No replies to this topic

#1 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

First, let me say I'm very grateful for Drag and Drop!  I have two files that have a lot of the same people.  My maternal grandmother and maternal grandfather's lines run into the royal lines and they cross-over a lot.  I've made a third file that combines my maternal grandparents so we can see how they weave in and out of each other.  It's fascinating and I wasn't able to do it in TMG.  So I am very grateful for Drag and Drop!  

There are some problems with Drag and Drop.  I don't know if there's anything that can be done to fix them, but fixing them would sure make Drag and Drop more productive and easier to use.

Duplicates
Sometimes it makes duplicate:
  • facts/tags
  • people that don't show up on Duplicate Merge Search
  • spouses that don't show up on Duplicate Merge Search

Drag and Drop an individual - with Merging the person:
  • doesn't clean duplicate sources (even though it says it is), sometimes it multiplies them 
    (Copying an existing person in File A with source X & Y to an existing person in File B with source X:
    In File B there are usually two copies of source X and one Y, but sometimes there will be three or even four copies of source X, even though all source Xs are absolutely identical in both Files A & B)
Drag and Drop multiple generations (ancestors and 1 generation of descendants):
  • in patches it makes duplicates for a generation or two that don't show up on Duplicate Merge Search
  • sometimes it copies the siblings of the ancestor and sometimes it doesn't
    I've had very uneven results when copying over multiple generations.  I've found huge branches that weren't tranferred over and I can see no explanation as to why.  Sometimes the copy works and sometimes it doesn't.
Drag and Drop could be improved by adding:
  • drag and drop a couple - a person and their spouse - so the marriage tags are included
  • and/or if the "select people from a list" worked

(I try not Drag and Drop a generation or more at a time because then the other problems listed above are more likely to occur.  So I've been using Drag and Drop one person at a time, and the Marriage information doesn't drag over.)

Kim D