11 replies to this topic

#1 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

In TMG a specific file location (a file folder) is assigned for media for each file.  RM doesn't do this.  When I share my file with family members, none of the media is available.  The only way to make it available is reconnect each individual picture.  I have one file that has over 2600 pieces of media.  Could you design an app or something that would help reattach media when a file is moved to another computer?  Give the address of the file folder for each file, so RM automatically looks for that file name in that specific folder for all the media in that file and automatically attaches, or re-attaches the media?

Kim D

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:16 PM

If you upgrade to RootsMagic 7 you can create a backup that includes media. It will place all the media in one folder and link to it when you restore the backup.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:51 AM

RM6 has Tools->Create a Shareable CD

If you don't want to create the CD, just take note of where you've directed RM to create the files that would make up a CD (if the entire CD-making process were allowed to finish) and instead just zip up the files in the destination folder and subfolders for sharing with others.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6265 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

If you do not like that both of the above suggestions result in collapsing a purposefully designed structure of media folders into one folder, you may wish for an enhancement that preserves the structure, similarly to this outboard procedure which you might use while waiting for RootsMagic to develop it: http://sqlitetoolsfo...Database - 7Zip

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

The Search & Replace Multimedia filename really helped!  Again, sorry I didn't notice it before!  I do have RM7, and use the backup media files when I backup my individual files.  What would be the advantage to using Backup Media with Database - 7Zip over using the built-in RM7 backup with the backup media files box ticked?  

Kim D

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6265 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

The difference between the two is that the RM backup consolidates all the media files into one folder and changes the backup database so that is pointed at them, not to their original location(s), while my procedure keeps the media in their original folder structure. Which is advantageous depends on what you are doing and want. The RM backup may be easier for restoring on another computer but the loss of a well structured folder system may be negative.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

The difference between the two is that the RM backup consolidates all the media files into one folder and changes the backup database so that is pointed at them, not to their original location(s), while my procedure keeps the media in their original folder structure. Which is advantageous depends on what you are doing and want. The RM backup may be easier for restoring on another computer but the loss of a well structured folder system may be negative.

I'll say the loss of the well structured folder is negative!  I've worked very hard on the structure of my folders.  So when I'm backing up an individual file, what's it doing to the media associated with that file?  I thought it was just backing up that individual file and the media associated with that individual file.  No?  I definitely DON'T want the media from other data files mixed together! :blink:  :wacko:   So how do I make the shortcut?  Can you give me an example, say for a data file named "File1.rgmc".  I wouldn't even want the RM method for relocating on to another computer.  I need to keep my data files and their associated media files separate.

Thanks so much for your help!

Kim D

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6265 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

Your first assumption is correct. When you Backup database with media, RM7 creates a zip file with the .rmgb extension that contains only the media files associated with that database but in a flattened single folder along with the database file modified to connect to the media in that folder. RM does the same flattening of structure when it creates a shareable CD. If you have a single media folder per database, then there is no impact other than the backup media folder will have a standard name and location relative to the database file which may not be the same as your working one.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

I do understand how you want to preserve your file structure but there is a way to keep the media folders separate for restored RootsMagic database's with media. You could restore one database with media and then rename the media folder. Then when the next one is restored with media rename that media folder that is created. You would either use List>Media Gallery>Tools>Fix broken media links or Search>Search & Replace>Multimedia filenames to fix the broken links. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

I do understand how you want to preserve your file structure but there is a way to keep the media folders separate for restored RootsMagic database's with media. You could restore one database with media and then rename the media folder. Then when the next one is restored with media rename that media folder that is created. You would either use List>Media Gallery>Tools>Fix broken media links or Search>Search & Replace>Multimedia filenames to fix the broken links. 

Thanks for this, Renee!  Being able to redirect all the media in one batch is wonderful! :rolleyes:

Kim D

#11 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

I also have a well-developed file folder structure that I don't want to lose via backups.

My current RM7 File - Properties shows 19K multimedia items, with 72K multimedia links.

Windows Explorer - Properties of my top-level media folder shows 28K files in 270 folders, using 26 GB of drive space.

I can't imagine putting all 28K files into a single folder - just doesn't make any sense, even if Win7 can technically handle it (I've never tested a folder with that many files) - so I do all of my RM backups without including media.

I use a utility called ZTreeWin [http://www.ztree.com/html/ztreewin.htm] to do incremental backups of my entire root-level genealogy folder - currently using 106 GB of drive space, with RM databases, backups, multimedia, research files of various types, saved reports, etc.

ZTreeWin is fast, easy to learn and use, and allows me to conveniently backup my data to a 2nd internal drive and to a separate external USB drive. And it maintains & duplicates my entire folder structure.

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

I don't understand this solution. Doesn't it just give you a separate but still flat, folder structure for each database, even though there was originally a tree structure for media for each database?

I think of my youngest daughter when I think of this problem. She is one of the few people I know who are fluent both on a PC and on a Mac. She is an environmental scientist, and at her job they have huge mounts of data. It's kept on a very large tree structure of folders on Windows servers, and everybody in the office uses their PC's to access this folder structure. Everybody is extremely aware of where all the data is and keeping track of all the data is very important. But at home, my daughter uses a Mac and she has commented that she doesn't really know where any of her data on the Mac is. But she doesn't care, because as she puts it, her Mac knows where all the data is. It's sort of the same philosophy that Gmail has where it doesn't have folders (or at least not really). But according to the Google folks who manage Gmail, it doesn't matter because you can just search for whatever email you want to find.

I find my daughter's approach at work to be exemplary, but her approach at home with her Mac would drive me crazy as does the Gmail approach of one flat storage space that you just search. I guess there are two kinds of people in the world - those who like their data organized into folders and those who don't. Both approaches can work, but I like folders and RM's disdain for my media folders does drive me crazy.

I suppose I could just learn to live with it, except that like zhangrau describes, a large amount of data doesn't scale very well in a flat storage space. I do hope that the RM rewrite will take this into account. A very bare minimum start would be for RM to support relative folder addresses the way HTML does so that having the same files on different machines would still work as long as the relative folder structure was maintained even if the base folder address was not.

Jerry