Photo

Can't start new database or add to it in android app - useless!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

I OWN Rootsmagic 7, the full version.   I recently got a Samsung Tablet.  I counted on being able to do research at my sister's house yesterday, using my tablet instead of the clunky tablet.  

First, it wouldn't even OPEN until I linked it to Dropbox.   I do not like Dropbox, and I don't want to do dropbox.  I would be content to move the files manually, email, or hand copy for all the work I was going to get done yesterday.

Second, when I finally got it open, I found NO way to create a database, and NO way to add to it.  Evidently one is supposed to just use the tablet app to show the database in Dropbox to family members, or something.

COMPLETELY USELESS.   This WILL make a big difference what genealogy program I purchase in the future. 

I wouldn't mind paying for the tablet app, but I cannot imagine what you are using for heads when you think people who may only OWN tablets or phones don't need to create the database and add people to it before they view or edit it!   Honest!  

And get over needing to use it with Dropbox.  Why would I want everything to suddenly disappear off all my computers because Dropbox gets an idea.   I WILL NOT USE DROPBOX!  If I have to use Dropbox to use Rootsmagic, this is certainly the last version of your software I will ever buy!

#2 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

Legacy has such an app. AND you can create a new database in the app.   And sync it without using some hoagy half functional 3rd party service. 

If you decide you don't want everything you put on Dropbox on every device you have, which I certainly don't want them all on my tablet at once, and you delete some of it, IT DELETES IT FROM EVERY COMPUTER YOU OWN.    Why am I going to use this very dangerous piece of junk!

http://www.legacyfamilytreestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FAM_Android  

I have liked Rootsmagic better, until now - easier to use, but your failure to make your app at all useful changes that equation.  

You might want to hurry up and fix it.  

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

It appears you didn't research the difference between using an app and the full program and what runs on different devices.

We never advertised that the RootsMagic App is editable. It's read-only.  It only runs on Android or iOS devices. We cannot offer an editable app for free. Even the one Legacy partnered with isn't free. Eventually we will have an editable app but I doubt it will be free.

For mobility and the ability to edit you need the full RootsMagic program. A tablet that runs a full version of Windows would give you that. Microsoft makes 2 tablets, both called "Surface". The plain "Surface" will run Windows RT and will not run our software. "Surface Pro" will run Windows 8 and will run our software. I know Laura is using an Acer tablet with Windows on it and that's her main computer. You just have to make sure what you buy will run what you are planning to use it for. 

I recently bought a HP Stream notebook that runs RootsMagic just fine off it. Very small and lightweight laptop. It's similar in size to the Google Chromebook but you can't install RootsMagic on those. I bought a refurbished one off Groupon for $182.00 and it works great. The battery life is really great too. 

The other option is to use RootsMagic To-Go off your flash drive. Then you can use your family's computer and just plug in the flash drive and run the full program off it. The RootsMagic To-Go utility program helps you replace your files to keep it current.

The issue you mentioned with Dropbox as the only method of getting the database to the device is only with Android app, with the iOS app you can use iTunes. You don't need to install Dropbox on your computer in order to use it. Just upload Dropbox to the cloud in RootsMagic using File>Save to Dropbox for Apps. Using Dropbox through the cloud is about as secure as sending it via email. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 rknechtel

rknechtel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

The problem with Dropbox is it thinks it OWNS what you put on their service.

http://www.cloudpro....cklash-over-tcs

There should be a way to create a folder structure and put the RootsMagic file in it and the app should see it.

#5 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

The problem with Dropbox is it thinks it OWNS what you put on their service.

http://www.cloudpro....cklash-over-tcs

There should be a way to create a folder structure and put the RootsMagic file in it and the app should see it.

Really?   You're putting stock in a five year old article?