82 replies to this topic

#81 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

If I was starting with a new program, I would create a new database in the new program and enter people from scratch in the new program.

That would be a good way to learn the new program and experiment with how I want to enter data in the new program.

Then I would create another new database to use as a main database to enter my 253 people from scratch.

Even if I decided to clean up the database I imported from another program, I would know what I wanted to do to clean it up.

#82 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

As someone still at a basic stage in their research (I have 253 people on my tree), I'm trying to decide if it would be easier for me to manually enter things into RM6 or clean up the import I did. It looks rather messy as it is, and since my tree is small I'm somewhat inclined to think it'd be easier to start from scratch. That and since I've been doing research casually for years, it'd give me the chance to look things over as I enter it and clean things up maybe (somewhat inspired by the geneaology do-over I've read about). But part of me wonders if I'm jumping the gun so to speak, and potentially make things harder for myself than need be. So just watned to see if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Because you posted in a FTM topic, I assume you must have FTM. If it is a version that supports TreeSync and download of source media from Ancestry.com then I would suggest you stick with it for the year remaining in the life of TreeSync. Use your Ancestry subscription to do research and build your tree, synced with FTM. Play around with RootsMagic as well so that you get familiar with it and how things come across from FTM to build your confidence for when it is time for you to cutover.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#83 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

I am closing this long thread. We just released 7.0.10.0 that will make some of this discussion obsolete. 

You can continue discussions still open on this thread - http://forums.rootsm...4-ftm-rm-70100/

Renee
RootsMagic