed on my 64-bit Windows computer. It is a Windows only program.

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:08 PM

32-bit is what's installed on my 64-bit Windows computer. It is a Windows only program.

Thanks, yes I know it's Windows only. But now I'm wondering if I had an emulator or something to run it if could I do that through Catalina or only through Mojave.