• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MaryMac

MaryMac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

I am working at transferring my data from The Master Genealogist to Roots Magic.  It seems to have worked fine, except for the sources, which I was expecting to be more complicated.

I watched the online video about sources and citations in Roots Magic which was about a year old, I believe.  It was suggested that former TMG users not spend the time fixing all their sources, because Roots Magic was working on software to help with this.

How do I know when this has been done? Maybe it has been done already?

Which program should I use while I wait for this extra software to be developed?

Do I continue to use TMG, and then do the import again for all my data when the software is ready?

Or

If I start adding to my data which is Roots Magic now, will I then be able to use the software to fix the sources that I had already imported, since some of the sources will be Roots Magic format, and some older sources will be as imported from TMG?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:28 PM

There have been only a couple of minor improvements in the TMG direct import since RM 6.3.3.2 in Oct 2014. I very much doubt that there will be any more. So you have to do everything when you migrate out of TMG. Fix things in TMG that cannot translate well. Then fix the rest in RM and live with the unresolvable differences. There have been guidance, tips, experiences reported in the TMG forum, on the TMG-REFUGEES mailing list and on the SQLiteTools wiki http://sqlitetoolsfo...content?tag=TMG

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.