7 replies to this topic

#1 xdennisma

xdennisma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

Hello,

Hopefully this is a simple question, although I haven't been able to find this topic after browsing through the previous discussions.

For an upcoming family reunion, I'm looking to create and print the most comprehensive chart or tree possible, showing all of the individuals and their relationships in my database. However, the closest I can find is the Wall Chart, which isn't sufficient. If I start with me, it only shows my direct descendants (not uncles, cousins, their marriages, etc.) But if I use my oldest known descendant as the starting person, it omits all of the other branches not directly descended from him.

I've found various list options (Ahnentafel, Individual, Kinship, etc.) that would show everyone, but the presentation format isn't as a chart or tree.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated! Would I need to create this as a Custom Report, and if so, any tips on where to start?

Dennis

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

This can be done in RM Chart, but it may require a bunch of work. I've done something similar for a couple that wanted a family tree poster that showed their great-grandparents and all known descendants (cousins, etc.).

1. Create separate descendants wall charts for each of the great-grandfathers - save each as an RMC file.

2. Create an ancestor wall chart with a couple generations for the core couple.

3. Enlarge the canvas of chart #2 - really, really big.

4. In each of the wall charts from step #1 - consider re-arranging to make the charts more compact, and with a more vertical layout.

5. Paste all of the #1 charts into the #2 chart.

6. Move and rearrange individual boxes and lines until you get it all connected.

Keep in mind that the more interconnections there are between various branches, the more difficult it will be to find a clear and readable overall layout. RM Chart is made to be editable, but the task involved can get amazingly complicated.

Good luck !!!

#3 xdennisma

xdennisma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:27 PM

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I envisioned something precisely to this effect via the Custom Reports, but had been hoping there was already a template or other technique already available in RM. Unless I get some other suggestions, it sounds like this will be my only option. :-(

Dennis

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:36 PM

Your other option is to find a program or online service that can take your GEDCOM export and produce what you want. I cannot tell you which ones to try.

BTW, I think you mixed up ancestor and descendant in your explanation of what you want - made for a puzzling read.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

The RootsMagic Chart and Map Printing Service uses FamilyChartMasters. They can create a custom chart that will include all your family members. It's at least getting a quote from them. 

Use the link "Printing other chart types...." at the bottom of this page - http://rootsmagic.com/Wallcharts/ and it's all setup to send your data to them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 xdennisma

xdennisma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the replies!

TomH, you're right, I did mix up the use of descendants and ancestors. Whoops!

Renee, thanks for the tip, I've contacted the company for a quote.

Would anyone know if RM is considering adding this comprehensive chart as a template for a future release? I can't be the first person that would like to have this as an option!

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 xdennisma

xdennisma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:28 PM

Much appreciated, Renee! I did get the quote back, but since it includes the actual printing of the chart it is significantly higher than I was hoping to pay.