2 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

When adding children to a parent, the program takes the user to the very top of the name list. As I recall, earlier versions of RM took the user to the top of the surname of the parent. If I need to add a particularly long surname, this can be a pain. In any case, I'd like to see the program take me to the first entry of the parent's surname.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

On the New person screen, RM automatically fills in the surname if you add the child to the father when the father is already in the database.

If you are adding a child to a mother, and, the mother has been married more than once, the father's surname is auto filled for your choice of parents.

If you are adding a child to a mother and adding a new spouse to the mother which will be the father of the child, RM has no idea what name you will pick for the Spouse/father's name so the list opens at the top of the list.

If you add a child that is an existing person to a parent, RM also goes to the beginning of the list.

RM Explorer opens with the person's name that is highlighted on the main screen.

That could be useful when adding an existing child to parents as long as it is the father that was highlighted on the main screen, and we didn't have to navigate through too many people with that surname to get to the right child.

You can start typing the surname and when you get the right surname highlighted, type a comma and the given name.

Personally, I find that the quickest way to go directly to the person I am.looking for.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

It took me a minute to figure out you were adding an existing person. I tested how it worked in RM3 and its the same behavior starting at the top of the list. I could add an enhancement request to be taken to the father's surname in the list, but I don't see how helpful that will be if you have a long list of people with that surname. You still will need to type the full name to move to the right person. Personally, I think the current behavior of starting at the top of the list and typing the name you want works best

Renee
RootsMagic