• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silverbiker

silverbiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:28 AM

I am still happily working on RootsMagic 6 but recently I did a prompted update, bad move.  It apparently updated me to RootsMagic7 Essentials which has restricted access.  On contacting Customer Services the either/or choice was to pay to update or totally reinstall by way of my RootsMagic 6 disc.  Am I being held to ransom here in that its either pay up or go through the lengthy reinstall process?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

I'm not sure why you were surprised by the need to pay for an upgrade to RM7. That has been well publicized in newsletters, etc.

As I usually do with software updates, I did some research on the pros & cons (including a lot of reading on these forums), and waited to upgrade until after a few bug-squashing updates had been released. I also did not uninstall RM6 as I installed RM7 - that leaves me the opportunity to easily compare two databases side-by-side, since RM6 and RM7 use the same file format.

I don't know your budget circumstances, but I'd recommend updating. If you don't like, or don't anticipate using, the web hints features, you can turn them off under Tools - Program Options.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3258 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

Your title of this post is using the word updating. An update is not an upgrade and warrants no need to beware.

Even with an upgrade there is a prompt to inquire of the user whether they wish to leave the prior major version intact or remove it.

A re-install of RM6 from this link http://rootsmagic.co...d/rootsmagic-6/

is painless and takes virtually no time at all.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

The RootsMagic News screen says "Upgrade to RootsMagic 7" so there was nothing tricky there at all. When there is an actual update for a program it will give the same version number you are currently running and the indicator will be in the lower right corner of the program. There never will be any updates released to RootsMagic 6 because we don't update older version. The only updates will be for RootsMagic 7, the current version.

You can reinstall RootsMagic 6 since you have a license for that version. The RootsMagic 7 Essentials is still a good resource for you, especially since the file formats are the same and can opened in either RM6 or RM7, moving freely back and forth. The WebHints for FamilySearch and MyHeritage are free in that version. Something you won't have in RM6, so play with them. The FamilySearch Tools no longer work in RM6, but are fully functionally in RM7 Essentials. So its not bad thing to have installed RM7 Essentials.

Renee
RootsMagic