14 replies to this topic

#1 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

Just noticed that the RM app on my iPad has been updated to 1.2.1 (from 1.2). I don't know if it has fixed all the issues that have been mentioned on this forum since 1.2 was shipped, but the more obvious ones seem to me to have been fixed. For example, on the individual view, selecting a spouse or child results in the appropriate pop-up for that person rather than no action.

For reference, I'm using IOS9 on an iPad3.

#2 Pickup

Pickup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

iPad app 1.2.1 on ISO 9.2 has not resolved all my problems:

Most frustrating is that the individual and family notes in my RM 6 file are missing completely on the iPad.

The "Facts" for an individual display on the iPad in a random order rather than being sorted by date as they are in
the RM 6 file.

Pop-ups and media now OK

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

The "Facts" for an individual display on the iPad in a random order rather than being sorted by date as they are in
the RM 6 file.

I hadn't noticed this one, but I think I know what's happening. The app is probably displaying the facts in the order in which they were entered into the system. They way they were entered into the system then becomes the physical ordering of the facts in RM's EventTable.

RM outputs facts in GEDCOM in the same "wrong" order. When I complained about this years ago, the response was that the GEDCOM was standards compliant and that it was the responsibility of the system receiving the GEDCOM to put the events in the GEDCOM back into the correct order based on their dates. The RM app is not based on GEDCOM, but the philosophy should be the same. It should be the responsibility of the app to display the events in the correct date order rather than in the physical order in which they are stored in the database.

All of the above is speculation, but I suspect that it's correct speculation. There is probably a bug in the app in that it is probably not sorting the events at all. Rather, it is probably just displaying them in the order in which it reads them out of the database. And you probably don't notice the bug very often because you probably type events into the system in the date order most of the time. E.g,, you probably seldom type in the burial event first, the death event second, and the birth event third.

Jerry

#4 Pickup

Pickup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:20 AM

I hadn't noticed this one, but I think I know what's happening. The app is probably displaying the facts in the order in which they were entered into the system. They way they were entered into the system then becomes the physical ordering of the facts in RM's EventTable.

RM outputs facts in GEDCOM in the same "wrong" order. When I complained about this years ago, the response was that the GEDCOM was standards compliant and that it was the responsibility of the system receiving the GEDCOM to put the events in the GEDCOM back into the correct order based on their dates. The RM app is not based on GEDCOM, but the philosophy should be the same. It should be the responsibility of the app to display the events in the correct date order rather than in the physical order in which they are stored in the database.

All of the above is speculation, but I suspect that it's correct speculation. There is probably a bug in the app in that it is probably not sorting the events at all. Rather, it is probably just displaying them in the order in which it reads them out of the database. And you probably don't notice the bug very often because you probably type events into the system in the date order most of the time. E.g,, you probably seldom type in the burial event first, the death event second, and the birth event third.

Jerry

#5 Pickup

Pickup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

Jerry,

My RM6 file was created by importing a Family Origins 8 file into RootsMagic. "Facts" are sorted correctly in date
order in the FO8 data base and in the RM6 file.

But there is field in RM6 that was not present in FO8 namely "sort date" for an event. RM6 automatically created the correct sort date during the importing process. Clearly the sort dates in the RM6 file cannot be being picked up by
the app.

Chris

#6 Pickup

Pickup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:35 AM

Jerry,

I have looked more closely at the order in which "Facts" are displayed on the app. It is not random as I first thought
Generally events are in the correct date order - it's just marriages that all appear at the end of the list.

Chris

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

My RM6 file was created by importing a Family Origins 8 file into RootsMagic. "Facts" are sorted correctly in date
order in the FO8 data base and in the RM6 file.

For the situation I was describing, I don't think you can tell that facts are in the "wrong" order without examining the internals of the FO8 database and the RM database very carefully (for example, examining the RM database with SQLite), or without examining the GEDCOM very carefully (but you didn't use GEDCOM). On the other hand, I responded too quickly in my response and I went by memory rather than looking at the app. The app does not display events in the physical order they are in the database. It processes dates and sort dates correctly. My bad on that one.

On the other hand, with your new description I do know what is going on (and I did look at the app this time before replying!). The app is displaying all individual events before all "family events", sort of like the way events are displayed in RM's narrative reports. "Family events" are really "couple events" since they don't involve the children. They are such things as marriage, divorce, marriage banns, and that sort of thing.

There are numerous requests for narrative reports to display events in true timeline order. I share that desire, but the way narrative reports work does make sense. I'm not sure that the individual events before couple events approach really makes sense for the app.

Jerry

#8 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

Roots Magic App 1.2.1 on iPad air 2 with iOS 9.2.  I imported my data into Roots Magic 7 from TMG 9.05 (running Parallels on a Mac).  The import appears to be clean with the data displaying accurately.  Using IiTunes, I imported the data file into the app with no known issues.

Problem:  When in all views EXCEPT the individual Full Detail view, the wrong birth dates are shown.  My daughters birthday will appear as mine.  Mine will appears as my Father's AND Mother's, etc.  In other words, they appear to shift up (or back) one generation.

Is this a known bug or have I, some how did something wrong?

Thanks

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

I don't recall this issue. It might be best to rule on corruption in your file first. Inside RootsMagic go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. Then upload it to the app.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

I followed your suggestion and performed the four tasks under database tools.  I replaced the file in iTunes and re-synced my iPad.  When I opened up the app, the dates issue was unchanged.

#11 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

Problem:  When in all views EXCEPT the individual Full Detail view, the wrong birth dates are shown.  My daughters birthday will appear as mine.  Mine will appears as my Father's AND Mother's, etc.  In other words, they appear to shift up (or back) one generation.

As another sample user with those software levels, I don't seem to have this problem.

The only date related problem that I do see is that there are no details (dates and places) at all in the Descendant view - just the names of the requested number of generations.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

I followed your suggestion and performed the four tasks under database tools.  I replaced the file in iTunes and re-synced my iPad.  When I opened up the app, the dates issue was unchanged.

It would be best to open a support ticket with a backup of your file. Let them know which individuals and views to look at.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

As another sample user with those software levels, I don't seem to have this problem.

The only date related problem that I do see is that there are no details (dates and places) at all in the Descendant view - just the names of the requested number of generations.

The years, not full dates should be displayed in the Descendant View. Did you update to the latest version of the RM App?

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

Renee

I opened a support ticket.

Thanks

#15 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:59 AM

The years, not full dates should be displayed in the Descendant View. Did you update to the latest version of the RM App?

Yes, I'm using version 1.2.1.

HOWEVER, interestingly I've just tried it on my iPhone 6s and the dates do show (but no places, though there is no room to show places on the screen). But neither the dates nor the places show on either an iPad2 (non-retina) or iPad3 (retina). This is with the same file and all with RM 1.2.1 and IOS 9.2.1. Umh!

Experimenting a little further, I can get the values displayed on the iPad3 by altering the Text Size setting in the Diplay and Brightness options (within Settings) to the lowest value. (This changes the text size for apps that support Dynamic Type - my setting seems to have been 2 notches up from the minimum.) BUT only for the top person in the Descendent view, and even then if you go to any other Descendent view, or return to the Descentent view for that same person, no values are displayed. There would appear to be some interaction with the Text Size setting, but it is not a straightforward one.

******* added

Experimenting even further on the iPad3, with a Descendent view displayed with no values against any person, switching into settings and changing the text size to any value, however large, results in the values being displayed for just the top person. The text size used is the same regardless of the text size setting. Moving to another view or person and then returning to the same person results in no values being displayed in any Descendents view - until one again tweaks the text size setting. Weird.

For reference, the Text Size setting on the iPhone is in the middle position, which I guess is the default.