• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jhowes

jhowes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:33 AM

This is my first post here so, please correct me if I say something silly.

I have used RM for a quite awhile.  Just getting more serious about it.

I like the product a lot but am finding some things that I would like enhanced and/or improved.  I know new versions are in process, probably more than one at time.

Is there a list of what is planned for upcoming releases.  I looked but didn't find such a list.  If not, please consider creating such a list.  People requesting enhancements, changes and/or bug fixes (I can't say that I have seen any bug btw  :D ) will have place to check on whether and when a request is likely to be put into production.

Jack

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Is there a list of what is planned for upcoming releases.  I looked but didn't find such a list.  If not, please consider creating such a list.  People requesting enhancements, changes and/or bug fixes (I can't say that I have seen any bug btw  :D ) will have place to check on whether and when a request is likely to be put into production.

Jack

Hi Jack and welcome to the forum and community.

I can say that RM have never hinted at the development path and assume that they never will. If you have an enhancement in mind I would suggest searching for some base term like "people View", "reports", "mapping" etc along with "enhancement request" & "tracking system", other enhancements on the same theme should then be apparent.

Some have the opinion the "tracking system" must be broken at the seams but it's the simplest ideas from fresh eyes that are most valuable so please don't shy away from posting your ideas or observations on how RM could be more helpful, informative and productive.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

The Enhancement list won't be shared outside of the company because our competitors would love to get their hands on it for easy pickings. The bug list is also useful to them, so we won't put that out either. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

The Enhancement list won't be shared outside of the company because our competitors would love to get their hands on it for easy pickings. The bug list is also useful to them, so we won't put that out either. 

As if the competition can't read these forums.   :wacko:

I think the real reason might be that the world would be shocked to know just how few bugs and enhancements ever make it off those lists.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

Yes, our competitors can read the forums, and our social media sites. They can't see the enhancement requests that come through our support ticket system. But to actually hire someone to go through all the possible sites we have would be cost prohibitive to them. RootsMagic had to hire me to manage those internal lists. An open list well that's easy pickings.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 forty-two

forty-two

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

Renee,

My wish list is as follows. I've offered some of these ideas in the past, but it's long ago.

• The ability to Privatize more easily. With RM7, if I want to paste a privatized list of descendants of John Doe into the body of an email, I have to export my file to GEDCOM with privacy options selected, then import the privatized GEDCOM back to RM, and create a descendant report. Then I still can't copy and paste into an email. I have to save the file as an RTF, copy the desired text from Word, and paste it into an email. Then I close the privatized file and go back to my regular file in RM. That's a lot of steps. I think I ought to be able to temporarily privatize my file, create my report, copy and paste from RM to my email, and unprivatize my file ... pretty sure it was as easy as that in FTM ten years ago.
  • I wish there was a Back button in Family View in RM, so I could easily go back to what I was working on after looking up something unrelated or even after navigating to look at the family of a great grandfather, then wanting to return to the great granddaughter. If I'm not familiar with the family, I may not even remember the right children and grandchildren to navigate back to the great granddaughter, so I have to go to the Index and type her name to go back to her. 
  • I'm still hoping for genealogy software someday that can automatically change people from Living to Not Living based on a variety of parameters, such as if the person was born 105 or 110 years ago, had a child born 90 years ago, had a grandchild born 75 years ago, had a mother born 160 years ago, and so on. People might debate the parameters ... can we safely assume a person is deceased at 105 years? But I don't imagine it would be hard to incorporate code into genealogy programs, to follow the parameters and change the "Living" flag when a person turns 105 or 110 years old, etc.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3528 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

RM already has the Back button in Family View, and really in all the other views.  Well, it sort of already has the Back button, and also a Forward button. Both buttons work off of the History sidebar, and they work off of the History sidebar even if the History sidebar is not displayed.  I say "sort of already has" because you have to enable the feature. It's not there by default.

Go to the right end of the Tool bar and click the little down arrow. If you hover over it, it says More Buttons. If you click it, it says Add or Remove Buttons. So click on Add or Remove Buttons. Having done so, a drop down menu will appear. Click the last one at the bottom called Customize. Click the Toolbar option and then click the Commands tab. Highlight Search in the Categories column. You will now see the forward and back icons in the right hand column under Commands. Drag and drop each one of them into the toolbar above. Drop them wherever you want them to be. I usually drop new icons at the right end of the toolbar, but you can drop icons anywhere in the toolbar. (Drag and drop means click and hold the left mouse button on the icon, keep holding the left mouse button down as you drag, drag the icon where you want it, and let go the left mouse button when you are done dragging.)

Jerry

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

The ability to Privatize more easily. With RM7, if I want to paste a privatized list of descendants of John Doe into the body of an email, I have to export my file to GEDCOM with privacy options selected, then import the privatized GEDCOM back to RM, and create a descendant report. Then I still can't copy and paste into an email. I have to save the file as an RTF, copy the desired text from Word, and paste it into an email. Then I close the privatized file and go back to my regular file in RM. That's a lot of steps. I think I ought to be able to temporarily privatize my file, create my report, copy and paste from RM to my email, and unprivatize my file ... pretty sure it was as easy as that in FTM ten years ago.

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list.

I wish there was a Back button in Family View in RM, so I could easily go back to what I was working on after looking up something unrelated or even after navigating to look at the family of a great grandfather, then wanting to return to the great granddaughter. If I'm not familiar with the family, I may not even remember the right children and grandchildren to navigate back to the great granddaughter, so I have to go to the Index and type her name to go back to her.

The history list and back button are designed to work this way.

I'm still hoping for genealogy software someday that can automatically change people from Living to Not Living based on a variety of parameters, such as if the person was born 105 or 110 years ago, had a child born 90 years ago, had a grandchild born 75 years ago, had a mother born 160 years ago, and so on. People might debate the parameters ... can we safely assume a person is deceased at 105 years? But I don't imagine it would be hard to incorporate code into genealogy programs, to follow the parameters and change the "Living" flag when a person turns 105 or 110 years old, etc.

If you enter a person with a birth or christen date tp 105 years ago their living flag is automatically unchecked. You can use Tools>Set Living to define the criteria you want to changed a group of people living status.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 jhowes

jhowes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Hi Renee,

Thanks for the updates.

Talking about specific improvements, one I would like to see is some way to better handle printing of media items.  Now of course audio/video will never print but images and files certainly can.  I would like to be able to create custom reports that intersperse printable media items (images, pdfs) with individuals or families e.g., created a family group report, I would like to be able to configure what media items associated with the family print and how they are organized on pages. You almost have the parts but I don't think there is anyway to print .pdfs as a scrapbook item even though I can associate one with a person or family.  And I don't find a way to intersperse Scrapbook items with other reports, even custom ones. Now if I am wrong, please point me in the right direction.  If I am correct, consider this as something to add to the enhancement list.

Thanks.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

• I'm still hoping for genealogy software someday that can automatically change people from Living to Not Living based on a variety of parameters, such as if the person was born 105 or 110 years ago, had a child born 90 years ago, had a grandchild born 75 years ago, had a mother born 160 years ago, and so on. People might debate the parameters ... can we safely assume a person is deceased at 105 years? But I don't imagine it would be hard to incorporate code into genealogy programs, to follow the parameters and change the "Living" flag when a person turns 105 or 110 years old, etc.

You might find this of interest: Living Flag - Set Globally

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

Hi Renee,

Thanks for the updates.

Talking about specific improvements, one I would like to see is some way to better handle printing of media items.  Now of course audio/video will never print but images and files certainly can.  I would like to be able to create custom reports that intersperse printable media items (images, pdfs) with individuals or families e.g., created a family group report, I would like to be able to configure what media items associated with the family print and how they are organized on pages. You almost have the parts but I don't think there is anyway to print .pdfs as a scrapbook item even though I can associate one with a person or family.  And I don't find a way to intersperse Scrapbook items with other reports, even custom ones. Now if I am wrong, please point me in the right direction.  If I am correct, consider this as something to add to the enhancement list.

Thanks.

Confirming enhancement request are in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new features, bug fixes, status list