5 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

I would love to be able to delete ALL the unused places in my database. This would require to simple addition of a tab to do just that. After extensive edition and merging, I have a very long list of unused places. Thanks

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

An indirect way with some risks is to drag'n'drop everyone to a new database. That will lose all unused Places, unused Sources... However, make sure that you have edited the Fact Types so that all have been enabled for GEDCOM as those that have not been so marked will not be copied. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Right now as TomH mention drag n drop will get rid of them all. Otherwise you need to delete one at a time. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:15 PM

How about a creative workaround:

Merge all of the unused places into a single unused place. Then delete that one unused place.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:11 AM

I like zangrau's thinking  ,'o)

I'm curious, what problem do you feel unused places cause ?

(...except for outright wrong ones - which should be merged or deleted immediately, anyway.)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

How about a creative workaround:

Merge all of the unused places into a single unused place. Then delete that one unused place.

That is creative but I think keystroke wise its faster and safer to use Lists>Place List>Unused Places, run through each of them and click delete. I do stuff like this while watching Netflix on my computer. One of those brainless repetitive activities.

Renee
RootsMagic