• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jejjr

jejjr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

A person is, of course, born and given a name. If that person is subsequently adopted, he or she is given a new legal name. I cannot figure out how to deal with this situation either 'genealogically' or entering into Rootsmagic. Person was born with name "A" then adopted and married and had children under name "B". Person and family want to see lineage based on bloodlines. I'm confused (and obviously new to genealogy). Can anyone offer advice while refraining from calling me names for not knowing the answer already? JEJ

#2 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (jejjr @ Mar 24 2005, 10:42 AM)
Can anyone offer advice while refraining from calling me names for not knowing the answer already?

biggrin.gif Do "Add a fact" on the person's edit page and add an "Alternate name" fact.
RootsMagician

#3 jejjr

jejjr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:39 PM

Thanks, Initially I had added the person with birthname. I added adoption fact. I added alternate name fact. Now when I try and add spouse under new (adopted) name I hit a wall. Since spouse married person after adoption there is no person to add spouse to. Am I missing some basic logic?. It's very possible. JEJ

#4 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

A person is usually always under their birth name. You can use the Alternate name fact type to show other names the person was known by.
RootsMagician

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

I do not agree with the RootsMagician on this issue.

He is probably correct in that using the birth name is the way genealogists do it.

But if John Doe was born and adopted by John and Jane Smythe when he was a baby, no one in will ever know who you are talking about if you use the birth name, John Doe.

Since you can give any person several sets of parents, I would give this person two sets, a birth set, and an adoption set. I would use the name the person wues and is known by and put a note in either the birth or adoption fact stating the birth name and why is was changed.

-- My opinion only, it probably has nothing to do with good genealogy practices. --
Alfred

#6 jejjr

jejjr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:07 PM

Thanks ALFRED. I knew that family relationships could be complicated. I've begun my foray into recording genealogy info in a computerized form using hand-drawn/hand-written sources. It's pretty easy to just draw a line and use new name on the next line when you're just writing it down. Follow the lines, you make connection. It's a bit more complicated using computer software. Do you know if there is a "Genealogy For Dummies" publication? I'll learn (hopefully). So far, I'm happy with RootsMagic. I've only had to ask a couple of questions of Tech Support. Replies have been quick and pretty much to the point. If I'm a bit wordy on the forum, sorry. I'm new to that too. JEJ

#7 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Alfred @ Mar 24 2005, 02:32 PM)
I do not agree with the RootsMagician on this issue.

Hey, that's my wife's job wink.gif
RootsMagician

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

Do you know if there is a "Genealogy For Dummies" publication? I'll learn (hopefully).

There probably is, I don't know for sure.
I do have a book titled: "Idiot's Guide to Genealogy" -- I browsed it but haven't read it, It still looks too deep form me. laugh.gif

I found it at Menards, Home building supplies store in a bargin bin for about $5, It has the Broderbune name on the comve and came with a couple of disks that I can't find any use for either.

There are a few beginner's guides thay you could probably find on the internet. Cyndi's list is sure to have a link to some.
http://www.cyndislist.com/

Alfred