9 replies to this topic

#1 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

I have a good number of people where one of the spouses is unknown (usually the wife).  When I imported (from TMG) a separate Unknown Spouse was assigned to each of the children.  For instance, in TMG I had John Smith with 1 unknown wife and 5 children.  In RM I have John Smith with 5 Unknown wives, each with 1 child.  I haven't found a way to search for this problem, so I can only fix it when I happen to run into it.  (I have also started going down the RM Explorer one person at a time looking for the problem.)  I have 5 data files, 2 with over 20,000 people in them.  The math is boggling, and I'm trying not to think about the time it's going to take to fix.  I don't know if anything can be done to fix this conversion problem, but it sure did cause a mess.

I just recently realized that none of my Divorces transferred over to RM.  I'm going to have to run a Search in TMG for all the Divorces and put them back in to my files. :wacko:

Kim D

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

To help narrow it down create a group with the filter - Number of spouses - greater than - 1

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

Was that a direct import? It is odd that this seems to be the first report of this problem, to the best of my knowledge.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

Was that a direct import? It is odd that this seems to be the first report of this problem, to the best of my knowledge.

Yes.  I used the special Import a TMG file.  I only noticed it by accident, so maybe it's happened to others and they just don't realize it?

Kim D

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

Do the unknown spouses have RINs? Probably not. It sounds as though RootsMagic created a new record in its FamilyTable for the known parent and undefined spouse (RIN=0) for each child. This may be due to some difference in the database constructs of the two programs. It should be possible to merge these records into one and relink the children to the merged couple using SQLite.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:08 PM

To help narrow it down create a group with the filter - Number of spouses - greater than - 1

I wracked my brain trying to think of a filter!  I didn't even notice the "number of spouses" option.  I think I'll keep stepping through through the Explorer because I'm finding the duplicate tags at the same time, and I've found some other problems that way as well - like when it duplicated a spouse.  I've even found a couple of problems that are my fault as well  :blink:.  What?  I'm not perfect?  Say it's not so!  Thank you for pointing out the "number of spouses" option.  That would still put in the tons of people I have that have multiple named spouses, but it would cut the list down a bit.  Stepping through is slower, but I'm finding and fixing more problems.  I think I'll run the filter later to make sure I got everybody.

Kim D

#7 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

Do the unknown spouses have RINs? Probably not. It sounds as though RootsMagic created a new record in its FamilyTable for the known parent and undefined spouse (RIN=0) for each child. This may be due to some difference in the database constructs of the two programs. It should be possible to merge these records into one and relink the children to the merged couple using SQLite.

The unknown spouses do not have RINs.  Yes, I think it was caused by the difference in the constructs of the two programs.  I have to evaluate them one at a time though, because sometimes they should stay separate.  I have a bunch that are "John Smith had 5 illegitimate children with 5 unknown mistresses".  I wouldn't want to automatically merge those, and I can't think of a way I could define the difference.  As you observed, it is a problem caused by the different way each program handled marriages.

Kim D

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

I wonder how TMG differentiated between 5 identical unknown spouses and 5 different unknown mistresses. In RM, they are all spouses and the only differentiation is in the choice of labels, e.g., husband/wife or partner. I think you are stuck with having them all separate or all merged and then manually correcting for the exceptions that you would find only by inspection, e.g., comparing reports from both TMG and RM.

#9 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

I wonder how TMG differentiated between 5 identical unknown spouses and 5 different unknown mistresses. In RM, they are all spouses and the only differentiation is in the choice of labels, e.g., husband/wife or partner. I think you are stuck with having them all separate or all merged and then manually correcting for the exceptions that you would find only by inspection, e.g., comparing reports from both TMG and RM.

I guess I'd have to say they look the same in TMG.  It's all in one window in TMG.  Yep, I think I'm stuck with having to do it manually.  

Kim D

#10 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

I just did a Find with the "number of spouses" and I've already found names I missed :blink:.  Thank you for pointing out the filter!  I obviously need to double-check.

Kim D