• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wunderlong88

wunderlong88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

With the discontinuation of FTM I am hopeful to find a program that will do comparable book publishing and am seriously considering RM.  I downloaded essentials and RM looks like what I want but I am going to have to export to FTM to get the reports/book publishing to do what I want.  

Here is an example of some of the pages I can make in FTM and hope to find in RM someday:

1. Text pages that will allow you to paste in images

2. Cleaner looking family group sheets (fewer lines/boxes)

3. More reports that allow images - such as the pedigree chart having a thumbnail image of each person

4. Something similiar to FTM's smart stories - where you can type your own information but you can import fields/people into the story so that if you update that field in the data it will update in your story.

Sample of some of these:

http://ge.tt/950yFXT2/v/0

Thank you!

Linda

http://readingthroug...y.blogspot.com/- reading lists and unit studies for homeschoolers

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

Well said, Linda. These are features that have been on the Wish List for a long time. To work around the limitations of RMs Publisher, users have to resort to exporting the book to RTF and work on it with MS Word (other word processing software usually has a problem). Alternatively, as you have discovered, export a GEDCOM to other family history software with better writing tools. Or a combination of the two.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

With the discontinuation of FTM I am hopeful to find a program that will do comparable book publishing and am seriously considering RM.  I downloaded essentials and RM looks like what I want but I am going to have to export to FTM to get the reports/book publishing to do what I want.  

Here is an example of some of the pages I can make in FTM and hope to find in RM someday:

3. More reports that allow images - such as the pedigree chart having a thumbnail image of each person

4. Something similiar to FTM's smart stories - where you can type your own information but you can import fields/people into the story so that if you update that field in the data it will update in your story.

Sample of some of these:

Thank you!

Linda

thumbs-up-emoticon.jpg

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 KristinaClever

KristinaClever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

I'm just starting to make the transition from FTM to RM. I'd love to see the ability to create wall chart for a specific list of people. For example, I would like to create a descendant chart for people who have done atDNA testing that have known common ancestor(s).

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

I'm just starting to make the transition from FTM to RM. I'd love to see the ability to create wall chart for a specific list of people. For example, I would like to create a descendant chart for people who have done atDNA testing that have known common ancestor(s).

You can create a group or color-code people by genetic lines. Then when you print the descendant list you could have colored the people you wish to target for DNA Testing. You can also use that group or other types of reports if you want to list people. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

Sample of some of these:

Thank you!

Linda

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic