13 replies to this topic

#1 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

I clicked on Family Search and received a message saying I needed to purchase My Heritage in order to view the Family Search records, upsetting me.  Nonetheless I went ahead and tried to purchase a subscription only to be told I needed to provide a phone number in order to verify the purchase.  Problem...I am deaf, deaf, deaf and therefore unable to use the phone.  So I am not to be allowed to purchase the subscription?  My Heritage is impossible to navigate to see if there is some other way to purchase the subscription.  RM has no business to promote this website if it discriminates against the hearing impaired.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

So every other user of RootsMagic or FamilySearch who are not deaf should do without the benefits of using WebHints or FamilySearch for MyHeritage because you are deaf?

I searched Google for MyHeritage Help and clicked on the MyHeritage Help Center link.

Just below the search box on this page of MyHeritage's website there is a link to contact a Service Representative.

http://helpcenter.myheritage.com/

I just found this email contact for MyHeritage General Staff which mkght be what you should use to contact MyHeritage.

http://www.beovide.c...itage-popup.php

Or, possibily, you could use a friend or family members number with their permission.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

2015_11_27_101209.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

FamilySearch has the indexes to some commercial websites databases on their site. Only if you want to look at the actually images do you need to purchase a subscription. This type of arrangement is a very small part of FamilySearch's website, most images are free because FamilySearch owns them. If you purchase a MyHeritage subscription you will have the added benefit in RootsMagic using WebHints for MyHeritage and seeing all the database they have.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

Laura, ADA (American Disabilities Act) was established to allow the disabled to be more independent without having to rely on others to help them out.  If you were wheelchair-bound, you would want to be able to go on a ramp into a building rather than have someone carry you into the building.  You would want to be able to use the restroom without having someone carry you into the stall and assist you in using the toilet. I would never ask a friend or a family member to accept the phone call;  it violates their privacy.  Also I have done this before, and the caller would hound them to put me on the phone. In fact I was involved in a lawsuit against one company who refused to accept my application for a credit card; they insisted on speaking directly to me on the phone. 

Additionally the ADA requires equal (emphasis here) accessibility, so yes if I cannot purchase the subscription, then neither can anyone else.  It is not fair.  But I am not mean enough to insist that no one else here has accessibility if I cannot have it. I however do have the right to express my concerns and feelings, and I do have the right to ask that the others be understanding, considerate, and accommodating.

I did contact My Family directly through their email - no response.  In fact I tried this a year ago regarding a different issue and never got a response from them. 

Nonetheless I appreciate your other suggestions and the help of the others hereand will give it one more try as I am unable to view the images; they are covered by a popup saying I needed to purchase a subscription if I wanted to view the images. 

#6 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:29 AM

2015_11_27_101209.jpg

Already tried this...no response.

#7 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

FamilySearch has the indexes to some commercial websites databases on their site. Only if you want to look at the actually images do you need to purchase a subscription. This type of arrangement is a very small part of FamilySearch's website, most images are free because FamilySearch owns them. If you purchase a MyHeritage subscription you will have the added benefit in RootsMagic using WebHints for MyHeritage and seeing all the database they have.

This is why I am willing to purchase a subscription; I do want to view the images.  Unfortunately they won't let me because I cannot use the phone.

I will try email once more, and if it does not work, then I will have no choice but to file a complaint against them with the Office of Civil Rights in the Department of Justice. If only they would give a phone number for me to call, I can do it through a relay service.  But would they accept relay service calls?  Based on my experiences with companies with such discriminating attitudes, I doubt they would.  Instead they would probably insist on speaking directly with me, not through a professional third party.   

#8 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

This is what I found at their Help Center...

Can I pay for a family site subscription by phone?

Yes, you can pay for a family site or a data subscription by speaking to a representative on the phone.

You are welcome to write us an email to sales@myheritage.com, and one of our friendly representatives will contact you and will be happy to personally assist you. Please provide your phone number and the best time for us to contact you.

Ouch, so what this means is that I cannot call them through a relay service which is in violation of law. Nonetheless I will send them an email asking them for a phone number for me to call.  Under law they must provide a way for me to call them even if it is a private phone number of someone on the staff. 

I will give them two weeks to accommodate me.  If they don't, then off to the Department of Justice go I.

#9 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

This is the message I just sent to My Family.  Let's hope someone at that company will be considerate enough to help resolve tis issue.

"I am deaf and therefore unable to use the phone directly with anyone except through a relay service.  Would someone provide me with a phone number for me to call so I can purchase a subscription?

I sent a message regadring this a few days ago and have not received a response.  I would really rather not to have to file a complaint against your company with the Office of Civil Rights in the Department of Justice."

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

Your problem is with MyHeritage. And, since MyHeritage is based in Isreal, the U. S. Discrimination Act may not apply to MyHeritage.

I am not a lawyer, but, I doubt if that Act would apply to RootsMagic or FamilySearch contracting with MyHeritage to sync with the submitted family lines on MyHeritage's site because some of RootsMagic or FamilySearch's customers are deaf.

I have disabilities of my own, and, I sympathize with the problems and frustrations of others living with disabilities.

But, it would be unfair of RootsMagic or FamilySearch to discriminate against their customers who are not deaf.

#11 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:47 AM

Laura, yes, the ADA does apply to Roots Magic.  If RM is an American-based company, it cannot contract with companies -American or foreign - that discriminate against the disabled.  Netflix was penalized for doing this, and as a result they had to cut back on their streaming services, releasing only those with closed captions, thus limiting the availability of films to the hearies. 

Anyway I finally received a response from MyHeritage Help.  They gave me a phone number to enter on the Data Subscription Purchase form and assured me that the purchase would go through without their calling me to verify the purchase.  This I did, and the webpage rejected the form, saying the phone number was invalid. I sent back a reply, advising them of this.

I did find their phone number to call M-F, so I will give this a try. If everything fails, then off to the Department of Justice this matter goes.  Of course if the Department chooses to review this matter, this would mean that RM will need to hire lawyers, making this expensive for RM.  It would be in their interest to require the Israel-based MyHeritage to comply with the ADA.  The only way RM would be excused is if they prove this would be too costly a service for them; in other words, they would need to prove that it would be too expensive for them to require MyHeritage to provide a way for the deaf to make purchases.

#12 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

Amazing!  My Data Subscription Purchase was accepted even though it was rejected at its webpage due to the invalid number they gave me to use.  After it was rejected,I got an email from them thanking me for the purchase, blah, blah.  Apparently they were somehow put on alert.

It is sad that sometimes we need to make noises to get access to the same services that the nondisabled get.

So all is ok now.

Karen

#13 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:08 AM

Amazing!  My Data Subscription Purchase was accepted even though it was rejected at its webpage due to the invalid number they gave me to use.  After it was rejected,I got an email from them thanking me for the purchase, blah, blah.  Apparently they were somehow put on alert.

It is sad that sometimes we need to make noises to get access to the same services that the nondisabled get.

So all is ok now.

Karen

It's sad sometimes that Americans are so sue happy.  I respect the fact that you are hearing impaired, but don't take it out on the world.  Both I and my domestic partner have disabilities.  My partner has to use a wheelchair to get around.  Neither of us threatens a lawsuit every time we encounter an obstacle that challenges our mobility.

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

Any issue with buying a MyHeritage subscription has nothing to do with RootsMagic. It is unreasonable to expect a company to answer support questions on the weekend. Expecting a reply to an email the day after a major holiday is asking a lot too. I am closing this thread so this discussion does not continue on our forums. 

Renee
RootsMagic