Photo

Export Media from Family Tree Maker 2 for Mac

media ancestry family tree maker family tree maker 2 for Mac exporting media linking media

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 omahacmb

omahacmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

In light of Ancestry's recent "bombshell," I need to transition off of Family Tree Maker 2 for the Mac. So I took advantage of generous offer by RootsMagic to take in us "FTM refugees" at a very reasonable price, and now I'm trying out the new software.  

I *have* read the instructions, but still not sure how/whether I can export my FTM 2 Mac tree WITH the media files, so that RootsMagic for Mac can automatically link to the media.

Family Tree Maker 2 for Mac offers the following export options: 

• The native Family Tree Maker 2 for Mac format
  • Family Tree Maker 2010 for Mac
  • GEDCOM 5.5 (Standard)
  • GEDCOM for FTM 16

The GEDCOM formats have the option to "Include media files" pre-selected but grayed out--whatever that is supposed to mean.  

The GEDCOM 5.5 I created did not seem to export any info about my media files, not surprisingly.

I have fewer than 700 downloaded media items, but that's enough that I wouldn't care to re-link them by hand.  

Any suggestions gratefully considered.

#2 calafia

calafia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Hi, I also just joined this forum. I have Family Tree Maker 3, so I can't answer your question directly, but I found this Magic Guide helpful when importing my media.

http://files.rootsma...t_FTM_Media.pdf

Part B implies that if your FTM version is prior to 2012, you won't be able to export the media links using GEDCOM and reconnect them in RootsMagic. RM doesn't reconnect the media automatically in any case. I had to follow the steps in Part C of the guide to get photos and documents to appear in the appropriate locations. Hope this helps a little!

#3 Gdadsaccolyte

Gdadsaccolyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:41 AM

I am a MAC user and an old user of Family Tree Maker still stewing over being abandoned by Ancestry.com.  Now that I have installed Rootsmagic for MAC, I have discovered that it will not import current versions of Family Tree Maker for MAC (and a quarter century ago, I was using Roots for DOS).  I would export to an earlier version if that were possible, but nothing really seems to work.  I do not want to lose any of the information or media I have in Family Tree Maker, but I am losing hope.  I have not even been able to get as far as calafia has.  Is there any hope?

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

In the forum for the PC version of RM, there are a couple threads, one big one pinned to the top of the forum, with LOTS of advice for migrating from FTM to RM.

-

http://forums.rootsm...4-ftm-rm-70100/

-

http://forums.rootsm...-refugee-hints/

-

I hope that advice will help you folks immigrating to RM.

WELCOME !!!

There are a number of RM users who will try to promptly answer questions for you.

#5 Gdadsaccolyte

Gdadsaccolyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

Thanks zhangrau

#6 Timothy J. Barron

Timothy J. Barron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

When you export FTM with Media, it does not embed the media in the GED file.  But will leave it in the folder where it currently resides.

When you import the GED into RootsMagic, it may not find the media folder.

If it it does not, see this thread, where you simply point RootsMagic to the media folder, to resynch the images.

http://forums.rootsm...ndows/?hl=media

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: media, ancestry, family tree maker, family tree maker 2 for Mac, exporting media, linking media