6 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2956 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

I still receive the odd email asking me to follow up on this subject but unfortunately until now time has prevented me doing so. So with a bit of forced free time on my hands I have published two videos on Youtube covering the basics of getting information from Excel spreadsheets to gedcom file.

For those interested this will greatly speed input of genealogy material and I would hope also encourage Rootsmagic to further enhance the possibilities and also the merging strength within the program. Without a doubt possibilities such as this and those of TomH greatly improve the desirability of Rootsmagic to new users and I would hope are regognized by the development team.

Youtube channel link below :

https://www.youtube....enealogyReviews

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7094 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:25 AM

Nice job!

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2956 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Nice job!

Thanks, I suppose it's not bad for left handed mouse work :D

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Root

#4 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

Vyger

This was enormously helpful and thought provoking.  

I look forward to your treatment of the FAMILY tags.

I haven't played much with gedcom, but you are really making me see the power of the dark side.

Thank you

Bev

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2956 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

I haven't played much with gedcom, but you are really making me see the power of the dark side.

Thank you for your comments, I'm glad the videos were helpful.

Family ties are not difficult, just another counter, and Rootsmagic is very tolerant allowing gedcom import in a family block by block format.

I know the family tag video is long overdue but having just harvested a considerable number of recently released civil registrations I will make an effort to close that gap in the near future. These civil registration tables include mothers maiden name so there is the potential to build families with an acceptable degree of accuracy and that is what I am intending to do.

Root

#6 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

I've been doing lots of interesting stuff with this.  Thank you so much for showing me the possibilites.

Bev

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2956 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:39 PM

I've been doing lots of interesting stuff with this.  Thank you so much for showing me the possibilites.

Bev

No problem Bev, only glad to be of assistance, you can go as far as you like but even with a basic grasp you can achieve great results.

I have been flat out of late but I am well aware I still need to explain family ties, unless you have worked it out for yourself during the long wait :D

Root