• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wunderlong88

wunderlong88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

I am trying to decide whether to go with Rootsmagic or Legacy Family Tree as I am one of the many who were using FTM and have to find another solution.

The main factors in deciding for me will probably be related to the reports and book publishing options.  I've downloaded the free Rootsmagic but much of this is disabled.  I've watched some videos but still lack answers to some of my concerns.

1. Is there anything comparable to FTM's smart stories in RM?

2. In the text report can I insert pictures? If not is there a report where I can basically type a few paragraphs of information with at least some basic formatting options (font, font size, center or left alignment) and also add a few photos that I can size/resize as I want.

3. Can I make a report, save it, and then add it to a book? (FTM does not doe this)  I would like to be able to take the saved report make a few changes to it and save it as another report, thus creating two reports.

I have two books that I created in FTM.  I spent a lot of time on these creating many pages that have historical information and photos - such as specific battles in the Civil War or American Revolution, historic buildings or events and brief history of them along with them.  I am very unhappy to have to start over at all with these but I want to make sure I get a program that will do what I want.  

A few years ago I was using Legacy 7 and it would not let me make a text report and put photos or even change the font.  Seems kind of basic to me.  The genealogy reports and charts are fine (probably ok in RM, too) but I need to be able to make pages as I previously disussed.  I dont' really want to make them in another program and insert them later as this is fiddly and more steps.  I need to be able to export the entire thing as a pdf, indexed with page numbers.

Just a quick perusal of RM looks good but I really need to be able to do #2 at bare minimum, #1 and #3 are not necessary but would be helpful.

TY!

Linda

http://readingthroug...y.blogspot.com/- reading lists and unit studies for homeschoolers

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

1. I never used Smart Stories so I can't compare RM to that.

2. Text pages you can insert into Publisher won't add photos. Reports that you can add that have photos will only use the Primary Photo for a person. Otherwise you need to add a scrapbook page with the Publisher. You can generate a book and save it as an RTF file and edit it.

3. You can add blank pages to the book and then later outside of RootsMagic add the other report into it. It's best using Microsoft Word.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 wunderlong88

wunderlong88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Ok...so can I export to pdf or would I have to put the rtf in another program (I have open office) to do that?

Also, I am not clear what you are saying in #3.  Are you saying the a page created in MS Word will go into the file on the blank page electronically.  Or does the blank page just hold the place so that I can insert a physical page printed in MS word into that location in a physical book?

BTW, do you know of another piece of software that would work with RM that is just for publishing family tree history books.  Maybe this is what I should be looking for?

TY!

http://readingthroug...y.blogspot.com/- reading lists and unit studies for homeschoolers

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:23 PM

You can save in RootsMagic to PDF, but then you couldn't edit it if needed.

#3 is holding the place so you can insert the physical pages. It keeps the page number correct that way. You can also edit in Word and add the full text on those pages. 

I am not familiar with another software that would create genealogy books. Cyndi's List is pretty good at listing everything out there. Take a look through the links on this page to see what's there - http://cyndislist.com/software/

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:29 AM

You can save in RootsMagic to PDF, but then you couldn't edit it if needed.

There are free resources on the web for converting PDF files to MSWord files. I think Open Office can open typical MSWord files. Search for "PDF to Word conversion"