82 replies to this topic

#61 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

See also my note in this thread on 17 Dec 2015 10:45pm for fact fields that are dropped when using the GEDCOM export suggested by the videos posted by RM (gedcom / other export) @

http://www.rootsmagic.com/ftm/Videos/

Link to referenced message: http://forums.rootsm...ge-2#entry75922

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#62 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

I just plugged in all the default facts in FTM and converted to RM7. Here's what I found:

Given name, surname and sex go to the proper fields in RM7.

A second Name field goes to RM7 Alt Name.

FTM Address/Phone/Email are put in the Primary Address field on the address tab in RM7

FTM Bat Mitzvah goes to Bas Mitzvah in RM7 (in GEDCOM this way)

Also Known As goes to RM7 Alt Name

Circumcision is dropped (_CIRC in GEDCOM)

Confirmation (LDS) - Description in the date field in RM7

Cause of Death moved to RM7 Death description field

Degree dropped (_DEG in GEDCOM)

Divorce description dropped

Elected dropped (_ELEC in GEDCOM)

Employment dropped (_EMPLOY in GEDCOM)

Excommunication dropped (_EXCM in GEDCOM)

Funeral dropped (_FUN in GEDCOM)

Initatory (LDS) dropped (_INIT in GEDCOM)

Medical Condition seems to go to Person Notes. Seemed to take 1st word skip the rest add a ':' then append the description.

Mission (LDS) dropped (_MISN in GEDCOM)

Military Serial Number dropped (_MILTID in GEDCOM)

Ordinance dropped (_ORDI in GEDCOM)

Physical Description goes to RM7 Description

Height dropped (_HEIG in GEDCOM)

Weight dropped (_WEIG in GEDCOM)

Namesake dropped (_NAMS in GEDCOM)

Social Security Number goes to RM7 SSN

Destination dropped (_NAMS in GEDCOM)

Origin dropped (_ORIG in GEDCOM)

Separation dropped (_SEPR in GEDCOM)

Relationship ID dropped (REFN in GEDCOM)

Person Id goes to RM7 Ref #

Ancestral File Number goes to RM7 AFN

All the other default fields come across as expected. In FTM you can create custom facts so those may or may not make it.

The _* tag items in GEDCOM are vendor defined (per GEDCOM specification) so I guess it's not surprising that RM7 doesn't bring them all in. The good side of this is that most of these are lesser used and they all make it out of FTM and into the GEDCOM file. If RM wants to they can read them in.

I can't believe how many vendor defined tags FTM uses for events / facts that GEDCOM actually has a tag defined for already.  And why they don't use the EVEN tag for the others like they're supposed to.  Ancestry sure played fast and loose with the GEDCOM spec.

I'll look to see how much of that stuff we can bring in and put it where it is supposed to go.

- Bruce

RootsMagician

#63 stukawife

stukawife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

Well.  Being a FTM refugee sucks.  My pictures/media did not come over when I opened my FTM file. All of these helps and hints mean nothing, are far too complication to understand so of no use to me...so all I can say is good luck, I should not have jumped to spend the $25 and now my research is at a total standstill. 

#64 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

I can't believe how many vendor defined tags FTM uses for events / facts that GEDCOM actually has a tag defined for already.  And why they don't use the EVEN tag for the others like they're supposed to.  Ancestry sure played fast and loose with the GEDCOM spec.

I'll look to see how much of that stuff we can bring in and put it where it is supposed to go.

- Bruce

If you need the gedcom file, let me know.

#65 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

Well.  Being a FTM refugee sucks.  My pictures/media did not come over when I opened my FTM file. All of these helps and hints mean nothing, are far too complication to understand so of no use to me...so all I can say is good luck, I should not have jumped to spend the $25 and now my research is at a total standstill. 

What version of FTM were you trying to import from?

Renee
RootsMagic

#66 tschlarm

tschlarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

We'll help if we can, but there's not really much in you message to go on. What version of FTM are you using? Did you following the instruction in the RM video about exporting to gedcom? 

I agree, there's lots in the thread that technical, but we are all just trying different things and different ways to get our information out of an end-of-life product. Then we post what we know in hopes the tech folks at RM can help us transfer as much of our information as possible. 

I started this thread a while ago just to let everyone know what might be lost when they transfer to RM7. Happily, others chimed in and provided other ideas to improve the process or what ways provide more or less info in the export.

You came into this at a pretty early stage (Ancestry only announced the EOL in the last couple of weeks). RM is making changes to improve their import (as are other software vendors), but they need input and examples from the community on what FTM is generating so they can figure things out.

We are all just trying to figure out the most complete export. From there RM can provide better instructions to the FTM community on transferring their data.

Once we have figured it out, then the import process will get smoother and RM can provide better recommendations. You might be better off to keep using FTM for a while and check-in on RM from time to time for updated guidance on transferring data, that way your research can continue. Who knows, FTM may improve their gedcom support, but RM will most likely improve their import for FTM gedcom in the coming months.

Hope this helps.

#67 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

- Bruce

It's the eve of a holiday period and I'm temporarily breaking my self imposed forum sabbatical to defend Rootsmagic on this issue. Look at my previous posts and you will see I would be the first to level criticism if criticism was due but this is an Ancestry problem and not a Rootsmagic one.

As Bruce has stated FTM have used many NON STANDARD Gedcom tags for STANDARD Gedcom events and where they have incorporated custom events they have not used the EVEN tag. So in short this is not the fault of Rootsmagic, FTM is simply exporting to Gedcom in a foreign language, so to speak, maybe Klingon. This was probably a proprietary decision on their part or just a simple disregard for any Gedcom standard.

My advice to new FTM refugees would be to play with Rootsmagic and get familiar, but do not start entering wild amounts of data. Instead give Bruce some time to write a translation for these various NON STANDARD tags and then import your FTM data and start building, you will be much more happy in the long run.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#68 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

If you need the gedcom file, let me know.

I've seen so many files right now I've lost track if we got yours or not. Can you open a support ticket Attn: Renee and send it to me if not. I just want to make sure we have them all. Bruce has requested some too, so if he or I have it that's great.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#69 terjekj

terjekj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

I've seen so many files right now I've lost track if we got yours or not. Can you open a support ticket Attn: Renee and send it to me if not. I just want to make sure we have them all. Bruce has requested some too, so if he or I have it that's great.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

I imported gedcom from FTM2014, but did not find 'Death Date', nor 'Burial Date' in Roots Magic7, as my examples of important facts missing .

#70 jammer

jammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

Enhancement request:    Add a standard fact "FUNERAL" with Date, Place, Description.  

Basis: Several of my ancestors, following the death of their spouse, have lived their remaining years

under the loving care of their out-of-state family.  Upon their death, the funeral was held close the family’s location,

followed with interment(burial) back in the state where their spouse was buried.  Both facts have different dates, and

places, and description could identify officiating person.

I believe this is very relevant for today families and future generations.

Comments are welcome.

Thank you for your consideration.

#71 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:35 AM

A funeral is commonly defined as a ceremony or service held shortly after a person’s death, and usually includes the person’s burial or cremation. I think what you are describing is more correctly defined as a "Memorial Service", which is a ceremony for someone who has died and which generally takes place after the body has been buried or cremated (possibly at a different location). Memorial services can take place any time after the death, often from a week to a year after.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#72 fitz

fitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

If it were a Funeral Mass or something like that, it would take place before the burial and therefore could be on a different date if body was to be buried in a different state.  I had never thought of this before but I always type up the obituary and put that in so I actually have all the information.

#73 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

I imported gedcom from FTM2014, but did not find 'Death Date', nor 'Burial Date' in Roots Magic7, as my examples of important facts missing .

Where these custom facts?  The death date and burial date should be part of the Death and Burial facts in RootsMagic.

Renee
RootsMagic

#74 tmcorcoran

tmcorcoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

Hi, I’m another FTM refugee looking for a new home, with more than 25 years of data and 8000 people in my tree.  I purchased RootsMagic because it has been highly recommended and have used it for several days and like a lot of what I see.  But here is an issue which I haven’t seen mentioned so far unless I am looking in the wrong place.  FTM has a source for the NAME field which is being lost in the conversion because RootsMagic apparently does not have a source for the NAME field. I use this to show my proof that the person is really my 2nd great grandmother (or whatever). by citing the facts that connect the person to the next person closer to me.  Kind of like a source for the relationship.

RootsMagic does have a source for the PERSON field but FTM does not have that. If I had started 25 years ago this is where I would have put this information.

This is a deal breaker for me if I can't get it figured out because I can’t lose this data, and I don’t want to manually reenter the sources for 8000 people. 

Is there any way that RootsMagic is planning to either (1) add a source for the Name field, or else (2) when importing a Gedcom file, place NAME sources into the PERSON source field? 

I have looked at the Gedcom file and was able to fix this manually for a very small file.  After the 1 NAME record, all the sources for the name are then given on 2 SOUR records.  If I edit the Gedcom file manually and change all these 2 SOUR records to 1 SOUR, RootsMagic imports them right into the Person source field, which is just what I want.  Unfortunately I can’t use a global replace because then every source for every field would become a person source.  So I would have to manually change more than 8000 records in my Gedcom file, again not a practical solution.  Anyone else struggling with this issue?

#75 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:25 AM

tmcorcoran, See Citations Invisible - Reveal and Revert for a workaround. But you might want to wait for a few days because the RootsMagician has promised an update that will do what you want, although I understand it will work initially only on a fresh import.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#76 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3589 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

There is a fix involving SQLite. I'll let others post the details on how to do it. I'm not sure if there is a good non-SQlite solution.

Which brings me to a couple of other points. Firstly, most FTM users will not want to have to use SQLite to fix this problem in RM.So I would suggest to RM developers that the import process from FTM (both direct and GEDCOM) be enhanced to move a Name source in FTM to become a Person source in RM.

Secondly (and I'm probably spitting into the wind on this one), I really think that RM needs to support a Name source. Attaching evidence for a name as a general person source is not so bad, I suppose, but it doesn't seem totally logical to me. Since attaching evidence for name as a general person source is the only thing that RM supports, that's what I do. But I'm not very happy about it. The only alternative that I have been able to think of would be to add a user defined fact called Name to RM and to attach my evidence for names there. But it would be a lot of work at this point, and it would be a little non-standard.

Thirdly, your message is the first I have heard that FTM doesn't support general person sources. I suspect that it's because FTM has the ability to have Name sources, Gender sources, etc. so that evidence can be attached where it really belongs. Since everything has a place, FTM apparently doesn't need a general person source. I really like this model, and I wish all of genealogy would embrace it.

Jerry

#77 tmcorcoran

tmcorcoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

Thanks, Jerry and Tom for the quick responses.  This seems to have done the trick.  I tried using the SQL (with the help of the video) and it worked!  My former name sources are all now person sources in RootsMagic, as far as I can tell so far.  Jerry, I agree with your point on RM supporting a Name source, which it sounds like they may eventually do.  

For the time being I'm doing all my work twice, once in FTM and once in RM and then comparing the results.  This way I can continue TreeSyncing with my ancestry.com file as well as get a feel to the way the two programs do things.  I'm also fixing up the conversion errors I see and and re-importing to RM every so often.  I'll keep doing this at least until I have all my data cleared up and my error log file is down to zero.  So I imagine I'll continue to import at least until RM installs the update to handle Name sources.

Thanks,

Tim

#78 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

HINT FOR ORGANIZING PLACE NAMES

After making a final import from FTM, take a look at how RootsMagic displays your Place List

Goto List. Then select Place List

Click on Print

Then Select "Print all places in database"

Check [x] Reverse place names 

Check [x] Print place details

Click Generate Report

Wait for report to display and scroll through the report.  Look for duplicates and spelling variations.  There is an edit capability for places and a way to merge duplicates.  Decide whether you like Place Details.

#79 CLMartin

CLMartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

- Bruce

Thanks, Bruce, for looking into this.  I agree that FTM used too many event/facts and I don't use but a quarter of them.  The ones I do use that don't transfer are easy to identify in FTM and change them to a Custom field, so I don't have a particular problem with them.  That's exactly what I did with the Cause of Death field -- just made a custom field and transferred them all in one swoop. I can't see the need for RM to make all those fields, as it is so easy to fix that on the FTM side.

If an FTM user is having a problem figuring out how to do a global replace of a field into a custom field, just let me know and I'll guide you through.  Just thought I'd let everyone know initially that they may have fields that don't transfer, so they don't get caught later wondering where the info went.

Thanks again, Bruce! 

#80 jevoyager

jevoyager

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

As someone still at a basic stage in their research (I have 253 people on my tree), I'm trying to decide if it would be easier for me to manually enter things into RM6 or clean up the import I did. It looks rather messy as it is, and since my tree is small I'm somewhat inclined to think it'd be easier to start from scratch. That and since I've been doing research casually for years, it'd give me the chance to look things over as I enter it and clean things up maybe (somewhat inspired by the geneaology do-over I've read about). But part of me wonders if I'm jumping the gun so to speak, and potentially make things harder for myself than need be. So just watned to see if anyone had any thoughts on this?